72v PSI leggo - X5304 Chopper

Ypedal

Staff member
I"m finally taking the time to build up my chopper once again ! :p

The X5305 with 48v 12ah prismatic cells was ok last year but the 12ah cells are fizzing out and they are dying one at a time making the chopper a sitting duck, and on top of that the X5304 i built for my Norco did not work out so well either after it pulled itself out of the frame....... so it's chopper upgrade time !

I got my Leggo's from "AndyH" on this forum,
http://www.rechargeablelithiumpower.com/oscommerce2/catalog/index.php

The cells themselves i got direct from PSI in taiwan last year..

So let's begin !

I've decided to build the pack in 12v blocks, given my history of relocating bits and pieces to different projects as i burn things up :wink: ..

Attachments

• psi1.JPG
    psi1.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 9,840
Hi Gaston,

So the cells will sit perpendicular to the frame? Those cells about 6-inches long right? Add another inch for the plastic legos... that's about 7-inches wide you gotta straddle your legs around to pedal. Oh I see the chopper no pedals... just foot pegs.

What are you gonna do to support the individual 12-volt packs appart from each other? You gonna have a board or cover of some sort at the ends? Looks like you can even fit your controller in that triangle if you arrange your 12-volt packs closer to each other.

nice.

i got my bms from AndyH top guy :)
so whats happening with the dually :?: :lol: and wheres the badassical dh'er? eh? eh?

D

Sacman : Alot of unknowns lol... i figure it out as i go .. :lol: .. i measured the assembled 12v pack and with end plates etc it will be 7.5" long, and that's correct, no pedals.. just footpegs. :wink:

D : The Norco is screwed, needs a new swingarm( fudged the dropouts with an X5 !! .. ouch ) .. i'm ordering a new swingarm from the local bike shop if we can work it out somehow, i'm admitting to personal stupidity and not trying to go for a warranty claim.. it is my fault. The Dualy will end up either on the norco if i can get a new swingarm, or on the TF frame once i buy a front end for it ( trying to find a good deal on a tripple crown fork with front 24" and disk )

--

as per " BMI " in the battery section of the forum, one layer of electrical tape and the cells wedge right into the blocks..

nice work on the psi's Y.
major bummer on the norco (just caught up on that) :cry: hopefully you can get a replacement swingarm for her.
If the norco is a no go can't you use the duallys on that on the tf?

D

Each of the 4 -cell boards has a little LED fuel gauge. will those be visible?

rick

Rk, had not realized there were LED's on there, re-read the PSI bms document and aparently they are voltage regulated ( not capacity ) and yeah.. i'm going to have to figure out a way to keep them visible... i have an idea but will wait until i get there to see how it will look..

A few days ago i went to Home Depot and picked up some acrylic, one .118" x 36" x 72" and a few smaller pieces of 1/4"...

Attachments

• psi11.JPG
    psi11.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 5,767
Back to the blocks..

Drilling out the corner to fish the wires is one option but it still puts the wires in the way of the acrylic panels i plan to use.. so using a dremel and a routing bit. and my sacrificial block ( always order a few extras !! ) ..

Attachments

• Psi13.JPG
    Psi13.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 5,736
Ok, so tonight i cut the acrylic sheet in two with the help of my neighbor using my table saw, we tried a big industrial paper cutter i have but the pinching action of the blade cracked the acrylic and it's a no go.. table saw worked great in the end..

And now to bench test the pack before spending hours working on boxing this thing... if i have a problem i prefer to know now, not later..

Found a way to stack all 6 x 12v packs so i can connect them with the tabs.. Put stickers on each pack to visualize it all.. checked and rechecked.. and checked again .. a few more times to make SURE i have the + - + - + - order correct... !!!!! :shock:

Attachments

• psi19.JPG
    psi19.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 5,637
Each 12v ( 4 cells in series ), has a 6pin VMS pigtail, 2 of those wires i had to cut in order to fish them thru the blocks.. Soldered those back on . I plan to cut the excess wires down to 1 or 2 " from the pack, just long enough to bolt the boards at the end of each pack with the wires facing the cells, and LED"s facing the outside of the pack !! 8)

Attachments

• psi20.JPG
    psi20.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 5,628
Back