Welcome to Members' Hobbies and Interests

neptronix

Administrator
Staff member
Hey all.. this section was previously named the beer section.. the health/food section.. and still has yet to find much uptake on the forum.

So how about about we broaden the topic a bit, and talk about other stuff that spherites are interested in in the biker bar.
Tell us about:
Your gardening
Your other electronics projects
Your business
Your health hacks

..etc!

Controversial or difficult topics.. current events, etc belong in OT still ^_^.. if your hobby or interest fits that category, just post it in OT! :thumb:

Basic wood working, and I have a 3D-printer in the box (it was a gift). I will learn basic CAD and start using the 3D-printer when I retire, so I have the time to use the skills I'm trying to learn. I never went to college but I enjoy mechanical design...

This would be a great place for a 3d printing thread. We also have some things across the forum that can get scooped into here. I don't think anyone's feathers will get ruffled if some threads get moved here.

I don't think so either.

I'd start, but after once attempting to jump through the hoops needed to move posts with this crap forum software (that I refuse to spend one more minute learning) I think I'll wait until we get the "new improved" version before screwing around moving other people's stuff.

👼

P.S. I can help with woodworking posts as I've pretty much made a living doing that and tool making for the last bunch of years.

Just bought 5 clarinets and one guitar to rebuild. The first thing I have noticed about buying an 80 year old clarinet is that the second purchase needs to be a ozone generator to kill all the mold in the case and probably the horn. :evil: So much for the profit margin... :roll: And that is not to mention steam cleaner and the x55 solvent to clean the case. :confused:

Oh well, time to pick up one of my guitars and play something...

:D :bolt:

nicobie said:
I'd start, but after once attempting to jump through the hoops needed to move posts with this crap forum software (that I refuse to spend one more minute learning) I think I'll wait until we get the "new improved" version before screwing around moving other people's stuff.

👼

I don't blame you at all. Can't wait to give you guys a preview of the new functionality.

nicobie said:
P.S. I can help with woodworking posts as I've pretty much made a living doing that and tool making for the last bunch of years.

Sold!! :mrgreen:

Lately, I've enjoyed Model S Plaid road trips as a hobby.

I also love microscopy as a hobby, and feel so blessed to have a flagship Keyence microscope to use.

I love physics and chemistry and lasers (Raman and high CW), and we have an RnD facility and EV battery recycling lab beyond my wildest dreams to run tests every day (and often into night).

The Universe has blessed me with an amazing wife and team of fellow scientists who are just as zealoted towards the cause of survivable air and water for our spaceship.

The EV hobby of mine, in me, is dying. I don't know if you all will see me in a year or two. Its been nice knowing you.

I am poor as a dog and a college dropout. No job, even though I am on the books for three companies. I dont have any family aside from a cat. Probably never will. Lost one, last year about this time, hit me hard, that KitKat did. Have not driven for about 8 years cause THC and current laws surrounding DUI. I sold a ton of marijuana in my life and was busted one time to many. Felon for sure. Got points. One more and I go away for years. PA State Troopers knew what they were doing. I have seen over a million dollars cash seized from my friends and family. Amazing to believe the Army and the Air force once wanted me. Got very close to becoming a recruit once. Once.

I used to make alot of money, pure labor. Hardworking mother fucker right here. Wanted to build houses once upon a time. Hell, skyscrapers. Some houses take three weeks to go up, hindered only by the inspectors schedules. Some take two year or more. I have done more than you would imagine, from industrial drilling to cleaning the floors in the bank. I have seen them built, Ihave seen them burn, I have fireproofed them myself. Both the sprinklers and the spray. Tons. Building residential, commercial, everything. From the benchmark to the roof. That sewer? I built that, and the pump station right next to it. Cutting trees? By the ton. No drop ceiling has ever made me quiver, no matter how small the tiles. That development? Yup, me and a bunch of other pleebs. The deck? yup. Those roofs? I was there. The crane over there? i wirebrushed the splatter off it before it was painted. The plaster on the 50 million dollar schools library? Stayed extra long for that one. Timberframing? Sure. I'll make 100 stressedskin panels appear in an instant. Wanna cast some concrete tables? Gimmie the day and I'll give you the most intricate pattern you ever saw for your cope and drag. Now I dont have much work,. I try to flip things associated with my hobbies to keep afloat.

