Stromer ST1x

Sinhu

100 mW
Hi !

A new project pop’t up :)

As i live in Norway where a couple of Stromer dealership’s as come and gone. At the moment it’s posible to pick up these bikes at a very reasonable price if they got a problem.

Stromer, if you contact them ask you to go to the nearest dealership thats in Denmark or Finland :)

So i picked up this Stromer ST1X 2019, used about 2000km with a drive error msg on it.

485A59A8-3394-4906-87C8-208D9004B8CD.jpeg

The reason for error msg was one of the cables from the hub motor thats been rubbing against the break disk

48FCDE33-1C06-408E-8460-CB760C8944A3.jpeg

After testing motor and sensors, replacing conectors the error msg still pop’s up.
So i need a Stromer sw to delete it, worst case new controller :(

So the Stromer ST1x rebuild has started, after looking evrything over i think i will try to make this rebuild looking as close to the original as possible.

Taking out all the parts i can’t use, this is what’s going to be sold as parts.

21324C45-5B6E-417F-B64E-B262A3E90FC9.jpeg

Test fit a Baserunner in the slot after removing the Stromer display, and it fit great :)

Found the real reason of the problems with the bike.

4DAA5B30-A87B-4149-85E5-B366C672B801.jpeg

Without any torque arm the motor has turned in the frame :(

Not very impresed with the torque handeling of Stromer in this model.

9B1A48A8-A748-4C99-BC85-A3AB2BFB0358.jpeg

Making a atempt of a new torque handeling solution, drilled and treaded a m4 just at the edge, using a m4 z- srew and grinding a slit in the motor shaft to fit.

Not sure if it’s enough 🤔

B2127B06-7F4C-4665-A403-ED6DEDE8F07F.jpegB10103B1-BE24-4AA7-A827-A3D771B5927C.jpeg

Had to go up to M5 and mounting a welding nut on the inside. Grinding a slit in the motor axl to fit the welding nut, and i can’t understand otherwise then this should work.

156BBC99-F105-4DBB-AD20-C85B525E18B2.jpeg

Still som grinding to do

69E4BBD8-85C5-485E-AEB6-555C65F3A23C.jpeg

After leting the bolt and nut sit over night in epoxy and grinding it down so the thru axl bolt runs free.

Test fitet the wheel and it seems to work like a charm, i’m very happy with this work around :)
D4A1DB2D-3690-4DA4-9505-8D600E314FB9.jpeg

It’s time make a new battery for the bike.
The top of the Stromer battery pack are a integrated part of the locking mechanism, so using a old empty Stromer case i will fit a 14s5p pack with 30A daly bms

To be clear i get help spot welding and do the finishing asembly of the battery. I got in thouch with a realy good helpful battery builder a couple of year back, that pasionsly guided me to understand the fundementals in battery and building powerpack’s. So do you live in Norway, Batteryfix in Porsgrunn and Roger is where i got buildt countless batteries

0538D053-1377-4114-BE1C-E964466F7396.jpeg

26159480-B56E-48C3-9A07-05D2607D457F.jpeg

Finaly decided on controller and the new set-up, and placed a order for the new parts at Grin.

E507F6F5-338B-4485-BF5C-E6F46422205E.jpeg34121C1B-270C-4E10-9E39-DDBDF602FBA7.png

Finishing the battery in a old empty Stromer case i had from before.

View attachment 12

A04FA991-471D-483A-8F66-83DBFA48D5D7.jpeg

4B03E20B-2B8A-4712-8347-E7AA275EE55F.jpeg
60C89D0C-6763-431F-9223-20339D2546EA.jpeg

Finaly i got all the parts, and now the rebuilding starts :)

Fiting new wiring and electronics in the bike is a nightmare… :) but getting there

And the baserunner in the upper frame, as i’m using a Cycle analyst as display and using the top of the Stromer display as a lid over the baserunner i try to make it look less like a display not working

BC26E3D7-AA13-43F7-AE19-9AEAB6017AA0.jpeg

29CE3F25-F085-434F-97E6-DDCD7417BD2A.jpeg

328AD6D0-4DA0-4049-ACBE-9B59BC6470B5.jpeg

Evrything looks good, just waiting for a new PAS for the isis crank

Out for a test run, and a bit of tweeking with the setings the bike runs like a dream. Lots of power and fast :) 384B43BE-30E0-4641-B51C-D8776514BB3F.jpeg

9528F331-EAFD-4795-B083-59CE07C8C14E.jpeg

2449688B-9CD3-4636-9EBB-AB9442278DDF.jpeg

Only to tidy up some wiring and it’s ready for spring

Incredible! Those are nice bikes, I would like one for myself :)

Really nice conversion. Where do you find them for sale?

Vbruun said:
Incredible! Those are nice bikes, I would like one for myself :)

Really nice conversion. Where do you find them for sale?

