Do slime thick tubes work

999zip999

100 TW
I have a 26 inch mixes hookworm with extra thick slime tubes and 1 months ago are you got a staple in my tire the other side of town go to the gas station filled up it work chapel Hill it was flat got to call the calvary to pick me up.
one month later I just got down to the beach I love and there's another arrow M50 stable just a poster stable I pulled it out the thing went to fly to ride is right next to the hey you like my own place and filled it up and got home.
So if it's holding air I should be able to ride this thing and tire should be able to fill staple hole ?
I'm trying not to take it apart and just take a bike ride for the next 3 weeks the bike goes 40 miles an hour so could be a problem.
Has anyone had good luck with slime tools and thorns and or Staples.

I have a slow leak so every 2 or 3 days I have to pump up the tire if I had slime it would clog the slow leak. What are these slime thick tubes you speak of?

I have never used the storebought tubes from Slime that are pre-slimed. Back when I used that brand of sealant, I added it myself into the thicker-rubber tube of my choice. You remove the valve core and put it in thru what is now an open hole.

I wouldn't buy the Slime-branded stuff as you can roll your own with minimal effort. And do better.

Slime worked well on a fast commuter bike (30-35 mph) that picked up glass shards, metal strips, nails and thorns. The trick was to have pliers ready. When you hear the hissing, jump off, find the object in the tire, pull it out with the pliers (pliers work better than puffy blood-filled fingers when its a glass shard) and then - and this is the most important part - jump on and keep riding. The sealant will not work well unless centrifugal force is applied to let the sealant goop into the hole in quantity. If you just stand and watch it bubble, you will finish the ride walking the bike most likely.

Slime was good for holes 'up to' 1/4" according to their adverts and thats about right. For the bigger ones, you wanted to be able to air back up after it sealed as much of the air comes out initially waiting for it to finally seal.

Nowadays there is a much MUCH better sealant. Its called FlatOut and it beats pretty much everything. It works as both a tube sealant and as a tubeless sealant. It seals much faster, it never dries out and it works on holes twice the size of Slime. If Slime had ever improved their product after its introduction, something like this is what they'd have come up with.

Kyle Chittock @ Bolton Ebikes did one of the best review comparisons of different puncture protection methods. FlatOut has different formulations for heavier tires like autos, atv's, mopeds, motorcycles. The Sportsman Formula is what I use but Home Depot sells one for yard tractor tires that is supposedly fine for ebikes.

[youtube]-X0y-2AsGRk[/youtube]

https://cdn3.volusion.com/n9g24.e5uwf/v/vspfiles/photos/Slime-26x175-Schrader-TR-2.jpg?v-cache=1638989334
here's a link for the super thick slime tube.
my neighbor owns electric bike store so I asked him he says he has the tuffy liners like went down in the store he wanted $60 for to tuffy liners. hell no they're only $12 .00 for two on eBay.
I would think that's my best option I heard about Triton the bead off an old tire and stick it in and then put the tube in but there's only so much room in there
thanks I'll check out the video.

999zip999 said:
https://cdn3.volusion.com/n9g24.e5uwf/v/vspfiles/photos/Slime-26x175-Schrader-TR-2.jpg?v-cache=1638989334
here's a link for the super thick slime tube.
my neighbor owns electric bike store so I asked him he says he has the tuffy liners like went down in the store he wanted $60 for to tuffy liners. hell no they're only $12 .00 for two on eBay.
I would think that's my best option I heard about Triton the bead off an old tire and stick it in and then put the tube in but there's only so much room in there
thanks I'll check out the video.

I stopped using my tuffy liners. They moved around between the tube and tire and eventually sliced my tube open. Now I use an extra old tube or two. They seem to stay in place better.

Thanks for the heads up on the tuffy liners. my extra thick slime tubes what move around under my 4500-watt I'm using at the moment. And I would cut off the base of the valve stem. I have a bunch of old tires too bad I got rid of the one that had silkworm or graphite protection. Those ware cutting a hole in the side of the tire because I got mud between my v brake calipers in the sidewall of a tire. I think these messes hookworms are pretty much wore out and I'm now into the Soft part of the rubber what tires I think the hardest most durable part is when you buy them new then the rubber just keeps getting softer and softer. So it's easier for that soft Barber to pick things up. maybe with rubber contact cement you could cement copy liners old tire inside these hookworms are 2.5 the other tire I'm looking at is 2.5 as I have it in my garage I think I have 20 tires sitting in my garage. Plus my neighbor who have helped out forever want to sell me to tuffy liners for 60 bucks yes the one who has electricbike's store with rentals anyway I'm out of the ranch I'm going to go across the territory bad if I get a flat I have to walk out with a 90 lb bike.

999zip999 said:
...I think the hardest most durable part is when you buy them new then the rubber just keeps getting softer and softer.
More like the tire tread is thickest when new, and gets thinner with use, thus easier for sharp objects to penetrate all the way thru.

In my experience, tire compound gets harder with age. No good for the rain and cold.

When you go long ranging best bring spare innertube, patch kit, tire-changing tools, pump. :wink:

You'll have to carry a pump of some kind for sure. Your tube will squirm when it gets low enough. You have to keep it fully hard.

But usually slime handles small holes like staples. Sheet rock screws not so good.

Wow at work I rode the ranch a lot back 15 miles some at 40 miles an hour. the reason for my paranoia I've always used super thick slime tubes pre slimed and all my problems have been with ripping off the valve stem three maybe four times.
and then when I finally got that first staple month ago pulled out walked it a mile to a gas station filled it up thought it was good road to the top of the hill with flat had to call the neighbor pick me up.I only get to call the neighbor so many times and say pick me up. so the Santa anas came through in everyone's allergies I have hit the top level dune to 70 mph winds. So what I have an addiction I have to go back to the ranch today now that a tire is holding. still will need to put a new tire on and the next couple of weeks but you got to get one of my other projects up and working first you always need two to three working ebikes. I only have two for the longest time but I'm going to make it 3.
thanks you guys but the next time I see you I'm going to slime you.
You've been slimed.

I'm trying out FlatOut like MoneyPit suggested. The stuff is thick, and you can see the Kevlar fibers floating around in it. I added about 6-7oz per tire. If I can make is from now through summer without a flat, I'll feel more confident, but the stuff looks promising. I'm using one extra tube for the hub motor tire for an added layer.

If I get a flat, I'll post the circumstances here if I can still find the thread.

Looks promising https://www.flatouttire.com/
https://www.flatouttire.com/shop/

That looks good. This is the first time I was able to use one of my heavy duty slime tubes and have it work as the other times the valve stem had been ripped off. 5 days are in 40 MI. I still have another new Schrader valve heavy duty slime tube so I'm not going to buy more stuff till I ran out of this.

Back