Spent 10,000 hours ( maybe 20K?) plus on/in scissorlifts, excavators, boom lifts, or loading up the cranes for the operators. Forks and Telehandlers. OMG, I will drive right through a tractor giving me trouble on site if he is in my way. Have sub contracted for the largest commercial roofing company in the US (centi-mark). Been behind the scenes, in every kind of factory, with keycards and permits, and background checks, with the transformers humming as i play in the trusses with my zipties. As a laborer for one of the places I work depending on the demand. Thousands of hours, playing in factories. If there are not any temps available that day. The temps are cheaper. I also have a waste water management license, got that for fun. Just cause school is cool if you can afford it, and that course was free, at the time, for a friend at the PA DEP was trying to get it (the state funded courses) going, and called me. Asked if I wanted some free school. Sure.

That was the stuff I loved until about 35.

I can flip all day but my problem is getting high on my own suppY ( keeping anything worth a dime for myself). I got a bank account specifically for the flip capital. I got a garage, ahlf filled... that is open for my friends cars, trucks, ect. I have done a hundred hands on engine replacements, countless 4x4 clutches, a few timing belts, and the rest is far to many to count. Will rip down any engine without hesitation and 100% confidence. Still, not as well equipped as the dumbass tech right out of highschool Vo-Tec that is charging you 2000$ for the repairs on your Ford or Gm, and 600$ to do the brakes. I even worked in an industrial antique shop once. Sent 150,000$ worth of modernized tables to a hotel in New York City for a fancy designer. I built them in a basement of a mill. Never was anything but poor as dirt. I will happily slave all day for 8$ an hour if I had the chance. Today. Hell, I'll take four, I'm so hungry most of the time. Lol. Guilty. I love to work.

...paid off a 154,000$ suit once, for the insurance company did not cover me. Me and my business partner,. That was a mess. Lol. 7000$ tow, not including the wrecked machinery itself. He took the truck out and wrecked it, they sued us both. It was my truck. That took about ten years to recover from and settle. Settled, defaulted, they sued again. Lost whole buildings.Just about lost my house.

Hobbies? I dont know. Somewhere around 35 I got into hobbies, I had earned my home by then, and earned some free time from my 60 hour workweek in the ratrace. I didnt have any hobbies before then.

Hobbies? Trying to kill myself on Rocketbikes, had a few of those. Wrecked two bikes. Spent a few days in hospitals. Rebuilt a few of those. Broke em again. Fixxed them.

Engines. I understand engines like no one else on this world, I have been told. It comes naturally to me. Dont mind breaking them. Building fuel controllers from online plans. Learning about electronics. Met the men who programmed every GM car in the 80's in person. Got to talk with them. Racecars. Tricking things out. Planning. Buying parts. Rebuilding old cars. Figuring out what is wrong with them. That kind of experience. I can tell you what is happening, usually with a very good explanation to go along with it: Even if you are dumb as a rock ( when it comes to "those things") you will understand. I know everything about a modern vehicle very, very well, and the history that went along with it. I have worked on Model T even before. Got a friend with a Baker. I wanna put a Chevy pack in it. Lol. I can tell a Ford vs a Chevy vs a Dodge transmission, vs an Allison only looking at its guts... ( ok maybe that is a little embellishment). I love engines and would jump on any classic engine I can get my hands on, pretty much. Just cause.

Digging. I love to dig.

I got a vintage go-kart to restore. A Rupp Dart Kart.

