How much to lace a pair of rims?

bongoboy

1 mW
I had a Mac/Puma motor and a Strumey-Archer front drum hub laced to 24" rims using black spokes at my LBS. I supplied the motor, drum brake hub and rims so it's just supply spokes and nipples and labor. The LBS just called and told me they are ready and the price is $400.

Would this be considered expensive?

I don't know how much it's worth where you live, but here it would be half that price.

MadRhino, where did you get your avatar pic from and where is the full size image? :mrgreen:

glowwormbicycles said:
For comparison, our prices are pretty reasonable within the Aussie bike industry:

$55 labour per wheel to build
$1.50-$2 per 14ga stainless DT spoke & nipple. Black is often 15-20% more expensive per spoke.

Yes I ballparked it to $300 max going on similar figures. I suppose I was a little floored considering the lacing and spokes cost more that the hub motor, drum brake and rims combined.

jonescg said:
MadRhino, where did you get your avatar pic from and where is the full size image? :mrgreen:
freeride_1--c1600xc1200.jpg

MadRhino said:
where did you get your avatar pic from and where is the full size image? :mrgreen:
[/quote]

He photochopped it :mrgreen: I have that same girl standing next to one of my ebikes also haha

KiM

Hey Kim - you don't happen to have her in any of those "water bottle" videos you mentioned on the "Sexy girl on Ebike" thread do you? Would love to see her draining a "water bottle" (or two.... or four....)....

Philistine said:
Hey Kim - you don't happen to have her in any of those "water bottle" videos you mentioned on the "Sexy girl on Ebike" thread do you? Would love to see her draining a "water bottle" (or two.... or four....)....

HAHA nagh i had a look for the one i photochopped it is upped on ES it may have been lost when the forum was upgraded, i can;t seem to locate the original image, IIRC shes standing next to a chopper...I'll have a looksee again if i find her ill up it for you ;)

KiM

EDiT: Soz mate, no original but i managed to find the photochop with same chickie babe along with a few others i did awhile ago for a thread on here... Here's a Link to pics ;)

Thanks to climbing steep hills, high torque motor and my oversized body, my R Martin broke two spokes. Took the tire to the local bike shop, they hand laced and trued all spokes and cost only 77 dollars. No broken spokes since and the tire is guaranteed for a year! Good deal. But, might have been more for a hub powered wheel. My R Martin is bracket powered, so standard bicycle tires.

http://www.electricbikedistributor.com/R10_electric_bicycle.html
http://www.onionriver.com/gear-products/bicycles/

$400 is more than I'd be willing to pay. But if they had to custom cut and thread each spoke to your funny length, it could have taken enough time to cost that.

I recently passed on $100 per wheel, to respoke some trike rear wheels. That was just spoking em, with me doing the truing! Screw that. The first wheel took a long time to get right, but the second one only took about an hour.

Consider reading up and lacing yourself. Time consuming but not too difficult. You can always have them true it after you lace it up for them.. that seems really expensive imo.

A complete ebike kit (minus battery) can be bought for less than $200. That includes a hub motor, spokes and nipples, rim, controller, throttle and the lacing/truing labor.

So if it costs $200 for the spokes, nipples and the lacing/truing labor, then the hub motor, the rim, the controller and the throttle are free. Sounds like a good deal!

DIY. There are so many good resources on the web covering this. As long as you get the right spoke lengths, it's almost impossible to screw it up.

Back