Nanjing far driver controllers

I understand the Qs138 is a 3 phase, 12 slot, 4 coil pairs with 5 magnet pairs motor.
FarDriver is counting coil pairs, not magnet pairs.
4 is correct and is self detected & hence why you can’t change it.

I finally have my crf250 72530 qs138 v3 up and running.
Impressive power output.
Need to do some more testing. Seems to run quite hot compared to the nuc24 it replaced.
But It is summer in norther Oz.

Can you share your settings? And maybe explain to me how the ratio to speed works. Can I for example start and end with 100% or do I have to keep a end percentage in mind?

I have found actual RPM reported in android software is incorrect, it is 5/4 higher than actual RPM.
Looks like they messed up coil/magnet pair in calculation.
So to limit RPM to 7000 I have to set maxRPM to 8750.

Also plots in android app are all over the place and completely unrelated to the real time measurements.
P.S. I have figured out it is not a real time plot, but about 1 minute of data recorded at the first activation of motor since power up or reset.
The battery voltage line (black) is centered on the rated voltage setting in the motor params.

Stevebequik said:
I understand the Qs138 is a 3 phase, 12 slot, 4 coil pairs with 5 magnet pairs motor.

Impressive power output.
Need to do some more testing. Seems to run quite hot compared to the nuc24 it replaced.

I'm currently working on a CRF conversion .... How did you fix the motor. Swing axle especially. A picture will inspire me.

I've tested 72530 on my trials bike with the QS120 motor.
It works well with the same parameters I posted earlier for the QS138.
At a first glance it looks more effective than my old Kelly, and the throttle response is very fast.

The only problem I cannot figure out is the throttle position only limits the torque, not the max RPM.
As a result, it is much harder to control the bike in slippery conditions.
On my ten y.o. Kelly, both torque and RPM limits are proportional to the throttle position, even in torque mode.

I have the same problem. The first 2mm of the throttle is very aggressive and uncontrollable. The rest is very smooth. Asked several people about this issue but they couldn’t or wouldn’t give me a solution to this problem..

Considering what they replied when I asked for torque curves I will not expect much.

Attachments

• chrome_69OhkH9Bra.png
    chrome_69OhkH9Bra.png
    203.4 KB · Views: 1,687
I know how the curves work but that’s not the problem. When twisting the throttle 2mm the rpm keeps rising until it’s reaching a certain point. From there it’s really smooth and easy to controle. But before that it’s impossible specially when using 200/250a draws.. And line and eco should be turned around I guess?

ECO is slightly better, Sport is even worse as expected.
I believe it is the speed loop issue, throttle curve will not solve it.
~2000 no load RPM on 1.5% throttle is insane.

I am in contact with the engineer through aliexpress seller i have bought the controller from.
All the things he suggested so far did not help.

Yeah exactly hope the guy can help you! And if you could share it that would be awesome! I really tried everything I’m thinking about lowering the ratio to speed at 500, 1000, 1500 to 80, 90, 100% maybe this will help? Haven’t tried it yet..

Is this problem only with no load?
My Sabvoton is also tourqe controlled.
With no load 2% throttle is Max rpm.
On the road everything acts very Smooth.
My 96850 will arrive in a few days.

That could also be the case! I haven’t tried it on the road only on the bench maybe that’s it. I will give it a try this weekend and let you guys know.

Yes, it is with no load or in low traction like mud or snow. If the wheel sleeps it'll spin like a mad dog.
Today I have tested it on snow, it is hell crazy comparing to the old Kelly on the same current settings.

Low RPM, Mid RPM params should provide limiting points as I was told, but it does not work.
I have set Low RPM to 1000, Mid to 2000, but it did not change anything.

Nuc also can limit torque+RPM with throttle:
Speed+torque — combined mode (as Kelly), similar to the operation of the gas pedal in a car with an internal combustion engine.
In the case of selecting the Speed+torque mode, pressing throttle to 50%, when achieved 50% speed, the current consumption will be reduced to hold speed. The acceleration current will also be proportionally lower.