CNC machining. Mastering that endless chase is next for me. Probably never happen.. but I am gonna try. Hell right now Im building my first machine from scratch with junkyard parts hot out the pile. Someone gave me one, once. A small one. Dont have the money to buy one. Got a tiny laser, cannot afford a real one. I would kill (dead) for a fiber laser. Make Christmas ornaments and things. Lol. Oh yeah, my dad is a globally renowned engineer and has an engineering consultation business, so I get, what I can, off him, hopefully, before he is gone. He really is a genuine genius. Like twenty decimal places, in the calculator, in his head. Has done some high end stuff in his day. We speak a language, we understand well, to each other. So I will inherit his machine shop, and business. I am very familiar with the machines. They are far away, so I dont get to use them. I got a few small machining tools in the shop.... the stuff I try to do is trivial in comparison to his life's work. We (BSECo) are currently building the largest Victorian age walking beam steam engine in the United states. Well funded, built from the old plans with modern machines. Should be finished in a couple more years. We have built a few museum pieces, helped with the donation of old equipment, a few boats, and right now he is building a paddle wheel electric canoe ( that we built years ago out of mahogany ply @ 87$ a sheet)... I hump a four foot long piece of metal to the lathe, for my contribution to those projects. Mostly. Or weld some shit: labor. Clean the valves. Blow out the boilers. Stuff like that. I have seen a hundred or more Union run boilers in my day. More. The kind of boilers my dad spent his life designing.

Cars, bikes, trucks. paint. Shiny things. I got into BC/CC and hydrographics. Only cause I usually wreck whatever I drive. Am the one with a sandblaster in the back yard. I fix old lawn mowers. Now, everyone has approached me, about fixing the golf cart or the scissor lift: Lol. Noone really wants to spend money though. I plate. I machine. I keep the cleaning company's tools working. I weld ( if I can afford the gas). I make art. I fix the lawnmowers again. I build, I design off the top of my head. I am beginning to build an electrical troubleshooting logic in my head, that scares me with how advanced it has become. In the last few years. I *thought* i knew electricity well, back then. Nope. ES has had alot to do with this. Still, I dont always have *the* answer, and that usually tears me up inside till my brain hurts. Being uneducated.

Computers. I got a few bad ass computers. Lol. I saw DOS when I was a kid, in the late '80s...watched it all unfold. I play video games. Mostly with these computers. Still, have better computers than 90% of my friends and my computers will certainly always be there. I sell alot of that stuff to.

Made 3000$ on eBay so far this year, off about 1000$ capital... but it was all eaten, by the cost of life, and UPS, and eBay itself. Got a few accounts with 100% feedback. Got 3000$ worth of items listed right now.

Listening to the wisdoms of Peter Tosh, and the voice of Jerry Garcia, and everything in between. Ive been kicked from raves by fire marshals, seen the garage doors thumping, seen bullets on the streets, I have seen the tattoos in jail. I do have some family in Philadelphia.. I never see anymore. I know people from all walks of life, all over the world. They are my friends now. Screw that old life. I am over being young. Anybody can be my friend. Anybody.

Oh yeah. I fly. I will never not have a flight ready craft. My grandpa flew the B-24. I have an inherent love of flight since I was a child, and I fly radio controlled helicopters whenever I can. Big ones. Fast, and slow. Up, down, right, and left.

I was sent to some very good and expensive schools when I was a kid. I have had quite a few great teachers in this world, and one of them ( Capt. York) taught me to type, very well. I love the English language, and all its grandeur. I can half speak Spanish. Foreign language conjugation gets me. I can say they built the hobby of learning itself, into me, and that has been one of the most valuable things to me my entire life. Yeah, I proofread, and yea, I am not always right. I'll still fight you over it.

Enjoy your medical plans. I'll be dying over there, in the corner. Dont mind me. I'll be enjoying it. :)

Yeah well, I think I'm done. Dont worry, I'll always know how to type.

It is kinda personal, but I dont mind. Anyone who doesn't want to read it, simply wont. Yeah, my hobbies and work are going to be kinda personal, but I do enjoy the reading, here. I presume you people do to, right? Why not share, if you have the ability. This is the way I look at it, and the thread did interest me, just because I love people in general. Y'all are good people, here.

Working on what you work on. Doing the things you do. Thanks for the work.

Dogdipstick - What does it mean when you are on the books of companies?
You are either getting paid from them or not.
I am poor as a dog and a college dropout. No job, even though I am on the books for three companies.

Neptronix - I dislike the term hack, it gives a negative connotation to something that should be positive like health. How about "Healthy Lifestyles" but yeah I think the term hack is over-used like the term barn find when it relates to old automobile sales.
Your health hacks

Dogdipstick - What does it mean when you are on the books of companies?
You are either getting paid from them or not.

I am on the books, meaning, I earn income that is tabulated, and taxed, per the requirements of the IRS. Yearly.

