Y-pedal's two stage RC drive..........

recumpence said:
That is great news!

So, if you got the reduction down even further, you would get much better efficiency. Or you could run a larger motor with lower KV. You had just been running that motor way beyond its efficiency range before.

Anyway, it is looking very nice, ineed! :)

Matt

Thx !

Yes, the gearing is still way too high, i went for a 36v ride tonight ( led light attached to my helmet, pitch dark out there at 6pm !! ) used up 5ah from my 40ah pack and even at 36v i can't use the whole range available by the Nuvinci.. battery attached to the bike and not on my back makes for a much more comfortable ride !!!! :D

I have the 200amp shunt installed, CA calibrated for it ( Thanks Oatnet !! ) .

Need to spring load the tensioner on 2nd stage #25 chain.. that's this weekend's project.

At 48v on a stiff voltage lipo pack i will need to get the gearing way way way down, this thing is going to be a rocket once i get it all sorted proper...... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Next step, 60t to replace the 45t on the 2nd stage.

Ypedal said:
I have the 200amp shunt installed, CA calibrated for it ( Thanks Oatnet !! ) .

Glad that helped!

-JD

Today went good !

I sold my e-BMX last night so i'm now using the RC bike as my daily driver. the 36v 40ah pack is just the ticket as it gets me to work and back home on 12ah worth, that's good for these old packs. running on 34~36 v under load, not as zippy as the PSI at 44v but gets the job done for now.

The drive is settling in, chain has worn it's way clear of the frame !! :twisted: nice slice of aluminum now gone near the bottom bracket but i'm not worried about it, plenty of meat left.

I find that running at aprox 75% throttle and adjusting the Nuvinci to keep myself in the 30 to 50 amp range works best, full throttle just burns up more amps needlessly.

One hell of an attention getter tho, like wow.. everywhere i go i'm stopped and interrogated about the bike, i've repeated myself so many times i now have a dialogue memorized lol..

On my way home, went thru the local nature park to test the drive on a paved ramp, as i get to the bottom of the hill ( aprox 50ft of very steep stuff ) i have to try and quantify this but lets just say most kids on bicyles stand on the pedals and make it up with a running start but 50% of those i've watched go up the hill get half way up and get off the bike to walk the rest of the way ( the type that have not grasped the concept of shifting gears before hitting the hill. )

Anyways.. i get to the bottom and on my left i spot a dozen kids on a school outing who by now have quit listening to the teacher and are staring at me with funny grins on their faces.. so of course i really don't want to snap a chain or stall up the hill.. :eek: so i roll up slowly to the hill and turn on the power.. zzzzzZZZZZZZzzZZZZZZ up i go in lowest possible gear range and 70 amps all the way to the top! phew !

On the BMX i could have gone up and down that hill on a wheelie and barely get a 2nd look.. on this bike it's complete oposite.

good times..

Needs Lipo.. i'm so itching to jump onboard.. must resist..*puts visa back in wallet

Oh wow.... i just got back from my first RC ride of 2010 !!! :D

Before heading out however, i took the time to fab a spring loaded chain tensioner for the 2nd stage, totally worth the effort, removed that anoying vibration i was getting before.. smoooooth now !

And it's that time , LiPO baby !!!! I should be getting a pocket full of cash from the sale of a bike i built last week and it's going towards some 6S 5000mah packs and chargers/celllogs/etc.... :twisted:

50amps to maintain 50km/hr is that a lil power hungry? I'm guessing with the nuvinci and the double stage reduction its a far bit less efficient compared to a single stage setup though... Its hard to resist twisting the throttle isn't it hehe i do that
the arms stretch the hub cracks and things get fast real quick hehe...Good to hear your riding the bike anywayz, what about the A2B? Whenz that getting worked over? IMO perfect frame to fit a rc setup! oober room before the back wheel to place the drive unit.

KiM

Hi KiM,
AussieJester said:
50amps to maintain 50km/hr is that a lil power hungry? I'm guessing with the nuvinci and the double stage reduction its a far bit less efficient compared to a single stage setup though...
KiM
I'm pretty sure Matt said the main cause is insufficient reduction.

The drive system as it is right now is holding up to my standards, the next step is to feed it some lipo at max voltage, then i'll be gearing it down some more.. in lowest gear it wants to pop wheelies unless you lean forward but if i gear up any at all off the line the smallest pulley at the motor shaft will skip even tho the belt is on very tight..... so the motor has the ooomph but the gearing is not ideal.

I prefer compensating for efficiency by adding capacity on the battery side, vs having a fragile drive system for peak efficiency..

