Oatnet's x5403/Norco A-line, and Front-Mount battery stuff

teklektik said:
gensem said:
Thats odd... I left a message on ebay this afternoon about the 1.64" dia size and asked for 15 pieces and still no go... He did not offered the sleeves, even tho 5$ would be 75$ just for sleeves...
We see how it goes and report back, just dont plan on doing it myself.
Difference was that I called them on the phone :) - they probably only check eBay messages from time to time and will get back to you sometime soon.

You might get a bit better price for 15 pcs (Wow! That's a lot!!) - I didn't ask for that many. They were going to make these up by turning down some thick-walled tubing, so I don't think there is an option to get a smaller number of long adapters made (one for each fork tube) but it might be worth looking into. Also - if you want 15, maybe they would consider jigging up the mill and just making 15 custom clamps in a short run. I can contact them tomorrow for you if you wish.

The size you need (1.64") is just a little off from 1 5/8" (1.625) but it's kind of an odd tubing size, so matching clamps are looking hard to come by.

I would be glad if you could teklektik, first because phone is much faster, second because english isnt my native language.
So we have 2.54 centimeters in an inch. Right size for 42mm dia of DNM volcano should be 1.653" if you think they could eventually run the milling machine that would be great.

Picture to make sure nothing is missing.
http://www.dnmshock.com/upload_files/fork/usd-180-1.png

Thanks

gensem said:
...because english isnt my native language.
Maybe not, but you do really well here on the forum talking to all us SOBs who only have one language :)

gensem said:
... if you could teklektik...
Picture to make sure nothing is missing.
Sure, I'd be happy to - we'll see what can be arranged with delivery times, etc. and I'll post back here with options.

Picture is Good - thanks. I don't quite understand '15' though. How are all these clamps going to be arranged?

BTW - for any kind of conversion (speed, distance, torque, etc) I use a nifty little free Windows program called Convert. I think I got this 10 or 15 years ago - recommended :D

teklektik said:
Maybe not, but you do really well here on the forum talking to all us SOBs who only have one language :)

Sure, I'd be happy to - we'll see what can be arranged with delivery times, etc. and I'll post back here with options.

Picture is Good - thanks. I don't quite understand '15' though. How are all these clamps going to be arranged?

BTW - for any kind of conversion (speed, distance, torque, etc) I use a nifty little free Windows program called Convert. I think I got this 10 or 15 years ago - recommended :D

Your native is the most used language, so I guess you guys are all ok... I said english isnt my main because portuguese is so much easier to me. :)

Fifteen is just a number, I tough about 4 in the small pelicam 1300 and maybe 6 in the bigger 2000 series plus one spare, but its not set on stone, its just a number to make the guy manufacture the clamps.

Btw, enough of this Hijacking... :roll:

gensem said:
Hello Oatnet,

Im trying to order clamps, like the ones you use
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200344869444&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

To test if they better compared to my glued box, but the deal is... I have a couple for DNM Volcano forks that I want to use, but the upper part of the stanchion is 42mm dia. (around 1.64" dia) but im not being able to find a standard clamp that fits.

Do you know about any other clamp manufacturer?

Hi Gensem!

Have you thought about buying a set of 1.75" clamps, and shimming the .11 difference by wrapping a slice of tire tube or something around the stanchion where it clamps? That was my plan for some larger diameter forks I was considering.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-WEHRS-M...189277&pt=Race_Car_Parts&vxp=mtr#ht_786wt_689

I was planning on using your epoxied-clamp method on my green A-line, I thought you made a great evolution with that technique and wanted to try it. Did you have problems with it?

-JD

That was my first thought but they don't come in 1 5/8" and was a little apprehensive about tightening down a 1.75" U-bolt/saddle that didn't have the proper curvature, particularly because of the large supported weight. Maybe just overly cautious...

oatnet said:
Hi Gensem!

Have you thought about buying a set of 1.75" clamps, and shimming the .11 difference by wrapping a slice of tire tube or something around the stanchion where it clamps? That was my plan for some larger diameter forks I was considering.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-WEHRS-M...189277&pt=Race_Car_Parts&vxp=mtr#ht_786wt_689

I was planning on using your epoxied-clamp method on my green A-line, I thought you made a great evolution with that technique and wanted to try it. Did you have problems with it?

-JD

Rubber might be an option but only if he doesnt do a custom run... I mean rubber ll dry with the time and it ll probably sag a little too.

There is nothing wrong with my glued pelicam when used with a single crown fork, aside from the fact that the aluminium base is almost broken (shoulda used a thicker one) I ll remake it in the coming week.
The issue is just the lack of turning angle when you have a double crown fork, also when I was testing, if I push the box even further making a longer adapter to have better fork clearance the lipo box ll shake when you do sharp turns and doing so make the ride dangerous.