If you are a Stromer owner in Norway, and have a problem with your bike you are in trouble.

Ad there’s no longer a Stromer dealership or partner in Norway you have no where to go. If you contact Stromer ch they just ask you to contact your nearest dealership (in my case is in Denmark and 800km away)

And with the can-bus systems they use it’s not possible to do much without Stromer SW.

If the bike have a problem it’s not a easy bike to sell, and you can pick them up for a steal :)

Sold the battery to a Stromer owner in Denmark, so now i have a high quality bike for a low starting cost thats make a great project

I'm from Denmark and would like one! What sites do you look at?

I don't think your torque solution is adequate. Consider buying one of the chinese torque arms IMO :)

Vbruun said:
I'm from Denmark and would like one! What sites do you look at?

I don't think your torque solution is adequate. Consider buying one of the chinese torque arms IMO :)

Well usually find them on www.finn.no

This is a thru axl motor and no orignal torque arm or anywhere to mount one :(

So i have to try a homemade version :)

Nice job Sinhu I like a project that turns out to be freeish! Should give you good performance also. Seems like the torque solution should work as long as you don't beat on the bike.

And to the Danish guy the price might not be so low there because there are dealers in your country?

Bigwheel said:
Nice job Sinhu I like a project that turns out to be freeish! Should give you good performance also. Seems like the torque solution should work as long as you don't beat on the bike.

And to the Danish guy the price might not be so low there because there are dealers in your country?

Thank you :)

As a starting point for a ebike build you can’t do any better then a Stromer frame, it’s just solid and well buildt with high quality parts.

As the motor are from TDCM i’m looking forward to finaly try it :)

Stromer has as all the major brands gone for Can-bus and elektronic design thats take away any posibility to do any repair or customation without Stromer sw.

But it is / was supriseingly easy to rebuild this bike, lots of room for internal wiring. The battery compartment easily fit a custom 14s5p, the controller left enough room to hide all connectors.

And now it’s time to order the last parts from Grin, Cycle analyst v3 with the MF switch. With the Phasrunner i’m planing on running 40A and about 2000W. The orginal TMM torque sensor works perfect with CA.

So come easter time it will be a brand new Stromer on the road :)

Bigwheel said:

Denmark is close enough that the blues can be shipped pretty easily.
The Prices are around 4000 euro for a bike in DK so might be Worth it

Hi !

A new project pop’t up :)

As i live in Norway where a couple of Stromer dealership’s as come and gone. At the moment it’s posible to pick up these bikes at a very reasonable price if they got a problem.

Stromer, if you contact them ask you to go to the nearest dealership thats in Denmark or Finland :)

So i picked up this Stromer ST1X 2019, used about 2000km with a drive error msg on it.

View attachment 309981

The reason for error msg was one of the cables from the hub motor thats been rubbing against the break disk

View attachment 309982

After testing motor and sensors, replacing conectors the error msg still pop’s up.
So i need a Stromer sw to delete it, worst case new controller :(

So the Stromer ST1x rebuild has started, after looking evrything over i think i will try to make this rebuild looking as close to the original as possible.

Taking out all the parts i can’t use, this is what’s going to be sold as parts.

View attachment 310140

Test fit a Baserunner in the slot after removing the Stromer display, and it fit great :)

Found the real reason of the problems with the bike.

View attachment 310137

Without any torque arm the motor has turned in the frame :(

Not very impresed with the torque handeling of Stromer in this model.

View attachment 310138

Making a atempt of a new torque handeling solution, drilled and treaded a m4 just at the edge, using a m4 z- srew and grinding a slit in the motor shaft to fit.

Not sure if it’s enough 🤔

View attachment 310166View attachment 310167

Had to go up to M5 and mounting a welding nut on the inside. Grinding a slit in the motor axl to fit the welding nut, and i can’t understand otherwise then this should work.

View attachment 310217

Still som grinding to do

View attachment 310218

After leting the bolt and nut sit over night in epoxy and grinding it down so the thru axl bolt runs free.

Test fitet the wheel and it seems to work like a charm, i’m very happy with this work around :)
View attachment 310285

It’s time make a new battery for the bike.
The top of the Stromer battery pack are a integrated part of the locking mechanism, so using a old empty Stromer case i will fit a 14s5p pack with 30A daly bms

To be clear i get help spot welding and do the finishing asembly of the battery. I got in thouch with a realy good helpful battery builder a couple of year back, that pasionsly guided me to understand the fundementals in battery and building powerpack’s. So do you live in Norway, Batteryfix in Porsgrunn and Roger is where i got buildt countless batteries

View attachment 311320

View attachment 311321

Finaly decided on controller and the new set-up, and placed a order for the new parts at Grin.

View attachment 311322View attachment 311323

Finishing the battery in a old empty Stromer case i had from before.

