GT i-drive 2.0 Build

GCinDC said:
hmmm, this is coming up at a reasonable price...

no, no, what am i thinking...

ps. what are those dropouts? think they're strong enough for nasty business?

mate, do what im doing... make some custom enclosed dropouts that replace those ones on the bike!! then youll never have to worry about em!

GCinDC said:
yeah, probably another hubber before rc... those take years anyway, don't they? :lol:

but really, my headset is starting to wobble again, and the bike's getting beat up. what i want most is suspension travel. so i've been slobbering over this:
D_018%20SETVB9.jpg

i'm not really thinking clearly at this point. just a vague direction to upgrade... perhaps i know my motor's going to die soon? and the hs3540's are looking good... :lol:

out early today, courtesy of the earthquake. crowded on the street!
[youtube]WhTuShurFkw[/youtube]

8 inch travel, only $2300, 15 trial offer.............. :mrgreen:

42.4 lbs.......... :D

Greg, Try find 2003-2004 GIANT DH Comp frame like Doctorbass has and it has plenty roomy for the battery case on the frame. Here the Doctorbass's DH Comp ebike

*edited* Here another ES member- Keyne's DH Comp Build

dbaker said:
only $2300, 15 trial offer
yeah, but they've only got a SMALL left...

anyway, i was thinking i'd cut the top tube off somehow, and have professionally welded on a motorcycle style seat, batt box.... :twisted:

chroot said:
Greg, Try find 2003-2004 GIANT DH Comp frame
looks great too. i'll start searching for that also. might be hard having confidence in an older frame tho. :?
dbaker said:
What day & time do you plan to hit ROAM?
Thursday, Noon. Wherever they are at the time! They probably won't be in a hurry to check out of their hotel (after so much camping), and i'd bet money they'll drop down to the to the georgetown waterfront and cruise past jfk around 10ish... on their way to stop at lincoln, then probably picnic in shade by American History... if i were the tour guide... lol before heading to the capitol. maybe a good reason to get on twitter!

Updates:

- No sign of the velomobiles today. No tweets since last night. Was pouring at lunchtime and didn't see them on the mall between Capitol and (cracked) Monument.
- How is bike-riding in earthquakes, anyway? Rather dangerous, I'd imagine. Anyone know? Just curious, even though ours was a nice fire drill...
- My lipos are fine, all balanced. Was worried since one was out after trip and took forever to balance up, but it's been fine ever since.
- Too much commuting footage building up, gotta edit. I hate that!
- Recording podcast w/ guests Luke & Methods tomorrow night. :D

What jobs do they hold? I would love to know if they are in the electronics or ebike industry. Also, I know LFP goes around the world for his job... What does Methods do for a living?

Thanks, can't wait to hear the podcast!

Ambrose

Is it a "If I tell you, I have to kill you!" situation? :shock:

haha probably, I think we all just like to keep our day-jobs separate from our hobbies. I hope to have the podcast uploaded by Saturday morning.

Just got this:
View attachment 1
bit odd, i thought. classic moron youtube comment, right? then on a hunch, i searched google for "potomac flood zone" and sure enough, my vid comes up right under the Hurricaneheaded our way tomorrow...

unfortunately, the podcast didn't happen. we'll try again, but no cart before the horse next time...

so after the earthquake, we had a hurricane. the eye missed us, but the winds were enough to knock a handful old trees down. at 1:30AM last night, i woke to the popping sounds of a transformer on the ground across the street, brought down by the tree laying across the road.
View attachment 2

so i geared up to go for a cruise but found that my rear tire was flat, courtesy of another one of these:

which had no problem getting thru the liner, by the way:
View attachment 1

and by the time i had the tube patched up, the sun was out:
[youtube]XRa3vZqZZB0[/youtube]

notice at the end i was riding through an intersection when i sat down and the saddle snapped off.

nevermind what would have happened if i was going high speed.

unfortunately, no time to fix it today, so i'll get some calf exercise on the way in tomorrow. and probably some funny looks. just hope i don't forget the seat's gone...

yeah, we've got power still. neighbor's don't. we were lucky. we've got a monster tree in front of our house, but wind was blowing from the north, so across street. these 80 year old oaks have roots only on one side cause of the curb... they're all gonna go soon, just a matter of time.

was just looking for another bolt, but the tops are so particular. scavenged the (suspension) seatpost from an old schwinn seudeE. pokes down a mile! almost hits the rear shock! not sure i trust it much more, the inner post is pretty flimsy. i pushed the seat well forward so there isn't as much pressure on the back of the seat.

soooooo glad this didn't happen when Skippic was testing it out this morning, getting it up to 40mph on mass ave... :shock:

Oh damn, falling apart on your ebike? and irene hurricane sure damaged lot in your area. bummed hehe :lol:

GCinDC said:
so i geared up to go for a cruise but found that my rear tire was flat, courtesy of another one of these:
which had no problem getting thru the liner, by the way:
If that's a Slime brand liner, write to them about it, because they actually do honor their warranties. When a roofing nail made it thru one of mine, a few years back, they replaced both front and rear liners *and* the tubes, free (including shipping).

notice at the end i was riding through an intersection when i sat down and the saddle snapped off.
Yowch...A long while back, I had a saddle snap at it's rear plastics where the springs attach, whiel I was going thru an intersection in traffic...I ended up almost sitting on the rear tire and might've ended up on the pavement if the front end had not had full baskets of stuff. It was...disquieting, to say the least.

Wow, alot of storms you seem to get there in DC. That's the second big one in a year isn't it ?

Lucky "break" on the seat post, could have been worse. I had the same happen to me on my commuter bike, landing a small gutter jump. The nose of the seat flicked up and hit me in the balls as I landed but atleast I had all my weight on the pedals so the now exposed seat post didn't venture any further north :lol:

I hunted around for a replacement seat post bolt but couldn't find one and ended up replacing it with a high tensile steel bolt from the local hardware shop. A few months later and it seems to be holding fine.

Pretty scary when you have small children. That reminds me of a fluke Cat. 1 hurricane that came through our Virginia-Highlands neighborhood in Atlanta in 1995. Hundred year old oak trees started falling and slicing houses in half. Those things weigh a ton. The trees in our yard fail away from our house, but power was out for over a week and our street was blocked for a few days.

amberwolf said:
If that's a Slime brand liner, write to them about it, because they actually do honor their warranties.
Thanks, AW. I honestly can't remember if it's a Slime or not. I think I picked it up at the LBS and will go back to check what it was... Maybe I'll search my thread too in case I said something about it! :lol:

Hyena said:
Wow, alot of storms you seem to get there in DC. That's the second big one in a year isn't it ?
Can't remember. It wouldn't be a big deal if it weren't for these huge dying trees w/ roots on only one side... :? But having a hurricane the same week as an earthquake was notable.
JohnC said:
Pretty scary when you have small children.
Indeed. Even just dead branches way up there... :shock:
Hyena said:
The nose of the seat flicked up and hit me in the balls
Oh that's right - Prompting AJ's comment about the oddity considering the small target... :lol: Well, the same thing DID happen to me! But either not a direct hit or not enough force to hurt that much..

GCinDC said:
Thanks, AW. I honestly can't remember if it's a Slime or not. I think I picked it up at the LBS and will go back to check what it was... Maybe I'll search my thread too in case I said something about it! :lol:
I did a quick search of your posts for the word "liner", and this one comes up:
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=14691&p=431781&hilit=+liner#p431781
that says it is. ;)
While your'e in taht thread, you can add Seat Clamp failure to the list. :p

Back