KTM Freeride E-XC Akku repair

Thanks for all the pictures, first time I can see inside that battery brick!
It's 3 layers, right? 120 cells per layer if I counted right, so 360 cells total.
And they wasted all that space using 20R cells. Unbelievable.

Are all the metal rods (except the threaded ones, that I imagine are to close the structure) for cooling? They just exchange heat between the cells and the large plates?

Samsung SDI INR18650-30Q 18650 3000mAh 2670mAh 20.0A
would be a good choice for an update.

1/3 more Wh ....

Nice, cool too see inside that pack! Thanks for posting and will be interesting to see how the repair goes. Good luck!!

Repair was successful.
The error was gone.
Replaced one cell and all voltages are back to normal.
Electronics took a while to relearn.
Despite being fully charged, it had to be charged for a long time in order to be fully displayed again.

And don't be afraid of the volts. 100V You don't feel it at all. 200V makes a little shock. To be on the safe side, I didn't try 300V again :lol:

steve2000 said:
Repair was successful.
The error was gone.

There was just one bad cell and the pack was unusable because of the error?

Thank you so much for your hard work to share these pics with us all! :bolt: I wanted to know, and you saved me the time and money to find out!

jhoexp said:
steve2000 said:
Repair was successful.
The error was gone.

There was just one bad cell and the pack was unusable because of the error?

We were lucky. One cell pulled the other 6 down in parallel. As a result, too little voltage in one bank on the balancer and battery was no longer usable

liveforphysics said:
Thank you so much for your hard work to share these pics with us all! :bolt: I wanted to know, and you saved me the time and money to find out!

You're welcome

Hi, I am buying a used KTM exc freeride soon, i was wondering . If i was to replace the 2000mah lipos with 3500mah lipos will i need to do anything else. Or just soldering in the new batteries is enough. Will the software and bms recognise the larger battery and ill have increased range?
Is it that simple?
Does anybody know someone who has upgraded these battery packs.
I read the new batteries from the 2021 model come with 3000mah lipos..

thankyou

O reparo foi bem-sucedido.
O erro desapareceu.
Substituiu uma célula e todas as tensões voltaram ao normal.
A eletrônica demorou um pouco para reaprender.
Apesar de estar totalmente carregado, teve que ser carregado por muito tempo para poder ser totalmente exibido novamente.

E não tenha medo dos volts. 100V Você não sente nada. 200V dá um choquezinho. Para garantir, não tentei 300V novamente :lol:
Estou com um problema na minha ktm freeride secalhar deve de ser o mesmo da sua. Será que trocar as células o BMS vai aceitar?

Attachments

• IMG_20230208_211021.jpg
    IMG_20230208_211021.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 18
I have a short question...
Are you know how i can measure the voltage of the battery?

This is GREAT information!! As a current owner of a 2017 Freeride I'm hopeful that somebody will be able to not only repair these packs but offer upgrade options to keep these bikes running. THANK YOU!!

I got a defective battery and i'm going to replace 2000mAh cells with 3400mAh ones, cracked it open today and now i'm looking if there is the same problem, otherwise electronics needs to be checked and that will make things a lot more complicated...will post updates on how it goes.

Pack with 10A cells would put out 15+kw, that would be enough i think?

Hello friends. I just changed all 360 batteries of my freeride-e main battery with new PKcell 2.7 Ah, high current. It took me more than a month as I made new jumpers. The old batteries gave me a measure of 1.65 to 1.7 Ah. It is a 2016 bike with 2.5 kwh.
It is now uncharged in 268 volts. I was charging the previous batteries by sun with 6 50v photovoltaics that produced 360 volts and a series controller that gave the KTM 303volts. My problem is that there is an orange cable that is plugged to the white dot of the first upper relay but I lost the position it goes to. Can you help me? Because I remember, but I'm not sure it goes to the ground (box). And both the charger (error51) and the bike (error43) don't accept what I did. You are my last hope before I manually drive the two white high voltage relays to give power directly to the motor controller. But I am a little afraid of doing that. So I hope on your reply, or at least a photo of the upper place with the two relays and the cables on them.
Thank you. Manolis from Crete, Greece.

Pack with 10A cells would put out 15+kw, that would be enough i think?
Only at full charge. And even this is not enough, this is a 16 - 18 kW bike. Assuming 90% efficiency, depending on charge, you will need:
18000÷0.9÷360÷4,2 = 13A at full charge
18000÷0.9÷360÷3.7 = 15A at half charge
18000÷0.9÷360÷3.0 = 18A at empty battery
Which means, using 10A cells will cut down your power by voltage drop, which strains the cells and lowers the nominal capacity significantly.