1:) Beckersville Steam Engineering. Laborer, I get a 1099 ( tax form). Not enough sustainable work, especially since the pandemic. Two power plants dropped contracts in the first month of lockdown. Virtually none (work) compared to three, four years ago. I will get a 1099 and have for the past four years.

2:) eBay. This is the third year they sent me a 1099 ( tax form), I sell so much yearly. This is taxed income, but, also goes along with the economy and the current trends in domestic disposable incomes and the inflation, short supply: has hurt my bottom line here too. This year I did not even have to ask for one ( a 1099).. They began sending them out to anyone who brings in more than 600$/year..... I cleared that in the first week of January.

3) ...and get a w-2 (tax form) from Advanced Cleaning Solutions, Allentown Pa. I do love this job, even though it can be like 15 hour plus days every now and again.. hell..

I can work as much as I want with this company, I was here since about 10 employees, and by now we generally have about 300 employees fulfilling contracts all over. This is one of my most reliable sources of income, and the w-2 reflects that certainly. Nick is a good buddy of mine, the owner, he got some contracts after Iraq and did some Blackwater shit: started with a 250K company and turned it into a million plus: He has offered me any schooling I want if it makes the company more money. This is where we do alot of the " cleaning".. but its not really cleaning. Ok, some of it is, yes I've waxxed colleges and hospitals floors: but the bulk of my time here has been in the factories, Volvo, Bimbo, Honeywell, DS.SMITH, Tyco, MACK Trucks, ect, there has been a hundred of them: As a factory floor protector while big roofing companies (CENTI-MARK) replace the roof on the factory. Our job here is to protect the factory floors from the debris of the tear off and replacement: We rent lifts and booms and plastic off the entire factory, in the off hours, for the roofers to start. We work around an operating factory, often. We also often work with the GC for the final cleanout of constructions. Alot of these things go hand in hand. The work is endless. Endless labor. Last year, at this time, exactly, I was in a DS. Smith factory with my friend, about the size of four football fields, and we had it all to ourselves for about two months straight. Local, so it was easy to get to and fro. My bro grabbed me for this whole job as his laborer.

However, since I do not drive, I am not a reliable employee. Every one in a permanent positioning is req. to have a license, and be reliable. Nick likes reliable ( Army Boy) and punctual. The director of operation for this company is a best friend of mine, and he is one of those guys who pays for oil changes in my garage,.. but.. he cannot drive me 30 miles to Allentown every day, and still be operations manager. So I get what I can get when I can get it.... and it has not been very good this year. We laid off half the company when the pandemic first came around, even though we clean every hospital in the area and all the colleges, long term contracts to clean thousands of dorms. Most of our employees are Spanish speaking Dominicans or Puerto Ricans out of Reading Pa. They can sure work up a storm. I would be their boss, if I could drive. I would work with this company for the rest of my life, If I had a license. I have pestered all my friends in this company till the point they know what I'm going to ask next. I'm gonna ask if they are going my way to the next job. Can I hitch a ride. However, I cannot, all the time: but I am still on the books, get the checks, they are direct deposited, get the taxed income. I worked with Advanced last Monday: I was needed for something ( tool pickup on a 3-story office that got flipped:, went with my bro and loaded a trailer with vacuums, mops, buckets, hoses, and floor scrubbers). On the books.

....that is what I mean by " on the books"... Paying taxes on what I earn. As is opposed to " under the table". I have to report three sources of income on the tax form this year. Unfortunately it is not alot of income. Honestly, eBay is winning out of all three of those, so far, this year.

The garage work never really earns me much. I did (F+R brakes, hoses, fluid, calipers, CV joints, rotors, on) a Subaru Forester then had to troubleshoot a OBD code for an O2 sensor: ( rusted exhaust o2 sensor bunghole, free air ingress, catalytic efficiency down, was failing inspections) a couple weeks ago: Time to complete was 8 hours and at 10$/ph, I earned 80$. NO, I dont pay tax on my home shop garage work.

