Can rubber cement for tube repair freeze then thaw and still be used?

It doesn’t freeze, but the life after the tube is open is very limited. The solvent is very volatile and the cap is not air tight. You can use candle wax (after the cap is on) to make it last longer.

Very interesting rhino, so the point is not to buy a big tube of tire repair cement just buy a bunch of small 10-50ml tubes.

Where do you buy bicycle components from in montreal?

MadRhino said:
It doesn’t freeze, but the life after the tube is open is very limited. The solvent is very volatile and the cap is not air tight. You can use candle wax (after the cap is on) to make it last longer.

I buy it a the local bike shop, like everyone else I guess. :D
I buy the small kit, same price as the glue alone anyway. Not anymore though, for I ride tubeless for a while. I carry a tubeless repair kit, yet never had to use it because the slime and tire insert always let me ride home.

Chain reaction cycle is getting to expensive to ship anything anymore I used to buy new tubes all the time but now I just patch them. For the longest time now, months in fact I could not find where my mini air pump was that I bought last year and I finally found it today cleaning up and organizing my electric toy stuff, it was hiding under a hub motor cover in a grocery bag that I kept moving :lol: that bag also had some patches and rubber cement along with some tools I carry with me when I ride. I was really risking it riding without my usual tool bag and tire kit. I did buy a mini 12v pump for jean lint on ebay 4 years ago that I should try out once I get my 12v lighting battery put together. One bad thing about having mis matched wheels is having to carry a 700 tube and a 26 tube but thankfully I dont get many flats anymore. I once had a 24" tube that worked well in a 26" wheel, but unfortunately you cant do it the other way around use a larger tube in a smaller wheel that happened to me once but I got lucky and tape held air in long enough to pump up every couple miles. Meanwhile yesterday out in the garage I found some rust paint, and wall puddy along with rubber cement thats been in the unheated garage all winter, that is why I posted. With covid and the spread of omnicron I havent been going out much so I try to be useful and clean and organize but I am lazy. Today I wanted to ride behind some used appliance stores to see if I could snip off a cord, you wont believe how expensive they are, the cheap ones are back ordered. Montreal will be cool once covid is done with, amazing how that entire place is crazy when it comes to some things, showing vax passport to enter grocery store is whacked out man.

MadRhino said:
I buy it a the local bike shop, like everyone else I guess. :D
I buy the small kit, same price as the glue alone anyway. Not anymore though, for I ride tubeless for a while. I carry a tubeless repair kit, yet never had to use it because the slime and tire insert always let me ride home.

All big cities are crazy when things go wrong. I feel lucky to have the choice and freedom to live anywhere I want. I usually avoid the city in the winter anyway. Next summer I will be living on a boat.

The slime cement I last purchased has been opened and frozen many times over the last few years and still works (on a wide variety of tube and rubber materials) much better than any of the current bike shop brands I have tried. Dozens of reliable fixes so far on tractors, mowers, motos and bicycles. Cheap also considering you get 10 times more for the $. As soon as it fails to bite in, will chuck what's left in the tube or use it for shoe or cable repair and get another just to have on hand. Most reliable low stink rubber bonder I have used to date.

Back