Hello friends. I just changed all 360 batteries of my freeride-e main battery with new PKcell 2.7 Ah, high current. It took me more than a month as I made new jumpers. The old batteries gave me a measure of 1.65 to 1.7 Ah. It is a 2016 bike with 2.5 kwh.
It is now uncharged in 268 volts. I was charging the previous batteries by sun with 6 50v photovoltaics that produced 360 volts and a series controller that gave the KTM 303volts. My problem is that there is an orange cable that is plugged to the white dot of the first upper relay but I lost the position it goes to. Can you help me? Because I remember, but I'm not sure it goes to the ground (box). And both the charger (error51) and the bike (error43) don't accept what I did. You are my last hope before I manually drive the two white high voltage relays to give power directly to the motor controller. But I am a little afraid of doing that. So I hope on your reply, or at least a photo of the upper place with the two relays and the cables on them.
Thank you. Manolis from Crete, Greece.
This is enormous work you've done there, respect! I sincerely hope somebody can tell you where to put this cable. Otherwise, there are defective used batteries for the KTM for sale for like 300-400 Euros. I know it's a shame to spend but better than an unusable battery. You could open it up and check the cabling.
One question, since you had everything in your hands: Do you think 21700 type cells would fit in between the Aluminium rods? I know they are also 5mm higher than the 18650 but this is another thing.
Did you spot weld or solder?

Last edited:
This is enormous work you've done there, respect! I sincerely hope somebody can tell you where to put this cable. Otherwise, there are defective used batteries for the KTM for sale for like 300-400 Euros. I know it's a shame to spend but better than an unusable battery. You could open it up and check the cabling.
One question, since you had everything in your hands: Do you think 21700 type cells would fit in between the Aluminium rods? I know they are also 5mm higher than the 18650 but this is another thing.
Did you spot weld or solder?
The case can only contain 18650. 21700 would need so big modification, I don't think is affordable. Moreover the box must be expanded to hold the more length. So, no. Anyway now there are higher capacity 18650. But anybody has to measure the capacity himself as most of them write bigger numbers than I measured. I spotted the couples of batteries in series and then I soldered the routes for the paralleling and the cable to the bms. Very difficult and dangerous as 300 volts are fatal because direct current instead of alternative starts arc that causes plasma on air and if you get electrocuted and you manage to pull your hand, it arcs for 5-10cm.
So more than shocked you get burned. Nice eh?
I experienced some arcs from connectors after burning the switches I used to connect the solar charger. The only way to handle it is by high voltage / high current mosfets of cathode ray tube tv's transistors.
And in the connection of the batteries, I used gloves as if I got killed, nobody would be able to use my freeride-e.
So now for one and a half month I am using my combustion engines motorcycles to go around.
If you have anybody who would sell me a damaged battery, I am ready to pay. I was searching for something like this in ebay but I didn't find anything, before dismantling my working battery. Of course if somebody wants to sell a working battery in logic price, please let me know.

The case can only contain 18650. 21700 would need so big modification, I don't think is affordable. Moreover the box must be expanded to hold the more length. So, no. Anyway now there are higher capacity 18650. But anybody has to measure the capacity himself as most of them write bigger numbers than I measured. I spotted the couples of batteries in series and then I soldered the routes for the paralleling and the cable to the bms. Very difficult and dangerous as 300 volts are fatal because direct current instead of alternative starts arc that causes plasma on air and if you get electrocuted and you manage to pull your hand, it arcs for 5-10cm.
So more than shocked you get burned. Nice eh?
I experienced some arcs from connectors after burning the switches I used to connect the solar charger. The only way to handle it is by high voltage / high current mosfets of cathode ray tube tv's transistors.
And in the connection of the batteries, I used gloves as if I got killed, nobody would be able to use my freeride-e.
So now for one and a half month I am using my combustion engines motorcycles to go around.
If you have anybody who would sell me a damaged battery, I am ready to pay. I was searching for something like this in ebay but I didn't find anything, before dismantling my working battery. Of course if somebody wants to sell a working battery in logic price, please let me know.
Thank you for the information, I appreciate.
Wow... I didn't know it was this dangerous. People above said it's not so much. I would use grounded collars on both hands, if I worked on it. This way, no matter what goes wrong, the power doesn't go through the body.

Well, I happen to stumble upon some batteries on Kleinanzeigen in Germany. They may be willing to send it to Greece.
POWER PACK AKKU FREERIDE E DEFEKT

Thank you for the information, I appreciate.
Wow... I didn't know it was this dangerous. People above said it's not so much. I would use grounded collars on both hands, if I worked on it. This way, no matter what goes wrong, the power doesn't go through the body.

Well, I happen to stumble upon some batteries on Kleinanzeigen in Germany. They may be willing to send it to Greece.
POWER PACK AKKU FREERIDE E DEFEKT
Unfortunately he only offers personally pick up. And it is not easy for me to travel to Germany, just to buy the battery.
About electrocution, ground collars are used only to prevent damage to electrostatic sensitive devices as CMOS semiconductors.
And use of that, makes electric shock more easy. Because the shock needs two poles. One then will be the collar. Take care.

Back