anyone used the 'current throttle' option for CA's?

sn0wchyld

100 kW
I was reading through the manual for the ca and found that its able to override your throttle imputs so that you have a more 'petrol' like throttle, ie 25% throttle ~= 25% torque. has anyone tried this and how well does it work? seems like a easy way to manage your battery usage too...

chrs
sc

i just discovered it lol. im going to soon

sn0wchyld said:
I was reading through the manual for the ca and found that its able to override your throttle imputs so that you have a more 'petrol' like throttle, ie 25% throttle ~= 25% torque. has anyone tried this and how well does it work? seems like a easy way to manage your battery usage too...

I have been using Justins new rc CA which uses a current based throttle, I find it brilliant on my 2 speed rc motored cruiser

[youtube]wYyq6XE2hdw[/youtube]

heres a video I shot couple of days ago demonstrating the current based throttle on the new rc cycle analyst from www.ebikes.ca ...

Hope this is of help

Arlo1 said:

I can't believe this is the first I'm hearing of this. I've been wanting a current throttle like forever. I hope it's an option even for older CAs.

John in CR said:
Arlo1 said:

I can't believe this is the first I'm hearing of this. I've been wanting a current throttle like forever. I hope it's an option even for older CAs.
Dude I think its in all of them with the big screen lol.!
EDIT: I just looked and maybe I have my manuals mixed up. I have three of these things now so it can happen.

So I just wired up the current throttle and man its awesome! It takes getting used to because I like being able to hold the throttle at a spot and go that speed. But I need to ride it for a day and decide how much I like it then.

WARNING: read the instructions properly. I missed the part where you set it for speed limit or amp limit and turned the power on on the bike and the first time I grabbed the ebrake and let go wham I was almost laying on my ass lucky it was just my brothers 12fet with a HS35 In a bmx I built for him. But yup works good takes about 1/2 hour to wire up and program! I tried to set the voltage out puts and inputs to get rid of most of the dead spot in the throttle but I think the throttle still needs the resistor mod.

http://ebike.ca/drainbrain/CA_Large_V223_Web.pdf

Arlo1 said:
So I just wired up the current throttle and man its awesome! It takes getting used to because I like being able to hold the throttle at a spot and go that speed. But I need to ride it for a day and decide how much I like it then.

WARNING: read the instructions properly. I missed the part where you set it for speed limit or amp limit and turned the power on on the bike and the first time I grabbed the ebrake and let go wham I was almost laying on my ass lucky it was just my brothers 12fet with a HS35 In a bmx I built for him. But yup works good takes about 1/2 hour to wire up and program! I tried to set the voltage out puts and inputs to get rid of most of the dead spot in the throttle but I think the throttle still needs the resistor mod.

must have been a great intro to a current throttle!! well ill defiantly be doing this when I get the chance. whats the responsiveness like? any delays? pulsing?

sn0wchyld said:
must have been a great intro to a current throttle!! well ill defiantly be doing this when I get the chance. whats the responsiveness like? any delays? pulsing?
Works smooth as butter and the delay is the same as with out it. China controllers have a delay its not that bad but you knotice it most when letting off and it keeps pulling for a fraction of a second (controller issue not from the CA!)

Arlo1 said:
sn0wchyld said:
Works smooth as butter and the delay is the same as with out it. China controllers have a delay its not that bad but you knotice it most when letting off and it keeps pulling for a fraction of a second (controller issue not from the CA!)

sounds groovy. now I just need a half hour to spare :x

Arlo1 said:

You can do this, i have heard others mention this and wondered why, check the rc cycle analyst thread Arlo1 theres alot of setting info in there that might help you get the settings sorted. Took me and Rodgah 10 hours of farting about with different settings...But you can definitively hold it at one speed without adjusting the throttle, well, i can :: shrigs:: the slow riding in the above video for example, I didn't move the throttle...

KiM

Arlo1 said:
John in CR said:
Arlo1 said:

Dude I think its in all of them with the big screen lol.!
EDIT: I just looked and maybe I have my manuals mixed up. I have three of these things now so it can happen.

