Privacy - degoogle phone vs iphone vs flip phone

calab

1 MW
I have been looking into having more security and I think I will go with one old iphone 6, any purchased degoogled phone is to much money like from /e/ foundation, but a degoogled android phone might do if I can find a good deal on a pixel 4a or 3xl, oneplus 7, s9 or s5.

Anyone out there into degoogle or privacy and what are you doing
I am using Brave browser and dusting off the old iphone 6.

I started watching this guy
https://www.youtube.com/c/BraxMe/search?query=degoogled
https://www.youtube.com/c/BraxMe/videos

Adam Curry sells the phone to
http://adam.curry.com/art/1589893998_JYaUL3mZ.html

if i want privacy but still might need the phone, i stick my phone in a copper case i made, once you pull it out of the case and use it, "they" are listening and reading.
this is 2022
if youre living in a five eyes country
there is no privacy

True that goatman some people are using old school flip phones.

I have been reading more on mozilla firefox and its not looking good for internet browsing. They get 85% of their income from google, mozilla uses google white list, prewebsite clearence, phising software. That is why I switched over to brave. The more I read into privacy the more I see how evil google really is.

Does the copper case thing really work and how much extra space does it take up and why wouldnt just turning off the phone work just as well other then you cant hear it ring for a call or text.

I listened to some of that braxman guy I linked to, I hope the uprising for privacy comes sooner rather then later. I used to have an old s4 or s6 years ago but it had fallen and cracked the screen for which I tried to fix myself but messed it up. I dont know what to feel about buying a used old phone even if its reset. Some family members go through phones like butter and I know big corporations use iphones for privacy protection so I think that could be the reason apple has never fluffered those feathers........... yet.

goatman said:
if i want privacy but still might need the phone, i stick my phone in a copper case i made, once you pull it out of the case and use it, "they" are listening and reading.
this is 2022
if youre living in a five eyes country
there is no privacy

the copper case thing works but when i tested it, i had to tape the seam with copper foil to keep it from ringing
the signals have been amplified so much, the older cases arent working but the new ones have been improved and work, they just did a big roll out of 5g in the USA last week where there was a big stink raised by the airlines to shut down the towers by the airports

google and apple have terms of service, every app on those networks have to obey. thats why all these new "free speach" platforms are still sensoring speach, they have to obey

i dont know brave, i use dissenter and duck duck go

supposedly they have all these satellites in the sky, cameras on every street corner but they cant solve crimes

too much information being gathered to try and filter out what you are typing/saying unless your "buddy" is an undercover fbi agent trying to set you up for a false flag op :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was using duckduckgo on mozilla firefox, have been for a long time.
Authority solve crimes all the time with online data, its amazing how stupid criminals are, its crazy the shit they post of facebook and social media or better yet the shit they search online which is recorded. I would even place a bet that alexa and siri solved crimes just with the devices always listening. Its been proven the companies were reviewing and researching unbenounced to the consumer.
Crimes are solved by just having the phone on pinging off towers, if you ever watch the show the first 48, it was on cable and its a good show. All the trucker protest people are now under watch, antimaskers too. Forums are being scanned even if the off topic discussion on e.s. needs to have an account logged in I bet its being scanned.

What do we have to hide is a common argument, I just dont want my data being sold but there is probably terabytes of info on me even with my fake named facebook account with the cross references, thank god I never posted any pics.

I know there was a product for sale that would protect your microchipped bank cards from being scanned and copied.
The same hold true for remote car starters, you place your keys in a frequency sealed case, thieves were walking up to the front doors of homes in the middle of the night with big antenna's and your car is gone and on a ship bound for africa in the afternoon.

goatman said:
the copper case thing works but when i tested it, i had to tape the seam with copper foil to keep it from ringing
the signals have been amplified so much, the older cases arent working but the new ones have been improved and work, they just did a big roll out of 5g in the USA last week where there was a big stink raised by the airlines to shut down the towers by the airports

google and apple have terms of service, every app on those networks have to obey. thats why all these new "free speach" platforms are still sensoring speach, they have to obey

i dont know brave, i use dissenter and duck duck go

supposedly they have all these satellites in the sky, cameras on every street corner but they cant solve crimes

too much information being gathered to try and filter out what you are typing/saying unless your "buddy" is an undercover fbi agent trying to set you up for a false flag op :lol: :lol: :lol:

You know, while y'all are at it, you should consider shutting out the voices the government is transmitting into your heads by wearing close-fitting caps made from aluminum foil.

Privacy is to be found in unremarkableness anymore. Hiding doesn't work. Just trying to do it makes you conspicuous.

