Video of Pedals that switch to foot pegs

Very cool to make your electric bike have pedals but it should really be electric disconnect so you dont have to stop and manually change it.

Quinc said:
Got these for my Sur-ron but they will work on any bike. Great option if you want to ride through public areas before hitting the trails.
https://youtu.be/6tPVFBzcnSI

pegal.PNG

https://hightailebikes.com/products/pegale
$359 is crazy for a square tapered fit.

calab said:
https://hightailebikes.com/products/pegale
$359 is crazy for a square tapered fit.

Nothing wrong with using the proven choice that will still be supportable in a few years after the new hotness standards have been abandoned in favor of newer hotness. I don't love square taper, but it isn't going anywhere.

Octalink V1 anyone? PowerSpline?

Personally I would rather see something that locks the BB in a position and flips one of the cranks 180 degrees. Something forward to rest my feet on while still legally being equipped with something that could be called a functional pedal system.

However I do not stand on the crank. I can understand the desire to keep the CG more centered to the BB in that case.

Eastwood said:
But these look like they continue to swivel.

I thought that was going to be an issue, but after riding through a field of large rocks and boulders etc It wasn't an issue. Looking more into locking them into place and it wont work because the bike would not be able to roll backward. Unless there is a freewheel sprocket that would allow both forward and backward spinning?

Quinc said:
Unless there is a freewheel sprocket that would allow both forward and backward spinning?

How would you pedal?

Taking the chain off the rear sprocket would be the only viable option without custom building some kind of user-switchable internal clutch into your BB or your rear wheel.

amberwolf said:
Quinc said:
Unless there is a freewheel sprocket that would allow both forward and backward spinning?

How would you pedal?

Taking the chain off the rear sprocket would be the only viable option without custom building some kind of user-switchable internal clutch into your BB or your rear wheel.

I figure stranger things exist! Riding it some more the pegs moving hasn't been an issue at all.

I think its a matter of time now until the little freewheel on the crank lets go from the high speeds.

amberwolf said:
Quinc said:

How would you pedal?

That might be a tad inconvenient for a mid drive :wink:
Do the cranks on a Bafang BBS02 freewheel?

Edit: One direction only I am thinking :(

LewTwo said:
amberwolf said:
Quinc said:

How would you pedal?

That might be a tad inconvenient for a mid drive :wink:
Yes, but it is the only way to do what he wants (be able to lock the pedals and not have them affect the wheel) without redesigning and rebuilding parts of the drivetrain.

For a middrive, it would not be able to be a crank-centric type if the pedals must be able to be locked into position, without redesigning the middrive. It would have to input power into the drivetrain somewhere else, past the pedals. The "simplest" way is a left side drive, totally separate from the pedals; short of that simplest is to have the pedals drive a chain that drives an input sprocket on the motor drivetrain and then the motor drives the wheel via separate chain. A simple freewheel at the pedal chain input to the motor drivetrain would prevent backdriving the cranks and thus allow them to be locked without affecting the motor. If they must be lockable during backwards movement, a clutch must be used instead of a freewheel, that can completely disengage the pedal chain from the rest of the system, or the chain must be removed when the pedals are locked.

Same is true of a left side drive motor system; pedals still need clutch or take off chain.

A hubmotor you just take the chain off (or build a clutch system).
Do the cranks on a Bafang BBS02 freewheel?

Edit: One direction only I am thinking :(
That was why I asked "How would you pedal?" to his suggestion; if it freewheels both ways then there is no way to drive anything from it (or by it).

Quinc said:
My bmx bike can roll forward and backward without the pedals moving. Going to need to take a closer look and see what it is using.

That's called a freecoaster hub. In days of yore they were made by modifying regular coaster brake hubs, but for a long time now they've been manufactured for the purpose. Forward drive input at the sprocket engages the clutch. When there's no forward drive, it disengages and allows the wheel to rotate freely in either direction.

Just saw an autobike for sale for uber cheap, I had to do a google search, but yeah freewheel cranks were a thing of yores past. Did not shimano make one in dinosaurs age? https://bikeretrogrouch.blogspot.com/2016/01/here-we-go-again-freewheeling-cranks.html

calab said:
Just saw an autobike for sale for uber cheap, I had to do a google search, but yeah freewheel cranks were a thing of yores past. Did not shimano make one in dinosaurs age? https://bikeretrogrouch.blogspot.com/2016/01/here-we-go-again-freewheeling-cranks.html

Learn something new everyday! So far the pegals are doing well not locked into place. So going to give up on the idea of redesigning the freewheel. :pancake:

That was my first thought, was there's a reason why fixed moto style pegs flip up when the bike falls on its side, or hit rocks etc..

Back