Chevy Bolt first drive

Hillhater said:
Warren said:
They will build an SUV instead, because SUVs sell. .....
There is something seriously wrong at GM. :roll:

When your business plan is to attract and equip bullies, yes there is something seriously wrong with you. It may not be reflected on the company balance sheets.

Did you see arnolds big suburban suv seriously hurt the ev driver and almost crush another car because arnold broke the law and was in a big rush that big bully. That is the whole reason he probably bought that big suv, its safe. Lets just hope the victims of arnold can cash in millions of dollars.

https://www.tmz.com/2022/01/21/arnold-schwarzenegger-car-accident-prius-suv-injuries/

My bad, to me it doesnt make a difference, ev or hybrid yes I know the difference. Imagine if the front bumper hit the side door of that small car and arnold had a steel a.r.b. bumper with a winch on it, this is why arnold paid $120k for a 3.5 ton suburban xl its all about weight and mass. I saw a similar vehicle the jeep grand wagoneer, same size as the burb but jeep has moved away from the off roading segment long ago, the most off roading anyone does anymore is back alley's and gravel country roads.

GM makes shitty vehicles, the fuel savings is imposed by the government forcing them to make sub standard cylinder de-activiation for fuel savings, making the lifters kill the entire engine. 2006 I believe or 2007 was when that scammed rolled out. Other scams are water pumps being driven off a timing chain, Ford flex, Acadia clones. Costs thousands in labor and new parts that dont need to be replaced but have to since your taking them apart.
Hillhater said:
Warren said:
They will build an SUV instead, because SUVs sell. .....
There is something seriously wrong at GM. :roll:

The chevrolet bolt is one I should look into for a cheap used vehicle but I am always hestitant to buy domestic but I am stuck at a cheaper end of the consumer scale, I totally wish I had the cash to buy new toyota or used toyota. Hopefully batteries will become cheaper and I can build my own diy hybrid to accompany a separated drive train.

So gas here is sitting at $4.29 for the last few weeks. With an electric car, two electric bikes, an electric chainsaw, lawnmower, and weed whip, we haven't bought any gas in almost five years.

Our Bolt is still working perfectly, at 43K miles. Total maintenance expense, so far, has been a gallon of windshield washer fluid, and a few cups of Tide for washing it. I rotate the tires every 7500 miles myself, for something to do.

Lifetime energy use, from the wall, has been 3.3 miles/kWh or 303 Wh/mi. The charger is 95% efficient, so car average is 288 Wh/mi. We don't skimp on HVAC use, and don't hypermile, other than keeping the tires inflated.

We pay 12 cents a kWh, so are spending 3.6 cents a mile. You'd have to be getting 119 mpg to match us.

GM keeps telling us we can come in to get a new battery that is 8% higher capacity, and restarts the 8 year, 100K mile warranty clock. I think we will wait until we hit 50K miles, at least. Some gig drivers have actually gotten the recall battery after getting 150K out of their original battery.

Warren said:
So gas here is sitting at $4.29 for the last few weeks. .
We pay 12 cents a kWh, so are spending 3.6 cents a mile. You'd have to be getting 143 mpg to match us.
Warren, i think your math is a little off.
At $4.29 , it would only need 119mpg to give 3.6 c/mile
And you are lucky to have such a low electricity cost, if you were paying Ca power prices it would be much less clear....
.....especally with “normal” gas prices.

Hillhater said:
[
And you are lucky to have such a low electricity cost, if you were paying Ca power prices it would be much less clear....

Oops! Right you are.

Our electric coop is a holdover from the 1930's...damned commies. :wink:

I visited California for the first time in the early 1970s. I decided then it was totally unsustainable.

Warren said:
I visited [strike] California [/strike] the United States for the first time in the early 1970s. I decided then it was totally unsustainable.

Fixed that for you.

Chalo said:
Fixed that for you.

Yeah. How are things in the breakaway Republic of Texas? I see the oligarchs are starting to move there.

https://www.businessinsider.com/tesla-texas-headquarters-move-from-california-officiallly-complete-elon-musk-2021-12#:~:text=Tesla%20is%20now%20officially%20a,life%20and%20business%20to%20Austin.

Warren said:
Chalo said:
Fixed that for you.

Yeah. How are things in the breakaway Republic of Texas? I see the oligarchs are starting to move there.

Yeah, Elon is dodging state income tax by moving to a state that would never have enabled his success to begin with.

Things are broken here in Austin. It's gotten so expensive to rent or buy a place to live here that it's displacing folks who do honest work. All we can do now is await the long overdue crash that will send the parasites fleeing towards the next hustle.

Plenty of Teslas in my neck of the woods, but not a lot of other EVs of any kind.

Chalo said:
Plenty of Teslas in my neck of the woods, but not a lot of other EVs of any kind.

Yup. Same for central Virginia. I am seeing more Bolts in the last few months, but Teslas still outnumber them 10 to one. I think Teslas are catching up to Priuses in Charlottesville.

Hillhater said:
Warren said:
We pay 12 cents a kWh, so are spending 3.6 cents a mile. You'd have to be getting 143 mpg to match us.