Y'all are probably grossly overestimating how much anybody cares what you do or think.

Google, facebook and the government care but you are right I have nothing to hide but I can do simple steps like use a separate browser, vpn and not bother using facebook, gmail, google but its hard to stay out of their ecostream and google is a monopoly and should be divided but its a great tool for the government. The apps on the cell phone drain the battery, and they track you to sell the info. I prefer not to pay for services I do not want and apps I dont use draining my battery and lessening its life is something I do not want, just like I do not want telemarketers calling my pay as you go phone eating up my minutes and ripping me off.

I have it so the cell phone needs to ask me when location services is on, even the major banks app wants access to my gps and phone numbers, very strange so I have to ask myself for non reputable companies with apps what the frock are they doing.

Even vehicles today are tracking you and they have black boxes.

A few other changes I have made

- I personally do not use smart speakers (alexa, siri) that listen and report back to hq, but we have one in the living room/kitchen.

- not carrying my cell phone in my chest pocket so close to heart, have to put it in my jeans pocket 4 inches from my groin

- not using blue tooth headphones that transmit and receive signals next to the skull and brain. I might look into a corded head phone either over-ear or on-ear, I cant remember which one is more comfortable for long hours of listening to podcasts and audible books.

- bought a blue tooth wireless speaker that I listen to in the morning after I wake up and at night to stay away from screens, it seems to work well.

- buying chemical free bath soap and trying to find the same in a shampoo, for christmas someone bought me the chemical free soap and last time I was at the big mall I asked a few soap stores and they had nothing. Online there was a shampoo bar I might give it a go.

- we are using vinegar cleaning solutions

- switched the desktop pc to dark mode to help with sleep cycle and cutting out blue color. Caffeine only in the morning before noon, no more then 30-40mg.

Thankfully its not yet full surveillance cameras everywhere like china and the uk, close to me a big mall was caught using facial recognition which was a breach of privacy code but whos to say grocery stores arent hiding the same. Can be a scary world out there but really what do we have to hide, our lives should be an open book and the info sold to the highest bidder. Info is the new gold, sell that blood pressure monitor or birth control pill to your daughter that you dont know about.

We often forget that:

"Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

And knowledge is power... so if the police state knows everything it begins to behave as an independent beast doing what it wants while totally disregarding "The People".

That is the definition of Tyranny.

For over one hundred years we have been going backwards in regards to freedom.

SafeDiscDancing said:
I think women, black people, gay people, trans people, Muslims and Wiccans would disagree, at least here in the US.

I mean, sure, rich white men don't have the world revolve around them any more. But most Americans have a lot more freedoms today than they did in 1920. I mean, women couldn't even VOTE before 1920.

JackFlorey said:
I mean, women couldn't even VOTE before 1920.

Originally it was:

"One property, One vote."

So only those who "owned" voted.

...this meant each vote represented the will of an entire family.

Grandpa, Grandma, Sons, Daughters, Father and Mother got ONE vote.

JackFlorey said:
SafeDiscDancing said:
I think women, black people, gay people, trans people, Muslims and Wiccans would disagree, at least here in the US.

Mexican Americans
Chinese Americans
American Indians
Mixed race couples
Industrial and mine workers
Schoolchildren
Tenant farmers
etc., etc., etc.

I mean, sure, rich white men don't have the world revolve around them any more. But most Americans have a lot more freedoms today than they did in 1920.

It makes me wonder whether the good old days he hankers for are the times of coal smoke/horse excrement/16 hour workdays, or rather the times of singing darkies on the plantation. Such freedom did those people enjoy to ride their bikes like idiot children all day long!

SafeDiscDancing said:
Originally it was:

"One property, One vote."

So only those who "owned" voted.

...this meant each vote represented the will of an entire family.

Unless they didn't own property.

Do you think that was a good thing?

calab said:
... not bother using facebook, gmail, google...
You personally may not be using gmail but know that any correspondences you have with gmail addresses are scraped for data.

SafeDiscDancing said:
Yep. Things have improved a bit. We still have a ways to go, of course - but we are headed in the right direction.

Usually.

These days it's not to be expected that anything done on line be kept private.

Those days are long gone. Just accept it and behave accordingly. No going back now.

Personally, I could care less. It's stupid to 'share' anything remotely important anyway. I don't feel the need need to be invisible. In fact, I'm still listed in the phone book. :shock:

Gosh you are an old dinosaur in those ancient tablets :lol: its the wave of the future to cut the telephone cord and cut the tv cable, but just can't live without the internet line. I had some scammer call me 6-8 times in one day on my cell phone, I made the mistake of picking it up without looking at caller id or seeing a local number but they can spoof caller id easily. That seems to happen every now and then I doubt the telecoms will change anything anytime soon.

nicobie said:
These days it's not to be expected that anything done on line be kept private.

