Headway 48v 10ah - EVcomponents.com

Ypedal

Staff member
I finally got my hands on a Headway pack ! :p

Why ? well, I sold my e-BMX ( with rear wheel e-bikekit.com 20" wheel in it and a crystalyte 36/72v 35 amp controller with a soldered shunt for 50 amps, Cycle Analyst, etc.. ) I run it currently with a PSI 10ah pack, since my PSI packs are my original order from last season, and i've been experimenting with them ( no BMS, 10C discharges on the RC bike, some cells have been sitting for months, i have some with broken studs i've been messing with.. ) I want to keep them until they die for scientific reasons :wink:

The BMX, well.. that i don't mind at all, i will build another one next summer.. love the BMX....

On oct 1st, I ordered via http://www.evcomponents.com :

http://www.evcomponents.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=H4810

On Oct 3rd i got my invoice, paid immediately.. :wink:

- 48v 10ah Headway pack with BMS 349$
- Shipping 95 $
- Paypal + 2.5%
- Duties and Brokerage 29$
- + Exchange rate to canada
Total : 520 Canadian $

No charger !

I requested a tracking number on Oct 20, my customer getting anxious to ride his new to him e-BMX, yes, we have had snow already !!, i was then advised that the container had just landed and it would ship by end of the week.. :cry: . Had i known this i would have advised accordingly and avoided pissing off my customer.. doh.

Last night, Nov 2nd, FedEx left it on my doorstep ( they attempted on previous friday but i was at work and they required their duties and brokerage.. ). I had requested USPS on my order as the online calculator does not yet determine shipping to canada, but i arrived Fedex...... all in all.. that's fine by me.

These cells are as fresh as possible = bonus !

Box was in relatively good condition, no holes .. good.. ( I always take pictures of anything i get shipped, i work for a shipping company and nothing says proof like a picture ) :mrgreen:

Attachments

• HW1.JPG
    HW1.JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 9,059
Ypedal, The box is nce but it have not connector on it!.. Please open it and show us what is inside!

and.. maybe an overall evaluation from you about the buy, shipping and battery quality,

how could you rate it?

Doc

You mean that this isn't a box review? We get to see what's inside? Man that is just toooo coool for me.

Hey, now we know the info many of us really wanted to know. How much does it cost by the time it hits your doorstep? We can count on Ypedal to do an exahustive scrutiny of the thing, but it does take more than overnight to do it, and it isn't the weekend.

Headway molded into the box, nice touch.. + and - also there ( a colorfull sticker would be a nice added touch for those of us with less than 20/20 vision.. but i'm happy with the box ! this will save me a wad of time and efford.. A+ ! )

Voltage as delivered : 53.3v ! ( good ! )

Attachments

• hw4.JPG
    hw4.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 8,899
Yes Sir !! Under the hood we go ! :D

Simple 4 screw, pop the top.

Initial Observations,

- BMS is loosely held on the pack with tape :|
- Pack is not secured to the black box and loosely moves in there
- Broken red plastic tab on bottom left corner

All in all, not too bad, easy fix, Tipped the box sideways and the pack came right out, i see on the bottom of the black box some glue residue and melted red plastic in it, so an attempt was made to stick the pack to the box, however not good enough.

A quick check of the Positive+ and Negative- wires from the BMS to the pack reveals that the + wire is not tight, the cable spins around easily, the negative wire is solidly attached, the bus bars seem ok, sense/ballance wires connected with copper rings instead of being soldered to tabs is one thing i like..

Imo, The pack wires need to be secured to the pack itself, and the terminals need to be coated in either hot-glue or equivalent to prevent vibration loosening, hollow spaces inside the box need to be occupied with foam or other matarial to prevent movement of any sorts, WHEN not IF i crash, i want this thing to stay together..

More later tonight after the day job... :wink:

Attachments

• hw5.JPG
    hw5.JPG
    37.8 KB · Views: 8,878
- Pack is not secured to the black box and loosely moves in there
2- Broken red plastic tab on bottom left corner
, but a shake reveals indication of something moving inside..

1 They tried with hot-glue but it isn't glue at all just melted plastic and couldn't hold a dead fly in place.
2 Those are the cause of the rattling sound you hear

Take that flat packing material and roll it up and you could stick that on the end on both sides of the bms. Another cut down piece could fit on the other end.

RE: reinstalling XP - next time just install Ubuntu.

By now they know they better not send Ypedal any duct tape wrapped batteries. :lol:

But i'm impressed, why the heck can't ping get some plastic boxes made for his packs?

what is the size of that box?

I would be curious to see the Wh per liter resulting of that battery

485Wh 100%dod for what volume?

