Justins presentation on Hub motors (88min YT vid)

Thanks for posting this Lock.

Although I was sitting right behind the camera, I'll have to watch the talk again to see if I missed any details.

Good job Justin!

Wow, LOTS of good information there, I love the water ingress-egress problems, never expected water to wick thru the seals at such a speed.

Nice video with some useful insight.

YouTube never fails to disappoint with its streaming speeds. Is it that common to not be able to stream YouTube videos, at any reasonable quality? It took over 3 hours to download the 1080P version, meaning it would take about 2 hours of buffering before it would play uninterrupted. It's not my network speeds, its just them.

I just grabbed the 1080 version in under 30min , but i used some you tube down loader.

http://www.youtubedownloadersite.com/

Also agree some good information in this video. Justin is pretty good on camera talking to an audience I enjoy watching him.

WOW.
Thanks Justin for all the intellectual effort and having a passion for the sport.
Thanks Lock for posting the video.

F'n wow.

...I love the geared to DD prototype idea !!!

At 1:14:45 near the end. It sounds like a retro-direct (Miles?), and it looks like he is showing a prototype running (9C sized) at 1:16:39. In a geared hub, the motor normally runs in reverse, and the "torque improving" gears convert that movement into forward motion in the process of transmitting the power from the motor to the rim.

When he reverses the motor, it locks up like a direct drive for higher RPMs at the same volts?

E-motorcycles desperately need this, and its the next major improvement that I think would benefit them the most...

spinningmagnets said:
...I love the geared to DD prototype idea !!!

At 1:14:45 near the end. It sounds like a retro-direct (Miles?), and it looks like he is showing a prototype running (9C sized) at 1:16:39. In a geared hub, the motor normally runs in reverse, and the "torque improving" gears convert that movement into forward motion in the process of transmitting the power from the motor to the rim.

When he reverses the motor, it locks up like a direct drive for higher RPMs at the same volts?

E-motorcycles desperately need this, and its the next major improvement that I think would benefit them the most...

I think that's where he says my name, "Mick." He was just mentioning that we started work on this years back, and yes, e-motos are very much in need of this, and I personally can't wait for that since I'm kinda out of the ebike scene now (health). Like Justin said, the system can be automated to switch drive modes on the fly automatically, or it can be done manually, but auto would be the obvious choice for a motorcycle. 2-3 times the thrust of a direct-drive motor off the line would be pretty sweet :)

To answer your question: when the rotor is in reverse, the hub is in low mode -- like a typical geared motor -- and the hub (outer casing / wheel) spins forward at a rate set by the planetary gears and voltage on the rotor, but when the rotor is reversed, into the forward direction (so, same as the hub), it goes into direct-drive mode, which means it spins the hub much faster (1:1) for the same voltage. It's somewhat hard to see on this particular video the reversal happening, but it does so literally faster than one can discern. One moment is running backwards, the next instant forwards, with seemingly no transition. It's pretty cool to watch up close.

retread said:
I think that's where he says my name, "Mick." He was just mentioning that we started work on this years back, and yes, e-motos are very much in need of this, and I personally can't wait for that since I'm kinda out of the ebike scene now (health). Like Justin said, the system can be automated to switch drive modes on the fly automatically, or it can be done manually, but auto would be the obvious choice for a motorcycle. 2-3 times the thrust of a direct-drive motor off the line would be pretty sweet :)

That's cool. I didn't know Justin had actually done some development on this when he commented before or I would have been more tactful... :)

After paying full attention to the water ingestion part.. I am thinking... maybe a chain drive build next would be best..

:shock:

80% of his motor problems from water. Wow, makes me so glad to be living in a desert. I'm in ebike heaven. :mrgreen:

Gonna have to watch that about 6 times to get it all straight. The part about cogging I found really interesting. I keep saying cogging increases with the speed you try to pedal an unpowered motor. Now I have proof of Justin saying it too. The hysterisis varies by rpm.

Really great that he spends the time to investigate this stuff, and try to design a better motor.

Very interesting and informative presentation.

I had the pleasure of meeting Justin in November when he was over in China. He was great and gave me lots of useful info, he stayed all day at my place and got a Taxi back to Ezee late in the evening. Justin is so free with his info, very generous indeed. Can't fault him, apart from he's maybe a bit too smart..... :)

Great presentation! The you tube title says it was given at VEVA. Anyone know what that is? Vancouver Electric Vehicle Association?

I have to say that has to be the best and educational videos I've seen Justin do, I also admire his dedication to the ebike revolution like some of the motors i seen on his videos ive never seen the insides of them and always have wanted too just to see whats out in the market of LEV's thanks to his videos i feel as though im getting a little closer to what kind of knowledge i want to have about electric motors in particular :D

Back