Y-pedal's two stage RC drive..........

AT low RPM, chains are quiet. But, the higher the RPM, the more noise they make (as mentioned earlier).

All motors make some noise especially under load. Also, some mics pic it up more than others.

Anyway, Astros are a touch noisey. But, they are strong for their size.

My Plettemberg sounds like a turbine. 8)

Matt

recumpence said:

Matt

Matt..the Plettemberg has been bought up tonight in my thread on the Australian EV site i have my worklog on, do you have this motor mounted in a bike or a RC model mate? If bike got pics i can post please? They claim its a 15kw motor? /ot soz YPedal...

KiM

Thanks for the comments guys !!

Last few steps for the season will be to tidy up the wiring, i'm really tempted to order up some LiPo but damn winter is very near, i would prefer getting fresh cells at the start of the 2010 season, I may bolt up a rear rack on this rig and double up the capacity for now, at 20ah voltage sag won't be so bag and the range would make it usable for in city trips.. I'm gonig to try a low speed test this afternoon, keeping the amps below 40 and see how i make out..

Any settings on the controller side i can safely tinker with ? timing advance etc ? dangers of trying different khz range ?

Hey Y,

great vid, top speed is looking pretty good to me 8)
what settings are you running at now? i notice your continual power use too, motor temp ok? do you have a monitor on it just to be safe? i know the feeling of blowing 7ah just like that, thats why i want to get of crank drive and go direct myself.

Cheers,

D

GGoodrum said:
I like the NuVinci. It looks like you can change ratios at will. Can you "downshift" under load?
In the first video, between 2:10 and 2:25 he shifts up then back down, all under load.
How much resistance to twisting the shifter though?

Yes, you can shift up under load, but for shifting back down i just let off the throttle a tiny bit ( barely enough to make the motor rpm drop ) and twist the shift lever then back on the throttle very seamlessly as unlike a deraileur where you have to wait for the chain to make it on the cog before you kick the pedals.. shifting is kinda constantly instant on the nuvinci.

I need to mount a small mirror in front of the inch worm to see it while sitting down, because i have the shift pod on the left and i need my Avid brakes to work, the display is facing forward..

AussieJester said:
recumpence said:

Matt

Matt..the Plettemberg has been bought up tonight in my thread on the Australian EV site i have my worklog on, do you have this motor mounted in a bike or a RC model mate? If bike got pics i can post please? They claim its a 15kw motor? /ot soz YPedal...

KiM

I am using the Terminator on my recumbent. The 15kw motor is the Predator. That motor does not have an output shaft, though. So, it is very difficult to use.

Matt

Miles,

are you considering a RC motor driving your SRAM 3 speed on your moulton bike ?

Anyone trying a RC motor into a SRAM 3 speed ?

Dude! Are you sure you are on the right thread? :lol: The next one up maybe? Ggoodrum has a few, Methods, Y, and soon many others.

Great video, thanks for sharing Y. I live through your eyes for a moment, it rekindles past projects. :cry: I am joining the fray soon, I have my own three speed direct drive in the works.

My question is does that Nuvinci ever feel like the roller balls inside are slipping? Or are the amps you are pulling not enough to overcome the hub? I assume that would be the limiting factor in terms of the Nuvinci, or am I mistaken?

jmygann said:
Miles,
are you considering a RC motor driving your SRAM 3 speed on your moulton bike ?
jmy,
Of course. I've been considering it for 5 years.... I think I was the first person on the forum to buy an Astro 3210 for this purpose :wink: Anyway, I should get around to it, over the winter :)

Please excuse the interruption, Y.

Does the nuvinci attempt to twist on the 'dropout' (bracket)? I tried it with the motor mounted just above the hub and it was most difficult to keep from twisting in the bracket. I need very heavy 1omm square hold downs when I get around to it. Maybe the other side is 8mm I can't remember.

With it in line driving off the bb does this more or less reduce the problem to less than significant?

gunthn, no, my nuvinci stays put so far. If your chainline is not quite right it will pull and force things to flex leading to problems, a straight chainline is important imo..

Update on RC bike, you know some days how any project you tackle just works out easily and successfully ?.. well today is not one of those days. :?

