GT i-drive 2.0 Build

cool video gc in dc.im always leaning left when your cam is mounted there :lol: .

My wife smoked a lycra dude up Mass Ave hill the other day. :lol: Dude was grinding up the hill when she sped by in a skirt and heels. He was like "WTF?? Ohhhh, I get it..." Here's her ride:
View attachment 4
I usually ask her a couple times a year how the bike is, cause she never mentions it (and she rides every day now - including thru stop signs/lights :lol: ), even when the gears aren't aligned and it makes a lot of noise... (She must drop it all the time! Last I checked, the handlebars were out of whack, derailleur all bent...)

But I was asking her how the battery was holding up, since she doesn't charge at work and the return commute is all uphill. Anyway, they're not much represented here on ES, but I thought I'd mention, that compared to my contraption, the BionX has been plug and play since I set it up in 2009 (though I did manage to get a warranty battery replacement in Nov 2010).

And FWIW, the Suede-E I got off CL whose seatpost I just scavenged. Was going to replace the LiMn pack w/ old ping cells but they don't fit in the case...
View attachment 3

And here's the comfort bike I used to commute w/ but now use just for hauling trailer-bikes on the weekend. It's got a 9C 6x10 w/ the same controller. I can just plop in my 20s2p lipo pack:
View attachment 2

And here's the nanny bike, a friction-drive zappy w/ a 5s lipo pack replacing the old SLA brick. no bms and not charge friendly so needs my tlc each ride. sucker draws 80A tho, so a bit dangerous...
View attachment 1

And here's my rolling tripod:

After patching the tube, the presta valve got bent, so I can't screw it in all the way, nor reattach the pump... I need to fix that so I can get the PSI back up over 50, cause I really feel the squishiness while cornering... nevermind jumps. I'll bring it up w/ shop where I got the (not so sure it's "slime") liner.

Oh, and I've got some wobble on the wheel too, perhaps the motor bearings or something. One too many jumps perhaps. But I've got to get the seatpost fixed too before more jumps. LBS measured the post at 31.6, but have no bolts.

I found this in 31.6mm: Avenir 200 Series Seat Post

GCinDC said:
here's a rush hour commute, from july, pre-vaca... i'd forgotten about it. edited in WI, but conn to slow to upload back then... audioswapped for the hell of it.
[youtube]gdHjteEUE8g[/youtube]
nice vids as always mate
been meaning to ask, whats your top speed on that rig?

sn0wchyld said:
whats your top speed on that rig?
thanks. with rear tire at a slovenly 20psi, and midcommute (after about 3Ah), i did 41mph on a flat (in a tuck), and that was pulling 27A, slippic. :wink: i looked cause i was the only one on the bridge.

down long hills with no traffic, i regularly get it up to 45mph, never higher.

stopped at lbs. unfortunately, my liners are mr. tuffy, and NOT guaranteed.

that shop (hto) scares me. i watched a tech build a bike... was putting stuff on backwards... anyway, the better tech told me he could bend my presta valve back straight and promptly broke it off, flattening the tire. i woudn't have minded if it didn't make me late to pick up the kids... :x

GCinDC said:
down long hills with no traffic, i regularly get it up to 45mph, never higher.
thought i'd get some gps on the commute. it's got my max speed at 52mph (highlighted text):
52mph_huh.jpg
can't be right.... but i haven't configured the CA in a while so I don't know.... hmm

anybody know if mytracks (andoid) is known to be off?

Why not get a simple bike speedometer? They're only about $20 and will show all your mileage, ave/max speed, time and so on. 99% accurate if you measure the tire circumfrence correctly. (about 205 cm for a 26x2.0).

In that July vid, I thought there was a cop after you as you rose up from the bridge/overpass in traffic.

GCinDC

Looks like you have been baaaaaad again. ;^) Christmas is coming soon and you might not be getting any ebike goodies if someone finds out... HaHaHa.
Thanks for another nice vid for to show kids how not to ride their bikes. I'm glad to see your alive and well and still pushing the envelope. Good to see you are not taking quite as many chances these days too. Have a good one.

Hey BioH,

Do you just drop in once every year or so to wave a finger at me? Like your post from Jan 2010:
biohazardman said:
Not responsible, not courteous and downright dangerous riding that is!
:lol: I'm just kidding. I do ride like a madman sometimes. Besides, you were the first ebike guy to help me out three years ago. So, Cheers! To "Immortality"!

