FLIPSKY new 20s 100A tiny controller (vesc based)

jaykup said:
kaning said:
Am i wrong to assume this controller does not allow for PAS?

PAS was added to the VESC firmware a year ago by @marcos (Axiom guy) on this forum who works with Luna Cycle on their Luna Ludicrous V2, a VESC based controller for the BBSHD.

I haven't tested it yet, but here is the info:

This commit enables cadence-based pedal assist for ebikes using
quadrature-style pedal speed sensors.
:

5.3 also has Constant Torque pedal assist, added by someone on this thread :wink:

I just noticed,
The controller is no longer available on their website, I wonder why.

kaning said:
I just noticed,

Strange indeed.
If I search on AliExpress for "VESC 75100" it does show up in their AE-store. And in many other stores for cheaper prices.

SlowCo said:
kaning said:
I just noticed,

Strange indeed.
If I search on AliExpress for "VESC 75100" it does show up in their AE-store. And in many other stores for cheaper prices.

I saw offers on Banggood and Aliexpress but I'm afraid they don't have the same quality or not have genuine chips.
Is that a concern or I shouldn't worry? for the same price i rather get it from flipsky store.

kaning said:
I saw offers on Banggood and Aliexpress but I'm afraid they don't have the same quality or not have genuine chips.
Is that a concern or I shouldn't worry? for the same price i rather get it from flipsky store.

Contact Flipsky and ask?

afzal said:
5.3 also has Constant Torque pedal assist, added by someone on this thread :wink:

Thank you for adding that feature :)

kaning said:

I bought mine off a random seller on Aliexpress for about $80 shipped. The chips appear to be the same as a few other people who posted detailed pictures. I'm fairly certain they are all the same, probably even made in one large batch.

It is strange that Flipsky pulled it from their website...

john61ct said:
Is this only good for brushless motors?
VESC firmware supports brushed motor also, though I have never tested it, quoting Trampa
Modes: DC, BLDC & FOC (sinusoidal)
Flipsky mentions only FOC (sinusoidal), but suspecting that the VESC firmware shipped with the unit support all the above modes.

SlowCo said:
kaning said:

Contact Flipsky and ask?

I did, they said they will launch their new improved version after CNY holidays. With regards to firmware.
Not sure i can share their email response, if there is no issue I'll do that.

kaning said:
I did, they said they will launch their new improved version after CNY holidays. With regards to firmware.

I don't think a email screenshot needs to be posted, but I think most of us are interested in your summary of what they said regarding firmware.

Would anyone know if this is better in terms of power and specs compared to this squarewave controller (yuyangking)?

YKZ Brushless DC Motor Controller - YKZ7250
1 Model YKZ7250
2 Available Battery Voltage 48V - 72V
3 Available Motor Power 500-1500W
4 Phase Peak Current 150A
5 DC Current 50A
6 Working Communication Hall Sensor

jaykup said:
kaning said:

I don't think a email screenshot needs to be posted, but I think most of us are interested in your summary of what they said regarding firmware.

I've also taken the time to speak to them, and have a controller on the way.

In summary, Hanlon's razor applies and they are doing their best to amend things. I'm also not going to share the email.

Hanlon's razor applies and they are doing their best to amend things
Well that's quite good to hear if true.

Also surprised to hear they're making a revision so quickly... I just got a couple of these controllers in over the weekend.

Onto the actual topic:
I tested them on my electric inflatable boat. Flashed with jaykup's firmware and setup nice and easy through my laptop while hooked up to the brushless outboard for FOC. Hooked it up to a 20s 60ah battery pack and went for a joy ride. Great little controller, but simply gets thermal throttled too quick for that use case. Will let me get up on plane, and stay there for about a min before we start thermal throttling.

So I decided instead to throw these controllers on my bikes, because they are so damn compact and pack a nice punch. I repurposed the 24 fet 4110 controller on my bike for this boat project.

The boat had the same top speed for both controllers, the throttle response for the flipsky 75100 was much much nicer though (using CURRENT setting with an adc throttle). The difference is this 24 fet controller can go full throttle until the battery dies, unlike the flipsky.

Here is a video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/aJ6miGJzC8dkdGqh6

mxlemming said:
In summary, Hanlon's razor applies and they are doing their best to amend things.

This is fantastic. Seriously.

The only problem is that it's not "difficult" or "time consuming". They can just post a couple text files from their computer for free and it's done, they have abided by the license terms.

This isn't something that needs a whole team to engineer a fix for.

It literally is free and takes a couple minutes.

It is good they're going to work that into their schedule, though legally they should wait to ship any more units until they complete that.

b264 said:
mxlemming said:
In summary, Hanlon's razor applies and they are doing their best to amend things.

The only problem is that it's not "difficult" or "time consuming". They can just post a couple text files from their computer for free and it's done, they have abided by the license terms.

It is good they're going to work that into their schedule, though legally they should wait to ship any more units until they complete that.