View attachment 12

View attachment 311585

View attachment 311586
View attachment 311587

Finaly i got all the parts, and now the rebuilding starts :)

Fiting new wiring and electronics in the bike is a nightmare… :) but getting there

And the baserunner in the upper frame, as i’m using a Cycle analyst as display and using the top of the Stromer display as a lid over the baserunner i try to make it look less like a display not working

View attachment 312890

View attachment 312891

View attachment 312892

Evrything looks good, just waiting for a new PAS for the isis crank

Out for a test run, and a bit of tweeking with the setings the bike runs like a dream. Lots of power and fast :) View attachment 312998

View attachment 312999

View attachment 313000

Only to tidy up some wiring and it’s ready for spring
Hi , how can I contact you directly, I have some questions about this bicycle, thanks !

Why not just ask your questions here? Then anyone with the answers (if there is someone like that) could help you, instead of you having to wait for someone that hasn't been here since September of last year to come back and see your post. ;)

Why not just ask your questions here? Then anyone with the answers (if there is someone like that) could help you, instead of you having to wait for someone that hasn't been here since September of last year to come back and see your post. ;)
Oh make sense, I just have a same bicycle, not running, and just wanna make sure what to buy , controller , display, and just hooked up and play , or need to to do some wiring, so

Not sure if you're using translation software, but your post isn't very clear.

If you are trying to troubleshoot a problem then please clearly state each part of your problems, and what specifically happened before each one, so we can help you figure out what's wrong. More detail is better.

If you just want to replace everything on the bike with new stuff, then you'll need to state what you want the bike to do for you, under what riding conditions, so we can help you figure out what it will take to do that. A complete list of the specific features you need the items to have, or functions the bike must have, will help.

If you want something else, you'll need to clearly state exactly what that is.

Not sure if you're using translation software, but your post isn't very clear.

If you are trying to troubleshoot a problem then please clearly state each part of your problems, and what specifically happened before each one, so we can help you figure out what's wrong. More detail is better.

If you just want to replace everything on the bike with new stuff, then you'll need to state what you want the bike to do for you, under what riding conditions, so we can help you figure out what it will take to do that. A complete list of the specific features you need the items to have, or functions the bike must have, will help.

If you want something else, you'll need to clearly state exactly what that is.
Ok , the bicycle not running AT ALL, battery good , motor good, just need display and controller replaced, original not available, so I found only this guy on internet who did it , ST1x , I just need to bike running, pedal assist , so if I buy same parts listed here will it make it running and how difficult or easy to plug everything in , thanks !

Ok, if you want to buy the "same" controller, that comes from Grin Tech, Home page, as does the Cycle Analyst, and possibly all the other parts you'd need. Their sales/support may be able to help you work out which parts you'll need to get all of them in one go, for anything they carry; I recommend linking them to this thread so they can see what was used in the OP.

The Phaserunner is a complete external controller you can just mount to the bike wherever. The Baserunner is basically the same thing but designed to fit inside a battery cradle. Both of these are FOC, and will need setup for your specific system and usage, and "tuning" for your specific motor (there's a good autotune function, but it isn't perfect so you may have to manually fine-tune that).

The Cycle Analyst isn't a display (as in, not like what the typical ebike display does), however, it's a computer system that takes all your sensor inputs (throttle, PAS, ebrakes, temperature, etc), processes them via your chosen settings, and creates a throttle output to operate the controller as you command. So there's a fair bit of user-end setup to go thru all menus and make sure all settings are correct for your hardware and application.

So, it's not going to be plug and play; even if you can get wiring that happens to plug ot all your existing connectors (unlikely).

Ok, if you want to buy the "same" controller, that comes from Grin Tech, Home page, as does the Cycle Analyst, and possibly all the other parts you'd need. Their sales/support may be able to help you work out which parts you'll need to get all of them in one go, for anything they carry; I recommend linking them to this thread so they can see what was used in the OP.

The Phaserunner is a complete external controller you can just mount to the bike wherever. The Baserunner is basically the same thing but designed to fit inside a battery cradle. Both of these are FOC, and will need setup for your specific system and usage, and "tuning" for your specific motor (there's a good autotune function, but it isn't perfect so you may have to manually fine-tune that).

The Cycle Analyst isn't a display (as in, not like what the typical ebike display does), however, it's a computer system that takes all your sensor inputs (throttle, PAS, ebrakes, temperature, etc), processes them via your chosen settings, and creates a throttle output to operate the controller as you command. So there's a fair bit of user-end setup to go thru all menus and make sure all settings are correct for your hardware and application.

So, it's not going to be plug and play; even if you can get wiring that happens to plug ot all your existing connectors (unlikely).
Thanks a lot for explanation , so much thinking to do or find someone in person who can help!

Back