Blizzard of 2011:
Arived home from work at the usual 4:30 pm & let the dogs out. Snow staring to come down pretty good & wind was really picking up. 20 min later 1 of the 2 are barking at the door. Crazy blue eyed frisco is no where to be found. Figured she was running squirels out in the back woods. Getting to be dark out & the blizzard is ON....still no dog. This is the wifes favorite animal in the universe.....rating 10 points higher than myself (& maybe 2 points more than her own son!) I drive around the block yelling like an idiot calling the dog, snows has drifted 10" in the driveway....fruitless.
The wife had big plans to get to work Wed. morning so at 10:30pm I decide to take 1 more walk around the property to see if she's holed up somewhere. Bundled in my hunting clothes & armed with my flashlight & the other dog, its back into the storm....we walk to the back of my 5 acers & search the brush pile I place over deer carcases for the wild life to scavenge...no dog tracks out there...we search a coulpe out buildings she traps rabits in sometimes...nothing. Finaly walking back to the house & have 1 more stop to check...an old den dug By Dog #1 under a deck ajacent to the drive way. I am laying on my belly under the wodden steps with the flashlige yelling over the wind....damn dog showes her face over the cinderblock wall that is my garage foundation....I walk to the other side that is a full 4'deep drift & dig through to pull her out......only to hear a newborn puppy squeek....impossible? We didn't know the dog was pregnent. I crawl all the way in & find 2 pups 1 nearly frozen solid & not moving. scoop them up & race into the house....warm towles & 45 min later the icecycle pup finaly takes a gasp of air & starts breathing & crying.....we are stunned.
We put mama & the 2 pups in a makeshift den & call it a night at 2:00 am, and are greeted in the morning with 20" of freash snow, a drift accross the drive 5' deep (completely burying my metro) & a thid pup.....bonofide snow day. I get the driveway cleared around 5:00 pm & wait for the Snow Plows to open the road so we can get out.....it arives at 10:00 pm weds night.
Normaly we schedual a quick vet appointment & have the moma checked out & pups tails cliped & dew claws removed (aussies) but these are muts, & frisco is her old self chasing the snow blower & running the yard as well as being an attentive mother & dogs been having pups for eons. Every thing seemed fine.
Untill saturday afternoon. she goes outside & doesn't return in the normal 5 min's I step out to look & she's in the back yard & doesn't look at all well......fu__. Poor animal just suddenly looked very bad...we call our vet...closed. the emergency line refers us to the Surgical hospital 50 miles away.
We arive at 4:30. dog seems better than the begining of the trip. With pups in a box We get the bad news 1 lodged in the canal & 2 more behind it... fever & infection have set in....time for an emergency DNC & I am shocked that my wfe didn't even blink at the $2600.00 she was comminting too. (we keep seperate finances....2nd marige for us both)
The bad news is the Uterus has ruptured & is infecting the abdominal cavity......never a good thing & have recomended that we take her to MI STATE vetranary collage formore surgury, drains & the works....this time Melody says no to the potential additionall 5K in expences....she is a farmers daughter after all. Dog will stay over night at the hospital on IV antibiotics & her fate will be determined in the morning....till then I am bottle feeding 3 4-day old muts & trying to keep it together.
There is another Long story about this particualr Dog & it will devastate my wife & the entire family if we have to put her down..
This dog is 6 years old & has only come into heat 2 times we were aware of....we didn't bother to Spay cause we thought she was steril....(other dog is spayed) talk about feeling guilt.
forgive the long post...& thank you for the indulgence.