Locked Library For Super-Useful Posts.

Should We Build A Locked Library For Super-Useful Posts?

• yes

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • no

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

xyster

10 MW
Bob McRee's simple and definitive post regarding the use of capacitors on ebikes
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2200
(8th post down)
got me thinking: we should build a locked library of posts such as this, perhaps placed in their own separate section, that are selected by either of the admins on their own, or on request by a member.
A broad library of short, super-useful single posts wouldn't require writing and updating a separate FAQ, only an admin copying the entire post to the new section; wouldn't clutter the other sections with stickies; and could be cited in replies when common questions arise instead of inefficient keyword searches through the ever-increasing volume of material here.

What do you think?

xyster said:
Bob McRee's simple and definitive post regarding the use of capacitors on ebikes
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2200
(8th post down)
got me thinking: we should build a locked library of posts such as this, perhaps placed in their own separate section, that are selected by either of the admins on their own, or on request by a member.
A broad library of short, super-useful single posts wouldn't require writing and updating a separate FAQ, only an admin copying the entire post to the new section; wouldn't clutter the other sections with stickies; and could be cited in replies when common questions arise instead of inefficient keyword searches through the ever-increasing volume of material here.

What do you think?

Hehe, you are right on track actually, Fetcher and I have been working on such a site, just haven't told anyone about it yet since it wasn't polished yet :wink:

:D

Of course, IMO this is the purpose of forums: freely expanding & evolving human knowledge. The easier it is to access that knowledge the better it will be for all. One forum I used to frequent had their best of threads locked up in what they called a "vault". I think threads should be included as well as posts.

The 'EV Basics' section is locked for the same reason. Unfortunately, I haven't had time to populate it much.

It's on the 'to-do' list.

Hopefully this week, I'll have something up for everyone to take a look at. Also, anyone that has a little free time, I'll need some help testing a few things such as users being to post articles, etc. It's not going to be as open as things are here where anyone can post just about anything. Instead it will focus in so that anyone new will have a place to reference instead of having the same question answered over and over.

Just send me a PM from here if you are interested.

Yeah, but that can clutter up boards. A separate sub-forum would be best. Posts should be editable by their authors, though, in case something small but important was left out or something.

Link said:
Yeah, but that can clutter up boards. A separate sub-forum would be best. Posts should be editable by their authors, though, in case something small but important was left out or something.

Hmmmm.... :!:

I noticed that the top of the ebike technical page was getting quite cluttered. I think a solution to that without "removing it" too much(by creating a sub-forum), would be to ... uhh... create a summary that contains the "essence" of each thread which itself is expandable to show each individual thread as it is in its current state.

But.. yeah, that'd require some javascript(or better). Who wants to program that? Actually... can this forum software actually be edited at all at the programming level?

Back