How do you think solid state batteries will change how we use hardware?

Some more info on NIO's semi solid state batteries that are scheduled to be in production cars later this year:

https://www.autoevolution.com/news/nio-s-150-kwh-solid-state-battery-pack-will-actually-be-a-semi-ssb-pack-175124.html
According to what Li said at the time, this semi-SSB would comprise “in-situ solidified solid-liquid electrolyte, inorganic pre-lithiated carbon-silicon anode, and nano-scale ultra-high nickel cathode.”

Of interest is the investment by Huawei and Xiaomi which means we could see the tech in mobile computing devices and micro-mobility.

ebike4healthandfitness said:
1.15 kwh per liter (oh yeah!!)

Claimed.

We know about battery claims.

Here are some you can buy:

https://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-diamond-6s-22000mah-semi-solid-state-li-ion-battery.html

There is a man who tested them in this thread named RichardG:

https://community.openppg.com/t/new-battery-option-better-power-density/2274/43

Foxtech:
The ultimate, money-no-object highest power density per weight is the Foxtech Diamond. A similar pack configuration to the Bonkas. I have posted my capacity investigation on these in this thread above.
These are what Foxtech call semi-solid lithium. They have impressive energy density specifications, which my testing has confirmed.

4 x Foxtech Diamond gives 7% more energy for 15% less weight than 4 x Bonkas.
But costs 28% more.
The Foxtechs are very difficult to get hold of ( but I now have four!)
They need re-wiring with thicker cable to work with OpenPPG.
The Foxtech’s longevity is yet to be tested.
They are currently only available in a 6S configuration.

Chalo said:

Claimed.

Actually they didn't claim 1.15 kWh per liter. I thought I had derived that from the energy capacity vs. volume, but I made. a mistake and 1.15 liters is the volume.

570 watt hours/1.15 liters gives .496 kWh per liter.

If anyone is wondering the semi-solid state batteries sold by Foxtech have specs which match up exactly with those of solidstatelion.com (the company which is making the semi solid state batteries for NIO).

An example would be to compare this one:

http://www.solidstatelion.com/en/product_page/294.html

....to the 7s 22000mAh in the Foxtech chart below:

(Both have exactly the same dimensions and exactly the same weight. It seems obvious that Foxtech is buying these from solidstatelion.com and rebranding)

Attachments

• spec-3.jpg
    spec-3.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 471
Interesting times watching the news releases on EV battery tech. Reminds me of a food fight. Tremendous amounts of investment and a turf fight to boot. Interested in seeing how the 46-80 format proves out and the LFP format that develops over the near future. Looking at the numbers, the lowest cost, and most reliable will most likely own it as most of the current designs will not find a market unless they show much better performance characteristics that justify the added expense.

speedmd said:
Interesting times watching the news releases on EV battery tech. Reminds me of a food fight. Tremendous amounts of investment and a turf fight to boot. Interested in seeing how the 46-80 format proves out and the LFP format that develops over the near future. Looking at the numbers, the lowest cost, and most reliable will most likely own it as most of the current designs will not find a market unless they show much better performance characteristics that justify the added expense.
If past PR announcements are any indication then 90% will prove to be "all hat and no cattle".

speedmd said:

Apparently solid state battery design works with both LFP and high nickel cathode designs:

https://www.quantumscape.com/resources/blog/lithium-iron-phosphate-on-the-quantumscape-solid-state-lithium-metal-platform/

Here is something I thought was very interesting while I was researching the NIO semi solid state batteries:

https://insideevs.com/news/561903/norway-nio-first-battery-swap/

Chalo said:

Claimed.

Actually they didn't claim 1.15 kWh per liter. I thought I had derived that from the energy capacity vs. volume, but I made. a mistake and 1.15 liters is the volume.

570 watt hours/1.15 liters gives .496 kWh per liter.

Comparison:

A Samsung 25R cell has a volumetric density of 527 wh per liter. However, once assembled into a EM3ev rectangular battery pack volumetric density drops to around 235 Wh per liter.

https://em3ev.com/shop/50v-14s7p-rectangle-battery-pack/

So the foxtech semi-solid state batteries at 496 Wh per liter have more than twice the volume density as a well designed 18650 cell battery pack using the Samsung 25R. (Furthermore, Foxtech lists the semi state battery packs up to 14S with 30Ah and these larger packs still have roughly the same Wh per volume as the smaller packs. e.g. 14S30Ah has 498 Wh per liter.)

Looks like Toyota could be releasing an EV made with Solid State Batteries as soon as 2027. Keeping my fingers crossed for this technology. If Toyota is in, so am I.

Also a Toyota Hybrid by 2025.

That is why a proper system should consist of a very light swingarm/chainstay-mounted middrive with belt drive/reduction to the rear hub with an other step of reduction inside the hub the same way it is done in geared motors (basically a high reduction ratio single speed IGH... or even 2-3 speed for that matter).

Light, low noise, efficient, belt can slide on and off easily when removing the wheel, no retentioning need (it works on my system), no wires to the wheel, low maintenance, excellent heat shedding (swingarm/frame acting as heat sink!)

It is still losses, and in takes considerale stop/go cycles or hills your so steep you need to modulate your speed to outregen them.
It is much better to battle those losses with very thin laminations, too. 0.2mm and even 0.15mm are common on RC motors now and they do not cost a fortune!

Now you are just being mean.
There are a couple ebikes (more like high performance E mopeds) using a swingarm mounted motor with gear reduction and regen. Also carbon fiber frame, full suspension and motorcycle rated disk brakes. Not much out there on the production version, but this is one the pre production version...

This is the production version...

Same bike with different motor/controller sells under different names

Back