Chipping of Cyclists and Pedestrians in the US

uPET

10 mW
Is this for real? When I first read it, I had to check the date wasn't April 1st:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2021/11/06/bidens-12-trillion-infrastructure-bill-hastens-beacon-wearing-for-bicyclists-and-pedestrians-to-enable-detection-by-connected-cars/

Will this really go ahead?

uPET said:
Is this for real?
Yep.

Not sure how this is different than reflector requirements. In fact, these are optional; reflectors are required. So arguably reflectors are far more onerous and "freedom-removing."

Biker bar stuff again.

If you can’t put brain in drivers, put brain in their cars. This had started for quite a while, and the evolution is pretty fast. Putting a beacon on bicycles, or in granny’s handbag, can keep ‘intelligent’ cars from hitting them, but most idiot drivers are not choosing cars for their brain...

uPET said:
Is this for real? When I first read it, I had to check the date wasn't April 1st:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2021/11/06/bidens-12-trillion-infrastructure-bill-hastens-beacon-wearing-for-bicyclists-and-pedestrians-to-enable-detection-by-connected-cars/

Will this really go ahead?

The study will and the printed moneys will flow to the private benefactors, but I don't know why something like this is even being considered seriously. Automated driving technology that can't deal with non-beaconized real-time object detection, resolve their vectors no matter the size, shape, or conditions, and make appropriate navigation choices is a non-starter. Privacy issues aside, a simple understanding of basic human psychology (common sense) would necessitate passive safety over active safety (requiring a beacon to go out in public) for technology that automates 2 ton low-speed missiles.

That safety transmitters is even being considered as a viable option for this technology, I think, speaks more to the current limits of automated driving technology than the mental retardation of lawmakers. Although I would never discount that self-evident factor either.

Consider the driving-assist experience of this former Tesla owner I read just the other day for context.

Back