I have 3 of the small screen versions, and use them for nothing more than a voltmeter, since it's a good battery gauge for Konions. I guess I have to go look at updates with fingers crossed, and finally calibrate the 2 on bikes. I'm ordering a new model immediately for SuperV, because regular throttle makes it more difficult and dangerous to ride than it should be. Current control at the throttle is going to be f'ing sweeeet!

All my small screen CA's have the current throttle capability, the oldest is a Ver 2.1 standalone, the newest is a Ver. 2.2 direct wired.
I think I will try it to see if it helps me conserve battery power and manage motor heat.

I went to do some tests today and something is wrong it seems to aim for 8 amps with the throttle off! I tried some different settings in the ca with no luck I will try to look at it later!

Arlo1 said:
I went to do some tests today and something is wrong it seems to aim for 8 amps with the throttle off! I tried some different settings in the ca with no luck I will try to look at it later!

damn that sucks mate! let us know if you figure it out!

sn0wchyld said:
Arlo1 said:

damn that sucks mate! let us know if you figure it out!
Its fixed I had the AUX threshold to low. Now I just have to play with the settings a bit more to get it smooth.

I have been using a current throttle set up with the 900w Cyclone kit on my Giant for over a year now, mine uses a hall throttle which has a lower voltage range than a pot throttle. I have found that by adjusting the max throttle voltage i can control the power delivery very well, if the max is set too high the throttle seems to have a lot of movement even after the drive has started that does little to increase the power, lowering the max voltage setting in the CA meens that quarter and half throttle positions are also lowered and quickens the throttle action. By playing with the voltage setting that the CA considers to be 0 throttle with very small incremental changes to get a smoother pick up and then bringing the max setting down to get the throttle action you require it can be tailored exactly to your liking.

But when you first do this set the bike on a stand with the drive wheel off the floor!!!!!!!!!! :!: :idea: :!:
If the CA is not programed correctly or is not recieving an input from the thottle it creates one of its own and the bike takes off!!!!!! :shock:
Also remeber to switch the AUX function on in the CA or when you first turn it on after wiring in your current throttle,,,,yes you guessed it, the bike takes off!!!!!!! :shock:

Put it on a stand or take the chain off!!!

damn i cant wait till i get some spare time to wire this up! its to hard atm to manage my power usage with the speed based throttle... though maby I just need to get used to it.

So I set the CA back to the settings it comes with and the torque throttle is very smooth. No more delay that I can tell and I have a very small surge at close to full speed at ~56amps with it set to 60amps limit! My 12fet is set to something just under 60 so I will raise the settings in the controller and trust the CA to limit the amps! But once I get this bike with the little controller and the HS35 fully tuned I will try it on my hi powered X5 :)

John in CR said:
Arlo1 said:
But once I get this bike with the little controller and the HS35 fully tuned I will try it on my hi powered X5 :)

I'm waiting patiently for that report.
Im not sure how well it will work on my BMX because my shunt is a section on the copper tube running from the negative trace It will be a good test for a Hella low shut value!

Arlo1 said:
John in CR said:
Arlo1 said:
But once I get this bike with the little controller and the HS35 fully tuned I will try it on my hi powered X5 :)

I'm waiting patiently for that report.
Im not sure how well it will work on my BMX because my shunt is a section on the copper tube running from the negative trace It will be a good test for a Hella low shut value!

The part concerning me is the "small surge" you got on the baby controller, since any "surge" that you're not directly controlling on the V8 BMX could have wild consequences.

The small surge can be tuned out im sure I just need to spend a little more time on it! I have about 45 minutes total into setting up the CA for the AMP throttle incl the wiring!

I figured out what it is... So as you gain speed the total system amps drop and when you get to a point where the CA is starting to see the amps drop below what it want to limit them to it lets the amps increase a bit then sees them to high and tries to limit them again causing an oscillation. This happens more on the flat and going down slight hills I am not sure what to do just yet but I have not much time into sorting it out.

Back