Stevebequik said:

Impressive power output.

There is no way for a controller to identify "coil pairs" in any controller as far as i know. Where did you get this understanding? I don't see how magnet poles would be identified either as a 12 pair motor run at x rpm gives exactly the same signal output as a 6 pair motor run at 2x rpm.

What "coil pairs" are electrically will depend on if coils are connected in wye or delta and with coils in serial, parallell, half parallell connection so it is not possible in general to say that a 12 slot motor has 4 pairs.

dominik h said:
Is this problem only with no load?
My Sabvoton is also tourqe controlled.
With no load 2% throttle is Max rpm.
On the road everything acts very Smooth.
My 96850 will arrive in a few days.

So I tried the Fardriver on my ktm where normally the Votol sits. This is the worst controller I every used in my life! The throttle delay is ridiculously dangerous!! When releasing the throttle the rpm keeps rising for about 0.5/1sec until it drops down. Also the power was way weaker than my votol em150. I set it to 200amps like the votol but it only gave me 174amps.. When I turned it up to 240amps it finally gave me 200amps but it still felt weaker than the votol. I removed it right after the test ride and installed the votol back right away. I will never buy a fardriver again. Maybe they work great on hub motors but on mid drive motors they are a pain in the ass!!

MMD said:
This is the worst controller I every used in my life! The throttle delay is ridiculously dangerous!!
With Throttle rate maxed out, I did not feel any delay at all on my QS120.
On throttle release it's instantly free wheeling with motor braking and recuperation turned off.

DEHiCKA said:
MMD said:
This is the worst controller I every used in my life! The throttle delay is ridiculously dangerous!!
With Throttle rate maxed out, I did not feel any delay at all on my QS120.
On throttle release it's instantly free wheeling with motor braking and recuperation turned off.

Can you show me your settings? Because I think I tried everything to get rid of it and didn’t succeed.. It was unridable like this.

Have you verified the throttle has a smooth voltage swing as you increase the throttle? This sounds like it could be a hardware (throttle potentiometer) or maybe a wiring issue.

Jrbe said:
Have you verified the throttle has a smooth voltage swing as you increase the throttle? This sounds like it could be a hardware (throttle potentiometer) or maybe a wiring issue.

Yes I tried 3 different throttles all the same..

MMD said:
Can you show me your settings? Because I think I tried everything to get rid of it and didn’t succeed.. It was unridable like this.
It the same as I have posted earlier in this thread. I have only limited the max RPM and turned on motor braking.
If Throttle rate is maxed out to 224 it is instant response.

Also found out ECO throttle curve can be tuned by ECO coeff parameter.
8 - is closest to the linear (but still very different) , 1 - furthermost (very slow rising in the first half).

Hi Larsb,
This was the chinenglish response I got from the guy at FarDriver website.
Actually doesn’t make sense, as I believe the app tachometer reads too high.
Want to get hold of a handheld tacho to check.

I am having trouble getting the max speed and max torque on my far driver controller. Does anyone know what "test angel" and "unfollow"buttons mean? How do I use them?

Attachments

• IMG_20220125_142733.jpg
    IMG_20220125_142733.jpg
    472.4 KB · Views: 1,317
Hello Guys, I will use fardriver controller ND 72530 with QS 138 90H 4000W mid-drive motor. It will arrive in couple of days later. I will share my experience with you.

Hey guys I have information and instructions I want to share about configuring this far driver controller on the app... It's very difficult to understand, hope someone can explain this better?

Attachments

• IMG_20220126_120047.jpg
    IMG_20220126_120047.jpg
    711.9 KB · Views: 2,428
  • IMG_20220126_122758.jpg
    IMG_20220126_122758.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 2,427
  • IMG_20220126_122741.jpg
    IMG_20220126_122741.jpg
    678 KB · Views: 2,423
  • IMG_20220126_122726.jpg
    IMG_20220126_122726.jpg