What you really need is a 3220 that will run in your wattage range more efficiently. But, hey, if the little 3210 is not burning up with that power, keep running it!

Matt

Oh she gets toasty !!!... it's impressive how much power you can get out of such a small motor really. I think with a big fat heat sink ( the 2 stage aluminum block itself sucks out heat BIG TIME .. i thought my belt was getting hot but it's the motor heating up the drive and getting the belt hot ! lol.. ) i still have to play with the castle software, may try retarding timing next for fun.

Gotta start somewhere, my first hub motor was a used wilderness energy front kit with 7ah SLA !!... now that totally sucked but a pile of changes later i get a 100v 100 amp chopper that just makes anyone that sits on it smile after 10 seconds on the throttle.. lol..

The RC version of my dream ebike will come in the form of a KMX trike with multiple motors, a quad 3210 maybe ? would sound freakin great...! :twisted:

Bottom line, I can only do as much as the budget allows. So with that in mind the next thing is lipo .. then i'll get back into the drive adjustments ! Unfortunately the RC bike is not the only project on the go.. gulp..

I don't know anything about astros but i would think if its geared correctly it shouldn't be getting hot enough to need heatsinks? Matt.S? i can cain the utter crap out of my HXT 130 amp every start pull 60-80amp continuous up hills and it never gets hot enough to not hold your hand on the can indefinitely esc never gets even slightly warm AND thats with my wheelchair in tow! as i said though I know nothing about astros this might be normal? if that was my setup i would be seriously questioning the gearing before anything else YPedal Man, throwing more batteries at it isnt really a great solution just a 'band aid' fix, sprockets don't cost as much as batteries and a new motor when this one gets toasted .....jm2c though....long as your happyz with it. :p

KiM

Alrighty. so i just got back from a short ride.

Before i left, i plugged in the castle USB programmer and changed the motor advance setting from Medium to Low, no noticable change in performance but it seems like the rpm/amp draw settles more quickly and the motor was not as hot as it usually is ( considering it's 0 celcius out there right now ). More testing to do in this regard but something i have been wanting to do for a while now.

About the battery thing, the PSI cells are up to the job but are being pushed too hard with this setup, 10C gets these poor cells too hot for comfort in my backpack.

Regardless of gearing this bike needs a proper diet of Lipo and 20ah worth of them for the range i want from the bike. Once i get the batteries onto the frame and off my back, i can go back and fine tune the gearing some more.. it's in the ballpark now and good enough to use as is for a while.

Not sure if you have any left matt, but those heat sinks you had machined a while back, any of them available ?

Nope. I can make more, though.

I have never seen a hot Astro that was run in its efficiency range. You really need a 3220. :)

I am serious. A 3220 will run in its efficiency range with your use. You will have much more power too. :mrgreen:

Matt

Ypedal said:
The RC version of my dream ebike will come in the form of a KMX trike with multiple motors, a quad 3210 maybe ? would sound freakin great...! :twisted:

Bottom line, I can only do as much as the budget allows. So with that in mind the next thing is lipo .. then i'll get back into the drive adjustments ! Unfortunately the RC bike is not the only project on the go.. gulp..

A recent idea of mine is to use 3 motors with pinion gears on the shafts placed 90 degrees apart with respect to the inside of a ring gear. The teeth would mesh much more gradually (and smoothly) because the arcs of all the teeth are in the same direction. The output gear takes up the last 90 degree position.

I have considered using three motors with a double sided belt on my race-link setup. Have the belt serpentine around the jackshaft and motor pulleys something like this high tech computer rendering. :) I started to look at the gate belts to see if they would work, but it was just too much money for all the motors and controllers for me.Untitled.jpg -David

Hi Y,
Ypedal said:
How about 2 of these these (or maybe 1) 15kw RC outrunners Hal and Marko are working on?

Sensored, water cooling (optional), 5.2kg per motor, priced at about $300 each, designed to be connected in multi-motor configurations:
Graphic1.jpg

Were do I sign up?

Hi,
Arlo1 said:
Where do I sign up?

The spec's of the original motor are on the first post in the thread.
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16728

The description of the final motor modified according to Hal's spec's starts here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16728&start=105#p254218
HEY GUYS , ON APRIL 19 WE WILL HAVE ALL NEW MOTORS THAT HAL REDESIGNED : -HALL SENSORED , LIQUID COOLED (USE IT WITH OR WITHOUT IT ) . AND JUST TO TELL YA , HAL ALREADY MADE MOUNTS FOR CONNECTING 2 , 3 ,4 ,5 ... MOTORS TOGETHER :) AND A FEW MINOR CHANGES :)

Back