Newby needs help choosing 36V controller for Razor ecosmart Metro upgrade using Unite 800W 36V motor

orlbuzz

10 mW
I can see from reading some on this forum, you all can help me with this simple problem.
I'll ask a simple question first and come back if I need more help, which I probably will!
I have this metro scooter with three 15AH SLAs. I have geared it down to 9T X 80T. It still struggles with some of the hills here in E. Tn. I want to keep the 36V, but change to a 800W Unite motor. One sales website that has an old closed forum recommends the controller that I will show. I think I can wire it , some things are simple and obvious like on/off, brake switch, charger, etc. I could probably get the motor to run also. Question 1 : Are there a lot of generic controllers that would work? Question 2 : Will it be possible to wire to the throttle so that I can keep the on/off light and power level functions?

Sorry, I can't figure out the attachments function. I'll post this and then maybe I can edit to get the jpgs.
SPD-361000B-V3.jpg
SPD-361000B-V3.png
Pinout for throttle.jpg
razor-eco-smart-metro-wiring-diagram.jpg

Thanks in advance!
orlbuzz (Gary)

Any brushed controller would work just match it to the motor and battery you have.
If you have a 36v battery you buy a 36v 10a controller for a 400w motor or 36v 15a controller for 550w motor.

Calab,
thanks for the very quick reply, but it's not a brushless motor. :wink: Not going all out on this. Not now anyway. Just want something to go to the mailbox and ride around the neighborhood.
Any suggestions about hooking up the indicator lights in the existing throttle?

Thanks again,
orlbuzz

It was a simple mistake, I corrected it. Well you could just wire up a 3 way switch for the blinkers. Middle is off, left is left blinks, right is right blinks. On/off switch can be hooked up you can buy a voltage, ignition throttle or ignition and throttle, hook up the ignition to ignition wires or on/off wire or whatever english mistakes they label it as.

orlbuzz said:
Calab,
thanks for the very quick reply, but it's not a brushless motor. :wink: Not going all out on this. Not now anyway. Just want something to go to the mailbox and ride around the neighborhood.
Any suggestions about hooking up the indicator lights in the existing throttle?

Thanks again,
orlbuzz

Thanks again Caleb!
Oh, my mistake Caleb, I see now why you thought turn signal when I said indicator lights! :lol: I was referring to the "on" light and the battery charge light.
I just purchased the 800W motor and a controller off E-bay (is name calling allowed?) that looks exactly like the one that was recommended for a lot less money and NO shipping. The shipping was really high on the other sellers website. If their predicted shipping date is anywhere near what they say, they will be here early next week. Also, on this description, they point out that it has connector for battery level. So, I will wire it up per the markings on the connector (will have to do some splicing to use old connectors). If I fry it , I'm not out that much.
Thanks again, I'll let you know how it goes.
orlbuzz

I just noticed this yesterday. On the wiring diagram for the scooter as wired from the factory, there is a small wire from the battery that goes directly to the controller and is not isolated by the on/off switch. I would like to know what the function of that wire is, so I will know what I will be losing with the new controller as it doesn't have that wire. I have read things about preventing overcharging and something about stopping a runaway motor, but I don't know.
Any one know what the function is? I would appreciate even experienced guesses!

Thanks,
orlbuzz

I think I can answer my own question. Without that thin wire running (electrically) back into the controller, the battery would not have a circuit to charge.

I will report that I have a controller that I have hooked up and the throttle runs the motor correctly, and the brake cuts the power to the motor. Yea! Now I have the charging problem. And a battery charge indicator problem. Ain't it fun?

Very happy to report, in case you didn't see it in my other posts, that I found two wiring diagrams for my problems. I have read the rules of the forums and it looks like I can give their name, so I will give kudos to electricscooterparts.com
for the help they have provided me. I have purchased some parts from them and they were shipped quickly, but let's just say we all know it cost more to live in California, if you get my drift. I have talked to them on the phone twice and they have been exceedingly patient and helpful. I am not affiliated with them, just my experience.
I really appreciate all the help I have received on this forum. I signed up for about five, and this one is head and shoulders above the others.

Charger Wiring on Currie Scooter.jpgSPD-361000B-to-THR-61.png

Back