Really, I do ride safer than that (July vid) most of the time now. But I also avoid rush hour most of the time too. Anyway... :mrgreen:

Meanwhile, Seat Post Sizes are a pain in the ass!

I took my broken one to the LBS near work. (The manager has an electric Big Dummy! Just like Jason, but with a stokemonkey motor... He wasn't there so I couldn't ask about it.)
View attachment 1

Anyway, the mechanic measure the old seatpost at 31.6mm. Didn't have any in stock. So I bought a new 31.6 online.

It didn't fit; was too big. :x

So I went to CityBikes in Bethesda (w/ whole the bike), and they measured the tube and sold me a used 30.8mm. Seemed a bit loose, but was snug enough w/ the clamp. But only today did I attach the beam rack and it's too loose! I'll put some spacer in there, but sheez, what a pain...

And I gotta pay return shipping on the 31.6... :?

dbaker said:
Which LBS is it?
FWIW, The scary LBS is Hudson Trail Outfitters. Right next door, but a different mechanic every month, and not experienced...

In other news, was a busy weekend. Drove down to TN to pick up my daughter (w/ grandma for the wk). Spent the night in a cool town, Staunton, VA and took Skyline drive home, which was nice except for all the bathroom breaks and the summons to appear in court for going 47mph in a 25... :roll:
IMG_20110903_122829-1.jpg
and the vid showing the outstanding weather...
[youtube]D3oYGopf-pA[/youtube]
So that's not ebike related at all, except perhaps to imagine how many tickets I had it I drove a car on a regular basis.... :roll:

Even less related to ebikes, but amusing and "gopro related" :lol: , I was with the family when we saw a big ugly snapping turtle devour a catfish in one bite! The wife totally hadn't believed me that it was a snapping turtle and what it could do, so when it snapped (and everyone screamed) I was in instant I-Told-You-So glory :lol: (I practically ran a turtle-farm while growing up...) Anyway, I ran to the car to get the gopro.... It missed while on film, but came after me! Was much bigger than it looked too...
[youtube]CZ-jrHdYTKY[/youtube]

That snapping turtle reminded me of another creature from a movie!

rous.bmp

ROUS

Snapping Turtle.jpg

GT i-Drive frames are on sale at Nashbar.com

http://goo.gl/VD3wG

Starting at $99 and going to $149. Seems like a pretty good deal. There are hundreds of other frames for sale as well on the site.

Ambrose

Bummer. Gotta look at the fine print!

This GT i-Drive comes in a medium for $99 in blue...

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_530677_-1___

It also has some space for batteries in the frame.

Ambrose

I try to keep a close eye on some cuz they usually have allot going on. Your vids are more than a little entertaining doubt I have missed many. You ride like the madman I would have some thirty or so years back but I be old now. ;^) Poking a little fun here and there is what it's all about. A crazy ride on the edge now and then is a treat I would expect so long as one feels comfortable with their abilities. When I get done with the son-in-law’s bike I am building something special you will like it. Have a good one and be safe.

GCinDC said:
Even less related to ebikes, but amusing and "gopro related" :lol: , I was with the family when we saw a big ugly snapping turtle devour a catfish in one bite! The wife totally hadn't believed me that it was a snapping turtle and what it could do, so when it snapped (and everyone screamed) I was in instant I-Told-You-So glory :lol: (I practically ran a turtle-farm while growing up...) Anyway, I ran to the car to get the gopro.... It missed while on film, but came after me! Was much bigger than it looked too...

They call them Loggerheads down here. I was working in a gas turbine plant in Arkansas a couple of weeks ago, and someone brought one of those into the control room in a cardboard box. It was huge...like a foot long. They let it out on the floor, put a broom down in front of it...and it snapped the broomstick in half! I about sharted.

some tasty frames... my clicking finger is pretty itchy. imagine i'd need quite a few extra bells and whistles to rig this frame up:
YF-IT1-NCL-SIDE.jpg

Today's commute was fun. Already late, went to garage to find a flat, again. Quick math and made most sense just to fix it. There was a pinhole on the outer seam! Brand new tube (to replace broken presta valve one). Patched it. Reattached wheel. Noticed that the derailleur-side nut was getting stripped. Found a better one to use, but the axle threads can't last forever... Pumped it up only to 40 psi since it didn't cure long, before putting on full wet gear and riding to work in the POURING rain. But the road was a parking lot, so I didn't care!

**APPROVED** 8)

D

Back