2 Speed Xiongda hubmotor

I place my bet on the H700 gears: they're for the human powered drive. Because of the consistent emphasis on how the motor shifts gears to suit cadence, and because of the single external gear cog provided. (Assume that's what "look at how it looks" refers to.) I see the "bicycle news" reports that talk about how the gearing is going to make the motor work better, so there's clearly some confusion on one side or the other.

Voltron said:
Typical cover plate design for geared motors...
DSCN5178.JPG

Can anyone confirm this resembles the housing of the Xiongda? As in that case I'm doing it all wrong.

From he Bafang newsletter (see attached screenshot): Their 2 speed motor has 2 gears for pedaling cadence and not for the motor itself.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220307-160657.png
    Screenshot_20220307-160657.png
    335 KB · Views: 467
max3d said:
Thanks knutselmaster, I might get in touch with you.

@menvert: I have another Xiongda, but I have never managed to open it. I built a sort of clumsy custom tool for it, but still didn't manage. Any tips?

xionga_tool.jpg

Bonnie at Xiongda sent me a free tool to open the motor. It is a simple C spanner with two screw holes which you bolt to the hub in a similar way to your tool. It came with 2 screws of the correct length. I simple connect it fairly tightly then tap it with a hammer. I have never had any problem opening any of the 3 motors I have . It undoes in the normal anti clockwise direction. Incidently had no problem requesting spares and receiving either a month or so ago with communication so don't know if there was a blip. Notice they are advertising their wares at https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=116834&p=1723021&hilit=xiongda#p1723021 so presume they are still in business.

I think that Bonnie might be gone and Tina is now a customer service rep.
I installed a two speed Xiongda on my son's tricycle and it still works fine.
I recommend it.
Xiongda on Gekko. (2).JPG

It's possible, but desn't make any sense at all. These motors have the advantage that they're small, lightweight and can produce a lot of torque with relatively low power by allowing the bike to run more slowly than a normal motor. Two Q128s would be the same weight, but would blitz a pair of Xiongdas in a climbing contest. A single Mac would be lighter and a lot simpler.

if you want to run with two Xiongdas, you'll need to install two LCDs and have two control panels, which will make changing power very awkward.
Redundancy provides an increased confidence in solitary isolated travel.
Motor and controller heat generation is reduced.
Two small motors are much more inconspicuous than one large motor.

Attachments

• IMG_0555.JPG
    IMG_0555.JPG
    720.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Back