Specialized Enduro Comp / BMC Build Thread

Very nice build :!: Can you recommend a source for the 36 hole wide rear rim :mrgreen:

dbaker said:
Very nice build :!: Can you recommend a source for the 36 hole wide rear rim :mrgreen:

I use the Alex DX-32 rim - available everywhere, JohnRobHolmes or Ilia can hook you up.

-JD

Hi Oatnet,

Nice bike!

Where did you find those fork clamps you used to mount your battery box?

Thanks!

lcyclist said:
Hi Oatnet,

Nice bike!

Where did you find those fork clamps you used to mount your battery box?

Thanks!

1.25" "weight clamps" or "accessory clamps" fit the 32mm stanchions. They are used to mount lead weights etc on tube-frame race cars. These have .25" holes for the mounting bolt, the ones with .50" holes are too big and heavy for my tastes. The vendor for these particular ones is Wehr's Machine Racing, here is the auction where you can buy them:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200344689577

-JD

nicobie said:
Thanks for the link. Exactly what I was looking for.

You'll love them, they are nice and light. :D

-JD

It looks like all of the photos are gone. :(

Ambrose

+1 curious to see the inside of box if the pics can be reposted!

Hopefully we have seen the end of the disappearing images... I'm gonna keep the original post intact, to see if they ever come back. Here is a repost of the same pics, with the same commentary attached (assuming I got the comments back in the right order!). :D

-JD

IMG_3008_640.JPG

View attachment 10

View attachment 9

IMG_3015_640.JPG

IMG_3016_640.JPG

IMG_3017_640.JPG

IMG_3018_640.JPG

IMG_3020_640.JPG

IMG_3022_640.JPG

View attachment 2

IMG_5181_charger.jpg

IMG_5239 Charging port.jpg

Thanks JD.

Ambrose

Nice FS ebike! I wanted see your opinion on Cloud9 seat and I was thinking get 2 of these Cloud9 seat from amazon with free shipping. Is it comforts sitting long trip?

Let me know :)

chroot said:
Nice FS ebike! I wanted see your opinion on Cloud9 seat and I was thinking get 2 of these Cloud9 seat from amazon with free shipping. Is it comforts sitting long trip?

Let me know :)

Thanks chroot!

I am a big fan of cloud 9 seats, comfortable and durable, they are a standard item for me, and I highly recommend them. When I was planning a line of ebikes using those TF frames I sold here, I bought and tested a good 20 seats to see what suited me. Cloud 9 was the standout product from that test. Note that this is the super-wide comfort version, and not the cheapest brand, but if you've ever permanantly lost a road bike seat in your butt cleavage, this is what you want.

This same testing phase also got me hooked on Ergon grips, On-One 'Mary' handlebars, Dimension adjustable stems, Mirrycle's, and the Thudbuster seatpost. The combination took my rides from painful to comfortable, and I have used them on every build I have done since (except no tbuster on this FS bike). I still have a few seats left from my last order of (10) :lol: I also have a wide "exercise bike" Cloud 9 seat that rocks.

Around the same time, I picked up Maxxis Hookworms, Kenda 2.25mm downhill tubes, and Panaracer kevlar liners from ES 'OG' xyster (who I learned lots from, but he left here about the time cliques started to form). I have not had a flat in 4+ years and some 20k on eBikes.

Later on, I standardized on Alex DX-32 rims, they are a great match for the Maxxis Hookworm, the 38mm rim spreads the hooky into an ideal contact patch.

Way more detail than you asked for, I guess once I get started talking on products I believe in... :oops:

-JD

I went ahead ordered the cloud9 seat from amazon. Thanks for the review on the cloud9 seat.

I really like this bike!! Mounting the battery pack to the forks is a smart idea and that bike looks so clean! I hope that you don`t mind if I copy you on my Norco Shore build. I was going to use a backpack but I would much rather keep the Lipo further away from me if possible. :mrgreen:

Thanks Beav! :D

You will be pleased by the handling. It took me about a day to get used to the quicker steering, and then I was stunned, it was like I went from a Cessna to an F-15. LiPo or LiFe will get ya there! :lol: With the volume saved with lipo, you would have space up there to mount the controller too. I did that on mrs oatnets bike, just ran 8ga phase wires for the higher motor current.

It isnt all roses of course. It is less stable on a kickstand, I'm hoping the heavy motor in my upcoming build will offset the balance better. Of course, this bike doesnt have a kickstand mount anyhow. Nose weight makes wheelies more complicated, but the rest of the time it keeps the front suspension planted. I've taken 2' drops and was able to bring the nose up, kick off the rear suspension, and nail a two-point landing. Get your mass over the handlebars like you were riding a dirtbike, and it is real easy to kick the back wheel around.

-JD

An enduro comp exactly like mine has come upon feeBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220907107807&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123#ht_500wt_922

Oatnet,

I went a little bit further and decide to solder the frame. Its a big block coz its aluminium and like to overkill a little.
This is how its looking now (bad quality cel pics)

overkill1.jpg

overkill2.jpg

gensem said:
Oatnet,

I went a little bit further and decide to solder the frame. Its a big block coz its aluminium and like to overkill a little.
This is how its looking now (bad quality cel pics)

Nice job, that is going to work out well. I look forward to seeing the box mounted!

-JD

There's a bunch of these fsr type FS bikes on Austin CL, in the $300 range. I already got my sweet looking fsr and khs as the current ebike. Check my thread to see how I mounted my battery, it JUST fit. Otherwise I was going to do what oatnut die with the battery on the forks.

Doc's torque arms with two m5 and DP420 epoxy

04012012042.jpg

Controller tray

04012012040.jpg

I think I should start my own thread :)

Puttering around today I came across this 12 year old build, which had out of service since I stripped the giant battery box off the front during the pandemic. I finally took the time to add a wired front bag for my new smaller packs (3lb samsung 30q 14s2p), re-arrange all the wiring, fill the tires, and loosen up the brakes. It fired right up and is ready for duty. Build them right and they will last.

6494AC35-FE84-4D57-B302-37F023A28E06.jpeg81161FF6-46D5-46B4-8E1F-28B5D9F3E7B0.jpeg

Back