Doc

Outside measurements of the plastic box:

(4)
Headway = 15.4 Lbs ( 48v 10ah )
20 cm Tall
22 cm Wide
16 cm Deep

(3)
PSI 17.6 lbs ( 48v 10ah)
-19x18x18 cm

(2)
12ah prismatic 25 lbs ( 48v 10 usable ah)
-23x19x13 cm

(1)
20ah 36v LiMn 17.6 lbs
-32x16x10 cm

*Measuring Cell Voltages Now..

Attachments

• packs.JPG
    packs.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 6,022
approximately 8" tall. 8 1/2" x 6 1/2 " wide for us metric impaired yanks. A pair of em would fit easily in most panniers, or one on a rear rack would carry well.

To be sure, Ypedal will fill us all in with his actual results. But it seems I just can't wait to to ask a dumb question. The EVComponents web site says that this battery can continuously discharge 60 amps. That's 48 volts * 60 amps = 2,880 watts, right? If you were to do that, would you not suck dry the battery in a matter of minutes?

(http://www.evcomponents.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=H4810)

At 60 amps, that's 6C, ie: 10 minutes :wink: ( Have done that on my RC bike !! short run, but damn fun ! )

http://www.youtube.com/ypedal#p/a/u/1/PvsAqwSg1iE

The thing is that if you have a powerfull ebike that draws big amps on acceleration, you usually settle into the desired speed in 5 seconds or less, and then you cruise at 10~20 amps.. As long as the pack can put out the power, it's nice to have it on tap.

If you have a Max 2C 10ah battery, you are limited by the battery to 20 amps ... like it or not.

I pickedup a Swiss brand backpack yesterday that fits perfectly.... on the BMX room is a bit limited so having the battery on your back is best, you can throw the bike around and beat on it while the pack gets cushioned by your body.

Battery on it's 2nd shallow cycle now ! charging at 5 amps with 2 Soneil 24v chargers.

Y I love your videos! What a lucky guy, nice route to work. And your bikes perform beautifully. You need to get a friend to shoot some from a car beside / behind / in front of you too though.

Thanks!! :mrgreen:

I'm really interested in your assessment of the BMS. If it does it's job, and reliably, then this represents a topnotch bike pack at a great price.

Thanks for all the effort. Great videos! :mrgreen:

Ypedal said:
At 60 amps, that's 6C, ie: 10 minutes :wink: ( Have done that on my RC bike !! short run, but damn fun ! )

http://www.youtube.com/ypedal#p/a/u/1/PvsAqwSg1iE

Nice work. Cool video. The only thing you need is a beautiful assistant :D

Funny to see the cars just barely passing you. My guess is that you were going about 35-40mph...close?

Keep info coming on these packs. Look like a great product at a resonable price. ... group order anyone?

1st cycle 2ah ( 3amps )
2nd cycle 5ah ( 10 amps )
3rd cycle 10ah ( 9.95ah at 10 amps )

CHARGING :
The BMS shuts down the charger at 55.7v when cell No.2 hits 3.8~3.9v . The remaining 15 cells are all in the 3.4~3.5v range, no heat detectable from the BMS.. Once the charger goes green, cell no.2 slowly drops back down to 3.7v and the BMS lets the charger come on again for a few seconds, over and over..

DISCHARGING :
BMS shut down the pack at 44v from cell No.3 at lvc.

After resting for a few minutes, 15 cells bounced back to 3.2v.except No.3 that sits at 2.7v

Pack slightly warm, room temp 22 celcius, pack 33 celcius .

Thanks for the comments guys !!

I've been itching to get my hands on these Headways for a while now, just never enough hours available in a day..

The RC bike will maintain 35mph + no problem, just sucks a battery pack dry too fast with current gearing, but i'm working on that.

For the price, this is so far very good, there are a few critical things missing imo, for example :

- Documentation !!! Safety warnings, Charging Instructions, spec sheet, BMS information ... ( should be printed and included inside the box imo )

- Terminal screws for the posts, i had to scavenge from the garage, I have all sorts of nuts and bolts but i'm sure not everyone is as much of a pack rat as i am..

- Insides of the box needs improvements, filler pieces, cable support and protection for the ballance leads ( some ballance leads are wedged between the box and the plastic studs on the lego blocks, this would lead to ballance wire failures early in life imo ) . BMS needs to be protected and supported better.

this box is perfect for a backpack, too wide to fit between pedal cranks so won't fit in bicycle trangle, could hang 2 packs saddle bag style for 20ah !..

More to come ! 1st ebike ride will be tonight on the e-BMX, pack charging now, will be done in 2 hours !

Back