But if you are paying CA power prices, then you would also have to pay CA gas prices.

thepronghorn said:
Hillhater said:
Warren said:

But if you are paying CA power prices, then you would also have to pay CA gas prices.
So what would be a “normal” (pre Biden) gas price ?

https://ballotpedia.org/Gasoline_costs_by_state,_2018
The national average for a gallon of regular gasoline on Aug. 7, 2018, was $2.86.
Cali $3.62

Gas thefts will be up. There is no more fill up and runs as its all prepaid pretty much everywhere. I think some places even require an attendant. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/new-house-bill-could-grant-oregonians-a-choice-at-the-pump/ar-AAT91XB

Hillhater said:
So what would be a “normal” (pre Biden) gas price ?

There are many ways of looking at this depending on where /how you recharge , and the price of gas.
Warren is in a good place for his EV currently with cheap mains electricity and high priced gas.
But if he (or anyone with an EV) has to use a public charge station , or happen to live in/visit another state where electricity costs are higher ( many states are over 20c/kWh ) then its a different picture.
Also, whenever an EV has to use Public chargers, prices can vary from 0c up to 80+c/kWh (Blink), even tesla is 28c/kWh.
https://www.myev.com/research/comparisons/comparing-public-electric-vehicle-charging-networks?loaded=1648188358298
And of course current gas prices are not typical of past or future costs
If/when gas gets back to <$3/gal , anybody with that 20c/kWh electricity would only be getting the cost equivalent of 45mpg...which is not unusual in a small car.
But, if the EV driver has to rely on public chargers, then any cost saving are well blown out...
..Tesla’s charger @ 28c/kWh would give a 9.9c/m , or 32 mpg equivalent ..
...and that Blink 80c/kWh would mean approx 25c/mile, or 12mpg equivalent of that $3 gas ! :shock:

Note: cost /mile based on Warrens figure of 3 m per kWh .

Warren said:
So gas here is sitting at $4.29 for the last few weeks. With an electric car, two electric bikes, an electric chainsaw, lawnmower, and weed whip, we haven't bought any gas in almost five years.

Our Bolt is still working perfectly, at 43K miles. Total maintenance expense, so far, has been a gallon of windshield washer fluid, and a few cups of Tide for washing it. I rotate the tires every 7500 miles myself, for something to do.

Lifetime energy use, from the wall, has been 3.3 miles/kWh or 303 Wh/mi. The charger is 95% efficient, so car average is 288 Wh/mi. We don't skimp on HVAC use, and don't hypermile, other than keeping the tires inflated.

We pay 12 cents a kWh, so are spending 3.6 cents a mile. You'd have to be getting 119 mpg to match us.

GM keeps telling us we can come in to get a new battery that is 8% higher capacity, and restarts the 8 year, 100K mile warranty clock. I think we will wait until we hit 50K miles, at least. Some gig drivers have actually gotten the recall battery after getting 150K out of their original battery.
How much is a car charger? This could take away from the 3.6 cents claim. What are insurance costs?

Insurance don't know how rate EV's. Car chargers are built into the EV's. Except when using the DC fast chargers. The box's for charging are more of a communications and to keep the connections, wiring and amps in the correct range.

How much is a car charger? This could take away from the 3.6 cents claim. What are insurance costs?

Have a 2013 Leaf that is shared with my mother. Drove it mostly at first, was getting 4.8 mi/kw now she drives it more and we get 4.5 mi/kw. Hardly no freeway driving. Electric here is $0.09/kw reported but if you add in the fees and surcharges it's more like $0.12. So 45 miles for $1.20. Gas here is $3.60 a gallon and can go for 135 miles on that.

We only put about 5k miles a year. Figure about 5$ a month for fuel. Like Warren went all :bolt: have not bought Gasoline for over 4 years.

I am no fan of GM, or any car company. That said, IMO, the Bolt is the cheapest, and best, sensible electric car you can buy. If you "need" to tow a trailer, or drive coast to coast more than once, no sensible car will do that, but if you just schlepp around, like 90% of the US population, it doesn't get any better.

https://insideevs.com/car-lists/cheapest-ev-200-mile-range/

So Warren? Do you miss sitting in line to get gasoline or dealing with the pumps and car jackers. Then there is the ritual of looking for the cheapest prices. Have almost forgot about all of it. When arriving home just plug it in if needed and if driving at least 20 mi I will turn it up to 100% every few months and arrive back home at 80%.

Warren said:
I am no fan of GM, or any car company. That said, IMO, the Bolt is the cheapest, and best, sensible electric car you can buy. If you "need" to tow a trailer, or drive coast to coast more than once, no sensible car will do that, but if you just schlepp around, like 90% of the US population, it doesn't get any better.

https://insideevs.com/car-lists/cheapest-ev-200-mile-range/
Any idea why they list some with the tax rebate (Leaf), But others without ?

I know someone who bought 2 Tesla and got earned income tax credits of about $4000 each time. The tax credits are as good as cash. I don't know if the government is still doing this. There are still tax credits for new appliances and impact windows. A rebate would be something from the manufacturer not the gov't.

Hillhater said:
Ok then,.. call it a tax credit if you prefer ! :roll:
But the question is the same....why on some but not all ?

Because the tax credit is only good for a manufacturer's first 200,000 plug-in cars. Tesla lost that first, then GM, mostly from Volt sales. Nissan will be next, but may still get a few Ariya SUV sales before they run out.

Back