Did anyone copy and save the mid drive section of the wiki?

tomjasz

1 GW
Did anyone copy and save the mid drive section of the wiki?

I'm looking for the listed brands of grease used by Bafang published there.

Don't know if you are looking for this info... I made a search with mobilgrease 28 Specs and these are greases equivalent:

Specs: MIL-PRF-81322 -- CDSEA395/B NATO -- G-395

Shell Aviation grease AeroShell Grease 22.
Royal Lubricants grease Royco 22CF (also 28CF).
Castrol grease Braycote 622.
British Petroleum - Exxon grease Unitemp 500.
Mobil grease Mobilgrease 28
Nyco GN 22

For Bafang someone uses Mobil SHC 100 but this one has a soap base instead of a clay like all the others, so they can't be mixed and old grease must be removed.

I'm no expert but isn't SHC100 Lithium-based and Mobile28 clay-based?

The wiki had a list of the lubrication products Bafang used.

Mobilith SHC 100:
Synthetic base oils (Proprietary), Lithium Complex thickener (proprietary), Anti-wear, Extreme Pressure

Applications: Electric motors, high bearing speeds, commercial aviation wheel bearings, automotive/industrial multi-purpose

150C Max operating temp.

Mobil 28:
PAO Synthetic base oil, Organo-Clay thickener, Anti-wear, High-Temp

Applications: Milspec, Aviation, high bearing speeds, multi-purpose

177C Max operating temp.

Between the two, Mobilith SHC is about 20 years newer, and designed for more widespread applications and available in more formulations. SHC 100 in particular was designed with electric motors and high-speed bearings in mind, alongside typical multi-purposes in Automotive, Industrial etc.

Mobil 28 is more expensive, has a slightly higher temperature range, it's a mainstay Milspec product for aviation applications typically.

Between the two, SHC 100 may be more widely available. In terms of service performance, they both fare very well in intended applications... Neither of them are specifically designed for gearbox duty, but they both perform well in our ebike electric motor gearboxes (high speed, low-load staged or planetary reductions). Both tend to be compatible with plastic gears, plastic parts etc.

Service life and interval wise: these are both top shelf products and will last 10,000 km+ in geared motors from Bafang etc. Inspection of the grease annually is best-practice, top-up if necessary. In terms of grease degradation from shear-loads in the gearing, they will both wear out eventually, if you find especially soiled/metalized pockets of grease, scoop em out and replace with fresh stuff.

Don't mix these products as they are incompatible, to switch over you'd need to completely remove the previous product.

I've been using SHC 100 for almost five years in Ebikes, and previously used the SHC line in very expensive industrial equipment for years, it's good stuff.

Compared to stock grease in the Bafang Ultra (not Mobil 28, btw), the SHC 100 runs quieter, protects the bearings better, and is very resistant to corrosion. Before grease replacement I had one outer bearing rust up on me in winter, and had enough motor noise by 2500km it was time for me to replace whatever crap was in there. 7000km since then after switching to SHC 100, I've had no issues, still quiet and smooth-running, with outer bearings in good shape.

Also using SHC 100 in Cyclone 6:1 planetary reductions, excellent longevity there, good noise level, etc. Some of those have been through two winters now and still look good.

Back