Pics of the DS Smith factory, our job, and our trusty steeds. This job was not to bad. The roofers were quick. Mess was kept to a minimum most of the time. The rest of the time I had a 40,000lb forklift to fill the dumpsters with. Factory was huge. Like miles of factory. ...two of us, two months, and about ????$ worth of plastic, zip ties, fancy 10$ a roll tape, and beam clamps. Its honest labor. They let us do what we want. We work around the roofers schedules, and the factory requirements. I do love it. I miss not having it. Have you ever seen a ten million dollar " Corrogator"? Let alone climb around on it, to plastic it off? Lol. ( hint, its about a football field long and takes 8 foot tall, five foot wide, 6000lb rolls of paper and makes cardboard out of it.. with steam. ) Most jobs are not local ( 10 miles). On the books.... there's really no "under the table" when you have to sign in and out of 100 million dollars worth of factory every day. So its " On the books". This job was the bulk of my income last year, those two months,.

I once wanted to be an artist, perhaps a paperback writer. Little did I know, how much fun, construction would be. 8)

Attachments

• 174568811_155439106498615_2378058426699327066_n.jpg
    174568811_155439106498615_2378058426699327066_n.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 721
  • 160574148_4211977938832503_3869771113056430085_n.jpg
    160574148_4211977938832503_3869771113056430085_n.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 721
  • 175429161_1285085691925092_7397161967746813951_n.jpg
    175429161_1285085691925092_7397161967746813951_n.jpg
    567.3 KB · Views: 721
calab said:
Neptronix - I dislike the term hack, it gives a negative connotation to something that should be positive like health. How about "Healthy Lifestyles" but yeah I think the term hack is over-used like the term barn find when it relates to old automobile sales.
Your health hacks

To me, the word 'healthy' actually carries more negative connotations than the word 'hack'. But both are loaded terms that can be used positively or negatively.

The positive use of the word 'hack' means achieving a seemingly impossible and very clever, very powerful result.

I will add to the hobbies list, we are interested in sponsorship of various grassroots EV race efforts with parts or cash as needed. Feel free to pitch me, I don't even care about having any marketing results from it, just to advance EVs replacing ICEs through superior performance in every type of powersports event.

So you either have a medical condition, a criminal conviction or insurance is to high.

However, since I do not drive, I am not a reliable employee.

calab said:
So you either have a medical condition, a criminal conviction or insurance is to high.

However, since I do not drive, I am not a reliable employee.

Criminal conviction(s). 1000% Hell yeah I broke those laws. Guilty.

I was convicted of a slew of drug related crimes in 2015, The law changed while I was in prison in 2016. Some 8 charges, surrounding marijuana. I could get it back: and have been thinking about it. Going back to my workaholic ratrace industrial laboring jobs that I love, full time, again. Having a license and being a reliable employee. Soon: Perhaps. Hence why I think the electric bicycle hobby may fade in me within some time.

You are allowed by law to buy, and use, marijuana in Pa. This is something, that I did not grow up with, and saw the law change in my adulthood. With lobbying, grassroots movements, getting convicted of petty marijuana crimes by the hundreds of thousands:, and the courtship of legislators. I saw marijuana become legal here in Pa, by a Governors countless efforts.

However, the United States Federal Government states marijuana is a Schedule 1 drug that requires stiff penalty. To this day. Worse than heroin or Cocaine, methamphetamine.... So a police officer can still use the DUI law to full effect ( including the modification of a traffic citation to a felony, which is happened to 4/8 of my initial charges:). Should an Officer or Trooper choose. The penalty for the fourth Sched1 hard drug DUI in Pa is a minimum 5 year sentence ( or drug court, but thats another kind of silly penalty that takes over your life. ).

Fleeing and eluding is only 23 months, and PWID is only 12 months. 5 years for any 3rd DUI and every one after that one... Sure, there are programs for single time DUI offenders, but I am long past that: If I get another DUI I certainly go to jail: Then prison: and rehabs: Halfway houses,: and drug treatment facilities; and pay huge fines.. and deal in minimum sentences. I would get parole. If released. The prosecutor, for my case, needed the DUI to stick, for all the other charges to stick: and the DUI charge also held the largest sentence.