Recent problem has been motor/chainring stage rubbing the frame at the swingarm, after a few hard runs parts are bedding in ( cranks onto bottom bracket ) and the 1mm gap i had for the chain is not that wide anymore.. so i got a new slimmer chain, shimano, break the half link chain off, put shimano on and of course.. not a half link it's either one link too long and my tensioner won't work, or too short and can't be connected... grrrr..

Then i decide to swap the 18t ENO for a 16t to reduce the gearing even more, uhm, that aluminum adapter is really.. and i mean " REALLY " wedged in there... I 1st clamped it in a vice, and tried the pin and hammer method, i managed to mangle some metal pretty good..

Then i fabbed up a tool from a 30mm socket ( had to file it down some more, this was made to remove the swingarm on my Honda 250SX trike as the stock honda tool is like 300 $ ), used a big 3/8" bolt and cranked down the set screws, clamped the bolt in a vice..

THat is indeed a situation.

Could you just use a deraileur?

I had the same issue of chain slack and the half link. I recall that I just thew in the towel and made some abortion with an old sunrace. I still could not get that thing to not spin in the dropouts. I had wrenches welded on and cranked it to the bejesus but still it spun. I guess the torque just works in the right direction off the bb.

Quite an excellent job and good luck wit da wrench!

Getting cold out here but no snow yet !! .. so projects continue !

After a long and arduous search i finally found my original adapter, man o man i went thru the entire house and garage about 10 times before i found it .. but i did !! :wink:

Found a friend of a friend with a lathe who was able to turn down the piece in order to fit it inside the 16t ENO.. woooot !

Attachments

• 16t.JPG
    16t.JPG
    32.6 KB · Views: 2,553
Another issue to sort out is the Cycle Analyst, i'm currently using an inline model with the original shunt, they are ok for X5's at 50 amps but this thing needs juice and lots of it so i need to beef up the shunt...

Got this beauty with my Agni 95 Reinforced motor and curtis controller, ( Thank you Bikeraider !!! ) rated at 500 amps ! I have no clue how to wire this up yet but it's on the list for this weekend !

Going to either double Anderson PP45's or the bigger PP75, single run of 10 gauge from the backpack is not adequate..

Attachments

• shunt.JPG
    shunt.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 2,548
wooooot.
does this mean the Y machine will be running again this weekend?
Looking forward to some more vids please mate, getting cold here too - tis the season for rebuilds!!

D

Possibly ! I'm also working on the chopper and the " Mini-B " at the same time so i'm keeping myself entertained !

Got some chain rub issues, this one will be easy to fix for now.. " The frame gets it ! " I think i'm going to cut a notch in the frame and wedge and JB Weld a piece of nylon material in there, I noticed on the last ride that the seat was vibrating a bit more than before, chain links grinding away .. I'll make room ! :wink:

Attachments

• chainrub.JPG
    chainrub.JPG
    24.9 KB · Views: 2,542
Up late last night with a bottle of red wine, nice relaxing saturday afternoon all to myself .. just awsome..

I was going to bolt on the 16t ENO and go for a test, but i already know i need more reduction so the chainrings are next..

The 40t i have on hand is a 4 hole, i need 5.. so using the biggest drill bit i have on hand clamped both rings together using 1 existing hole, and made 4 more to match the IPS pattern.

Darn thing has a recessed portion around the bolt holes, now that i've changed the pattern they are in the way of a flush mount..grrrr....

Used my drill press as an end mill with a dremel routing bit.. cranked up the deck to the right height and worked it into shape.

Attachments

• drillpress.JPG
    drillpress.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 2,410
Looks great! You should notice a big difference in performance and efficiency.

I am curious what your efficiency is at 2500 to 3000 watts. That is the sweet spot for the 3210.

Matt

Yeah, double 45's would make life easier as my packs are all multi-purpose and i have the PP30/45 standard on all my stuff already.

Found another problem to deal with :| rear chain tensioner won't work no more, the smaller chainring brings the chain too close to the rear frame, if i could get one more link out ( like 2mm is all i need, but it won't go... )re-working that now.. :wink:

Can't wait to see how much of a difference this makes, should allow me to use the full range of the NuVinci, i'm hoping the cvt is more efficient in the 1:1 zone.. Either way, efficiency is not all that much of a concern here, top priority is smoothness and reliability, efficiency gets fixed with more batteries, easy peazy..

Back