Those days are long gone. Just accept it and behave accordingly. No going back now.

Personally, I could care less. It's stupid to 'share' anything remotely important anyway. I don't feel the need need to be invisible. In fact, I'm still listed in the phone book. :shock:

Chalo said:
You know, while y'all are at it, you should consider shutting out the voices the government is transmitting into your heads by wearing close-fitting caps made from aluminum foil.

Privacy is to be found in unremarkableness anymore. Hiding doesn't work. Just trying to do it makes you conspicuous.

Y'all are probably grossly overestimating how much anybody cares what you do or think.

Quoted for truth, but I will let you know Chalo I am very offended because I need that aluminum cap to stop my molars from broadcasting the CIAs cafeteria lunch schedule into my brain!

But seriously, thinking a "degoogled" iPhone is the ticket to privacy? It's still a corporation, They still have Chinese subsidiaries and still are under 5/9/14 eyes. It's not open-source, and still runs google API services in the background. You need to focus on blending in and being anonymous, having a low "Digital Fingerprint" (Look that up!) if you're wanting privacy again. That means no more discussing where you live, removing slang, using TOR, and getting rid of a lot of convivences your smartphone gives you.

There will soon be a linux phone and I hope to experiment with it. Firefox is -fine-, but you need to research what plugins and things to use to erase that fingerprint.

I own several now older Android tablets.

What I find is the Google police state services barely run on an older tablet.

How I keep the old tablets quick and usable is I shut down most all of the Google services EXCEPT the location service.

Seems like Google is "okay" as long as they know where your tablet is located.

With all the Google services but location shut down you can run an older 800mb RAM system okay.

Right now I'm on an Android tablet where I entirely removed Google and it's great. Quick boot up and everything runs fast despite limited RAM.

Google is a big fat pig and intrusive as hell.

CONSIDERABLE SHOUTING said:
I am very offended because I need that aluminum cap to stop my molars from broadcasting the CIAs cafeteria lunch schedule into my brain!

Hear you. But I'm finding foil caps are pretty uncomfortable ... they can get darn hot here in Florida. So I'm thinking of making a nice Faraday cap out of metal hardware cloth, especially for summer wear. Is there any reason to go whole hog and splurge on copper hardware cloth, or does plain old chicken wire do the trick?

footloose said:
I am very offended because I need that aluminum cap to stop my molars from broadcasting the CIAs cafeteria lunch schedule into my brain!

Hear you. But I'm finding foil caps are pretty uncomfortable ... they can get darn hot here in Florida. So I'm thinking of making a nice Faraday cap out of metal hardware cloth, especially for summer wear. Is there any reason to go whole hog and splurge on copper hardware cloth, or does plain old chicken wire do the trick?

Plain old chicken wire is fine, you don't even need any fancy battery cables- a car battery and some jumper cables to shield the noggin will do just fine. Ionize the air around you to clean it, too!

The smartest thing is just don't carry a phone outside.

Do you really need it?

If the phone stays home and you go out they cannot track you... pretty simple.

Why would you need to carry a phone outside?

Isn't email and voice mail satisfactory to give a link after the fact?

The point is you are being GROOMED as victims with the technology but with wisdom you can simply evade it.

couple years ago when i came back to the Big City i went into a 7/11 and asked if i could use their Yellow Pages.
The kid didnt know what that was

then i asked, how about a phone book?
Nope

Pay phones, nowhere to be found

did you know if you cross the Can/USA border they've already read your phone before you get to the check point and know if you have a valid vaccine passport or not

There will soon be a linux phone and I hope to experiment with it.
"The Librem 5 is a phone built on PureOS, a fully free, ethical and open-source operating system that is not based on Android or iOS."

"By purchasing a Librem 5 phone you are supporting a future of digital privacy, invested in supporting an open, community-driven environment. Vote with your wallet to support a future safe from digital exploitation and create a secure and respectful environment for you, your children and society as a whole.

Peace of mind with a phone that does not track you"

"The Librem 5 will not wholesale gather your data for profit. It will not lock you into an ecosystem that controls you. It will not require you to enter banking details to simply get an app from an app store."

https://puri.sm/products/librem-5/

Available now (backlogged?)

goatman said:
did you know if you cross the Can/USA border they've already read your phone before you get to the check point and know if you have a valid vaccine passport or not
In which direction?

Back