So: you can get a DUI up to a month after smoking, vaping, suppository use, THC skin care treatment, used shampoo last night, ect... in PA.. even if you have not touched marijuana, nor have any marijuana, on your person. . I could drive. Nothings holding me back. I could go right now and get my license back and go drive the Ford F150 that has sat in my drive way for last five years. However, If I get pulled over, and had touched, with my fingers, or smoked marijuana, within the last month, they will send me away for 5 years. No judge jury or executioner. This would be my 4th marijuana Dui. Repeat offender. It is not worth it to go to jail for 5 years on a fourth offense. So I just dont drive. Dont want to lose my home, ect. with the cost. I dont wanna do another 23 months in county prison. Lol. I maxxed out my sentence about two years ago ( meaning the state cannot re-sentence me again for that crime, its over, sentence was run). I mean, I got a truck for some stupid reason. I should sell it. Lol. Bicycle is really cheap compared to a roadgoing vehicle, registration, and insurance.

I wait for the Federal Government to decriminalize marijuana from its " Schedule 1 drug " classification. Then I will drive again.

Its not worth it. I poked the tiger one time to many. I would rather smoke weed with my friends, than drive without it. Fact is, a police officer needs zero evidence of THC to prosecute: to this day: Prosecution only needs a blood test. If you have 1 part per billion ( 1 nG / L) of THC in your system, guilty, no defense. ( Shampoo can do this, give you a false positive THC test reading, greater than the PER SE law of 1nG/L). Then any charge you accrued, along with the Sched 1 drug charge, can be modified.. to reflect the drug crime nature of the criminal act: With much stiffer penalty: I decided in 2015 that If Pa wanted me off the roads that bad, so bad; I would just stay off the roads for my fellow Pennsylvanian. While enjoying the marijuana they sell me.

I have seen a million dollars, seized, in cases, only to be prosecuted with a nolle prosse. Against my friends and family. Cars, trucks, properties, even the RV. Count up the time ( all) my friends, family, and I have done for weed and you would have a few lifetimes. They give out big sentences for drug trafficking, even if you dont do it all... ( programs, or parole release). Animals at prosecution, around here. The DA is really hard on drug crime.

Honestly I think I could even get a DUI on a bicycle.. but the laws have changed, and there is not alot of insured liability on any bicycle, so noone cares. I often wave at police officers, as they watch me ride my bike to the marijuana store: They know they could get me, but they also know why I am riding the bike in the first place most probably. Lol. I am not alone. Thousands here still get marijuana DUI upon the officers or Troopers whim, and mood, that day, to this day. Whatever.

I love marijuana. I harbor no shame in saying that. I just really dont need to go out and get another DUI. Marijuana is certainly just about the only reason I ( began to) ride an ebike. Then I learned ho much fun they are.

Anybody need any weed? I got you. I've been shipping marijuana around the nation along with everyone else in UPS trucks from Arcadia ever since..since.. I was about 20. There is nothing in the world like the mist that comes down, cooling, the Californian mountains in the morning. Makes for some very good Marijuana. My first marijuana DUI was in 2001. Second was 2012, and the worst one ( 3rd) was 2015. I was still under prosecution for the 2012 crime at this time... All pending charges were combined into one case, the state prosecuted, against me. There was no winning it. I just plead guilty. If I had tried to plead innocent: And request a jury trial by my peers: with a hired attorney: I very well may still be waiting ( in the county jail, here) for that trial to begin.. only to possibly lose and get more time thown at me.

I can apply for expungement, or even pardon, with the governor, now, if I had a good lawyer. Since those laws in PA have changed, they began giving out pardons, specifically for old marijuana drug crimes. However, the Federal Government will still consider Marijuana ( cannabis) a schedule 1 drug with the stiffest penalties and modifiers. Tet Sched 1 drug modified a failure to stop for me into a Fleeing and Eluding, aka a "violent crime" along with a bunch more. In turn, some felonies. They dropped the PWID for a guilty plea on the DUI's, trafic infractions, and the F&E. Wanted to give me an open sentence, I said no, tell me what I'm guilty of, I'll do the time. Who dafug are they reforming. Lol. Gtfug out. Lemme in the cellblock already.

I never hurt anyone, nor damaged any property. Only was pulled over for traffic infractions, with THC in, or around, my person. Put in cuffs. They took my weed. Take me to jail. Lets get going. Already.

Laws surrounding marijuana. We are still trying to change that. Not all Officers are dicks. Alot of them dont care anymore. Esp if you ahve a State of Pa Marijuana card... Hell, now you are helping pay their salary with the products tax.

calab said:
So you either ...a criminal conviction

So how about you, Caleb? What are your hobbies? Business? What got you into ebikes?

