Another DH Project

motomoto

1 kW
This is what I started with.

original sketch.jpg
This is what I have so far.

IMG_1147.jpg

It's got a 10 turn 3210 with 44v 5 ah. At 6,000 rpm it will turn the crank at 90 rpm and use
all the gears in the back.

A 14 tooth freewheel drives a 42 tooth at the crank. A 32 tooth to the back. The crank sprockets are
both on a freewheel, so its electric or pedaling or both.

Good to see some high-end drive work go onto a high end bike worthy of the project. V10 yeah??

Keen to see how this one progresses.

*subscribed ... looks killa!
I'm with Kepler more pics pleeeease..

KiM

Some of the pics are before I decided it looked heavy. It wouldn't be
sealed like I originally intended, but it doesn't look heavy now.

Attachments

• IMG_1118.jpg
    IMG_1118.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 26,621
  • IMG_1119.jpg
    IMG_1119.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 26,621
  • IMG_1121.jpg
    IMG_1121.jpg
    209.8 KB · Views: 26,621
Really looks a great work!!!!!! :shock:

Not really far from My project!!!! for sure I will ask you for suggestion....

Only one thing....it's not too close to the ground? As also my project is based on a DHbike I want to keep the motor transmition block protected ....

Jules

THAT is EXACTLY what I am after RIGHT THERE! How does it do off road? Are the gears in the rear taking the abuse well? What is the top speed? I am doing a double 5:1 reduction with two small boxes mated together very soon with a #25 chain from the motor to the first box, with a 8500 peak RPM, I plan on about a 160 RPM max crank speed with about a 2:1 ratio from the box to the crank and then running through the rear gear set. Now that you have yours up and running, do you think that will work? I am looking for somewhere around 38 to 40MPH in high gear and then about 10 in low. I thought about having three sprockets up front so I can have a high range and low range set of gears, basically a street set and a dirt set. I would likely just manually shift it up front, I think a derailleur would just get in the way...

ANYWAY, BEAUTIFUL job and can we get VIDEO TOO!!!???? I Have to see it in action!

Wow, just WOW! :shock: That's some very, very, very awesome CNC work! Beautiful!! That big #25 sprocket is custom made, isn't it?

Would also like to see a vid of this awesome looking bike :)

Much nicer looking than the EGO Kit... :D

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=23244

Agreed! AND a HELL of a lot more powerful! I didn't realize it was not completed yet, let us know when you get some more progress!!

Only one thing....it's not too close to the ground? As also my project is based on a DHbike I want to keep the motor transmition block protected ....

Yes, it is close, but not any closer than the e-thirteen sprocket guard.

That big #25 sprocket is custom made, isn't it?

Yeah, it is custom made. I had another style on the computer at first. Then I looked at the brake rotor on the bike and how
cool they looked, so I copied that style and added the holes. I like the look. I have been trying to use the same style with the
double crank sprocket I am designing now, but it's not going so good. Function comes first for me.

I kind of see the project as half done. I still have a lot more parts to make. I am working on the crank parts now, and should
have the drive train complete in a week.

motomoto said:
I kind of see the project as half done. I still have a lot more parts to make. I am working on the crank parts now, and should
have the drive train complete in a week.

Look forward to seeing the rest of the drivetrain components, the quality thus far is simply superb. Do
you plan on mass production or is this simply a one off for your personal use? If the later, would you
consider making the g-code public so other member's could have the unit made...?

KiM

Glad to see the project in a thread, Moto!

Guys, this is a gent whom I have been emailing back and forth. I have somewhat pushed him to start this thread. I sure am glad I did!

This is, indeed, one of the finest builds I have ever seen! It is, by far, the fanciest machine work I have ever seen applied to an E-bike.

I think Moto is not on-line a whole lot. I will try to answer any questions I can.

I can tell you the drive is based on my two stage reduction (the belt and sprocket styles and sizes) and the clutch is based on the clutch I have been using. I believe he will be running a HV160.

Moto has not posted any pics until recently because he has been spending all his time machining. These kind of guys are needed on this forum. I hope he continues to post his artwork.

Matt

I will go into production if it becomes something I think is worth producing. My dream is to have a motorcycle factory.
This economy and Chinese manufacturing make that darn near impossible. I have steered away from electric for a long
time because I didn't like the idea of 'racing' batteries, but things have changed. After reading Matt Shumacker's high
power R/C motor and drive unit production thread I realized that the technology is here to make some fun electric
stuff. I think an electric motocross bike could be built that could beat the state of the art gas powered bike ( for about
ten minutes ), but that is a start. This will be a future project of mine if someone else doesn't beat me to it.

Let me finish building and testing this power unit, and I will probably go into production with parts or
the whole thing. I have to weigh out the liability issues with selling something like this. I hate the idea
of being sued, but that has never stopped me. I used to do something equally stupid. http://www.reegmx.com

recumpence said:
These kind of guys are needed on this forum. I hope he continues to post his artwork.

+1 couldn't agree more, experienced chaps designing and refining new and exciting setups that will continue to push the envelope as they help advance this great hobby.

motomoto said:
I think an electric motocross bike could be built that could beat the state of the art gas powered bike ( for about
ten minutes ), but that is a start. This will be a future project of mine if someone else doesn't beat me to it

CHeckout this thread that was poste on the weekend motomot...i think you will find it most interesting.

I agree with you, 10 minutes with nano techs on a geared e-moto against a 125cc might have a chance on
a flat track thats not too boggy...i think Supermotard is the genre e-motos have the best chance ATM
of mixing it in short races with the ICE bikes and winning...till battery tech improves. Your right though, nobodies
done it yet, but looking at the lil clips of that above e-motoX bike, it appears the gap is closing.

Keep up the great work mate, truly inspirational.

KiM

Yes, get to it then! LOL! :mrgreen: we want to see it go!

Thanks for the pics. Do you have your own CNC? I would love to see that setup as well. Makes me want to build a bigger CNC since that it what currently limits the size of my projects. You must have a fairly large work envelope for such a big part. I've been thinking a larger gantry type CNC should be my next focus.

I think he owns a professional cbc judging by his dirtbike site

Thanks for the video AussieJester. That bike was ripping it up pretty good. The step to beating a modern 450
would be a big one. Maybe I will pick on a 250 for starters. Maybe someday.

Yes, I have a small machine shop with 3 CNCs, two vertical machining centers and a small lathe along with
the usual support equipment. I used to have a larger shop with 12 employees but I am down to myself now.
I like it better because I don't have to baby sit. I was a lousy manager anyway. I am a pretty decent machinist
and like to design stuff for things with two wheels. Sometimes I think I am the luckiest guy in the world because
I still have my machines and I can make anything I want.

Well, I better finish my crank sprocket program so I can start machining it tomorrow.

Sounds like a nice shop you have there. I know what you mean when you can make your own products. I've built my own CNC machines. One out of a small mill, one out of wood for RC stuff and one from an old pcb maker for small precision work. I'm working on a portable one, and still have a bench mill I want to convert. None of them ever seem big enough. So I'm thinking a big gantry style CNC would be more useful.

I didn't get a chance to get anything done at the shop, but I did some Solidworks at home
on the sprockets.

32cs.jpg
42csb.jpg
42csf.jpg

Back