Things are rarely as simple as they seem to be. For instance, engineers might be 100% willing to do that, but some obscure marketing guy 'higher up' had some made-up reasons to say no.
'Flipsky' is not a shop run by a couple of engineers, but pretty large business and chinese basically *invented* bureaucracy. :)

BalorNG said:
b264 said:
mxlemming said:

Things are rarely as simple as they seem to be. For instance, engineers might be 100% willing to do that, but some obscure marketing guy 'higher up' had some made-up reasons to say no.
'Flipsky' is not a shop run by a couple of engineers, but pretty large business and chinese basically *invented* bureaucracy. :)

It's literally the law and the engineers should be doing this anyway as part of their work. You don't need to ask permission to follow the law at work. You just do it as part of the coding you're doing. It's as much a part of the process as compiling is.

If you were a truck driver, you don't need to ask your boss for permission to stay under the speed limit.

b264 said:
BalorNG said:
b264 said:
mxlemming said:

It's literally the law and the engineers should be doing this anyway as part of their work. You don't need to ask permission to follow the law at work. You just do it as part of the coding you're doing. It's as much a part of the process as compiling is.

If you were a truck driver, you don't need to ask your boss for permission to stay under the speed limit.

I'm yet to find a jurisdiction where multi kW electric skateboards are allowed on public roads or pavements, but no one seems to give a shit about that around here... Not least Benjamin and Frank who seem to make money selling these devices that are clearly not legally used.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=28&v=8qcKsdWvNV0&feature=emb_logo

Adherence to safety standards are another thing you "just do as part of your job"... Do any electric skateboard manufacturers even attempt to comply?

I mean frock... Ben and Frank's marketing literature, for illegal/illegally used products is full of activity that's not only illegal but poses immediate danger to the general public. But their GPL is being violated by releasing a compiled binary?

Cry me a river.

I bought two of these , one for my ebike and another for a solar pump one can make the vesc work as an autonomous solar pump controller for pumps that have either a brushed dc motor or a 3 phase PM motor , and are fed directly from solar panels with no battery.

I have an older flipsky 4.2 mini operating a dc brushed pump. 300 w 24v rated motor. The motor is a nema frame servo reducer that does 90 rpm @24v

For mppt tracking behavior the battery cutoff power reduction settings are used

This preserves line voltage from the array by changing the motor load over the narrow voltage range a little either side of the panel Max power voltage .

Motor turn on is achieved with safe start set to off and i blew up the adc port by hitting it with 5 volts and now have set the full throttle voltage to a value that is below the high noise floor of the broken adc port this tells the controller to run the motor at full speed, the battery cutoff curve and thermal rollbacks dictate the actural speed based on temperature and panel voltage. The broken adc port based control system is not the greatest idea and not one i want to replicate with the future build using the 75-100
There is a large 10,000uf capacitor on the solar feed line of 50 meters and the voltage above which full speed is allowed is 36v some what higher than the panel pmax to get best efficiency from the cable.

There are some problems with this one i would like to overcome in future builds , they are:

Early morning grumpies, the controller goes into a low battery fault loop until the current available is sufficient to fully power the standby electronics

How to achieve this better with the newer 75-100 ?

Using Benjamin vedder's example custom app that uses a pot on adc and a switch on adc2 to control speed and stop start. this allows operation by float switch

I have a second hand unused Lorentz CS600 pump its bldc permanent magnet inrunner the pump max power is 580w open flow @16m3 hr pmax is 13m
panels will be 1000w 63ocv 48vmpp .

If anyone has some bright ideas about overcoming the morning faulting and other ways of better mppt tracking that also factor how it changes with panel temperature or ways to goal seek in a custom program to get the best energy from the panels would be welcome .

This controller or another vesc type could be used for all sorts of pumps and is a lot cheaper than most purpose built solar pump controllers but some additional simple programing makes it more versatile and some auxillary circuitree may be needed to sense panel voltage and wait until there is sufficient power there before turning on the supply to the controller this way it can boot properly just once a day and run the motor at varying speed according to how much cloud cover there is and the motor and controller temperature

In my opinion the best way to achieve that is to sense the voltage and drive a relay that opens a contactor. There are many schemes available for the relay+contactor, it's called precharge circuit.

For the voltage sense you can buy an arduino module, it's easy to program though.

mxlemming said:
b264 said:
BalorNG said:
b264 said:

I'm yet to find a jurisdiction where multi kW electric skateboards are allowed on public roads or pavements, but no one seems to give a shit about that around here... Not least Benjamin and Frank who seem to make money selling these devices that are clearly not legally used.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=28&v=8qcKsdWvNV0&feature=emb_logo

Adherence to safety standards are another thing you "just do as part of your job"... Do any electric skateboard manufacturers even attempt to comply?

I mean frock... Ben and Frank's marketing literature, for illegal/illegally used products is full of activity that's not only illegal but poses immediate danger to the general public. But their GPL is being violated by releasing a compiled binary?

Cry me a river.

mxlemming, you're extremely ungrateful and hate-filled.

The only reason you even have any of this shit is because of the very thing you are crapping upon. And you seem to be intent on shitting upon further progress for some reason only known to you.

The GPL license as designed does wonderful things.

You should really be ashamed of yourself. Would you also burn down a charity after they gave you some food?

b264 said:
mxlemming, you're extremely ungrateful and hate-filled.

Hey, I'm all for free software and all, and I have great respect for what VESC and Co are doing, but boy you are one sanctimonious prick.

mechhead said:
I bought two of these , one for my ebike and another for a solar pump...

You would likely get more input creating your own thread on your solar pump.

Back