Since i'm still sort of bouncing around, i haven't had space to work on ebikes for anything other than short periods of time.
I've been working on building and then selling my productivity software non stop + running an IT biz for the last year and a half.

But i haven't been totally lost.. i have 3 recumbents to build once the space materializes :)

Having the space to do things is the important key factor, a garage is ideal with properly equipped tools.

I use ebikes for transportation, its cheap but I am moving away from them and wanting to drive again so I can go on road trips near and far. I want to do new things, but I am lazy and dont do them so I tell myself I will do something and I will do it. So thats what I am doing lately. Need my own vehicle for that which means I need to jump through the hoops and pay pay pay.

What got me into ebikes was the waste of time buses took, and the need for cheap transportation.
Whats getting me into stand up scooters is just to try something new and build something and see how it goes. I have not progressed on it, but hopefully by spring I will have mounted a motor to it to cruise around and laugh at all the rental scooter punks or the punks who bought their own $1k+ stand up scooter. At most what I would do with my scooter is buy a rc motor and esc for a couple hundred but I want to try and hook up a ezee hub motor first to power the rear wheel. I dismissed 80cc gasoline engines on a bicycle pretty quickly, and researched ebikes for a long time before buying. I will continue to have ebikes, bring them along with me in my travels to cruise trails, its just so much better then walking and taking transit.

I was at the hobby store today, buying some 12g silicone wire and I was surprised to see them selling bbq's and a wide assortment of stuff from painting kits, to models, rockets, rc toys ranging from $100 to $1300 and rc tanks which looked amazing. I played World of Tanks on the PC for a long time, having an actual rc tank would be cool. The bylaws here dont allow much air craft rc toys, but I would be totally into rc trucks and speed racers. The rc tanks wouldnt be much fun except to look at. I kept the kids rwd rc cars, just needs new batteries and a charger then I can take it to the bmx track.

I would love to pitch an ev idea or two to you Mr. Live for physics, and anyone else here guys. I am loving all things ev and am blown away by what is being done on this website and everywhere else right now. I am just learning about this technology and am a total noob, but I can build almost anything and want to try to ride almost anything. 2400amp controller on a bike? What!?! I would do that! So I am in love with my fast Dualtron scooter and that is the start of my new project, which I will call a sled here. My scooter has motors on both wheels and it gets to speed very quickly and powerfully, which I love. I also love the standing driving position and relatively low center of gravity and high ground clearance. The all wheel drive handling really helps on road an on mild off road, which is good for me. And it runs for pennies, never breaks down, and always starts! I don’t like the small wheel size and no real suspension, but I still really love to ride it. I got a chance to ride the $7k flagship Dualtron scooter which has 13” tires and real suspension and that was an awesome ride, and the biggest scooter I know of. But still I dreamed of full size tires. So I bought the biggest, baddest motorcycle hub motors I could afford and am building the biggest scooter that I know of. I basically scaled my Dualtron scooters measurements up for my 17” motorcycle wheels and lowered the riding deck and a few other changes. This is my ultimate 2 wheel, have fun, grocery getter, go fast, do everything scoot. Hopefully I can give my daughter a ride to school on it. I am just finishing my working mock up of the front end now so I should have pictures of the whole sled together in a day or two. This is my humble attempt to push the envelope of performance and utility for this type of vehicle, but I am also working on my e bike, e boats and even electric amphibians! Thank you guys, especially the engineers, for your help and info. I will have a lot more on the sled tomorrow.

Attachments

• E639D74E-24CA-47AF-98EA-559C10ECAFC7.jpeg
    E639D74E-24CA-47AF-98EA-559C10ECAFC7.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 474
Glad you like 2400Amp phase current motor controllers! That was too irresistible for me to pass up!

About your scooter, I love high power stand up scooters too! Paradoxically my friend, low center of gravity on things you lean to turn helps the rider feels an experience that's easy to transition into and out of leaning, but your performance limits and cornering capabilities are not helped, and perhaps hurt by it. I much prefer ground clearance under the scooter deck and a higher COG as a result.

Glad you like to build hotrod EVs!

Back