I still think the epoxy is very good for single crown, when I do the support again I ll hook it closer to the frame and a little lower.
BTW how and I supposed to remove the DP420 I already have without using heat that could pontencially damage the frame head?

How many kilos do have on your new bigger box?

gensem said:
Rubber might be an option but only if he doesnt do a custom run... I mean rubber ll dry with the time and it ll probably sag a little too.

There is nothing wrong with my glued pelicam when used with a single crown fork, aside from the fact that the aluminium base is almost broken (shoulda used a thicker one) I ll remake it in the coming week.
The issue is just the lack of turning angle when you have a double crown fork, also when I was testing, if I push the box even further making a longer adapter to have better fork clearance the lipo box ll shake when you do sharp turns and doing so make the ride dangerous.

I still think the epoxy is very good for single crown, when I do the support again I ll hook it closer to the frame and a little lower.
BTW how and I supposed to remove the DP420 I already have without using heat that could pontencially damage the frame head?

How many kilos do have on your new bigger box?

On the previous page I have a photo of the finished pack weighing 23.2lbs, and about 4 lbs for the case and clamps, so about 27lbs.

I thought the DP40 was permanent?

Box shake would be a serious issue. Do you experience that in your current setup?

-JD

teklektik said:
gensem said:
... if you could teklektik...
Sure... I'll post back here with options.
Got in touch with AJ again today. Even at 15 pieces, they can't make a custom run of clamps but they can adjust the price a trifle for making up the adapter sleeves. The normal retail price for the clamp on their site is $12 and they will sell you a clamp + custom split reducer for $13 assuming the 15pc order.

If you want to order these you can do so by email contact@wehrsmachine.com or by ordering normally on-line at their site - in either case, just attach a note (like in PayPal) and make reference to "ATTN: AJ - electric bike - special request for custom reducer sleeves" at the quoted price ($13) and specify the exact inside diameter that you wish. If there are any questions they can ping you by email.

Hope this works out! :D

EDIT - It turns out they will be happy to make these reducers if anyone needs something similar. Contact them by phone and ask for A.J. They may quote a different price, etc, but they seem to be able to turn around the custom reducers in a day or so - outstanding!

>>> oatnet - apologies for this minor thread hijacking, but as a champion of front mounted batteries and these clamps, I didn't think you'd mind too much... :wink:

oatnet said:
I thought the DP40 was permanent?

Box shake would be a serious issue. Do you experience that in your current setup?
-JD

DP420 is permanent as long as you dont go over a given temperature, but I just cant heat the frame that much because its alum.
Its shaking a little now, but that because the arm is too long its a little beat up due to my friend having a couple accidents with the bike.
I ll think I ll just saw most of the arm and epoxy a new thicker tray that should do.

teklektik said:
>>> oatnet - apologies for this minor thread hijacking, but as a champion of front mounted batteries and these clamps, I didn't think you'd mind too much... :wink:

No worries tek - on topic as far as I am concerned. :D

I look forward to seeing your new tray Gensem. I'm still mulling over your findings trying to make it work on my other Aline. I guess on the stanchions, you have two hard mounts, but the glued piece is effectively just one.

-JD

A little wheel-build pron...

I got this group-buy 5404 wheelset from JRH yesterday, laced into 19" rims with Deestone 2.50" tires that he bought for my cromotor lace (which I ended up selling to BinLagen instead). The front is a 20mm through-axle for use on Boxxer forks. I only had time yesterday to take them out of the box for this pic and do a quick once-over, but they looked good. Unfortunately, this wheelset is slated for the Green Norco A-line frame, but I'm still working on the Red Frame, so this wheelset will go into storage for the moment.

JRH reports that my 5403, laced in 18" rims with 2.75" Gazelles, will be following shortly - and that wheelset will go on the red Norco frame built out in the previous pages of this thread. When that arrives, we will see progress again on the Red Norco!

-JD

Attachments

• 5404-19-2.50-IMG_7008.JPG
    5404-19-2.50-IMG_7008.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 5,070
oatnet said:
A little wheel-build pron...

I got this group-buy 5404 wheelset from JRH yesterday, laced into 19" rims with Deestone 2.50" tires that he bought for my cromotor lace (which I ended up selling to BinLagen instead). The front is a 20mm through-axle for use on Boxxer forks. I only had time yesterday to take them out of the box for this pic and do a quick once-over, but they looked good. Unfortunately, this wheelset is slated for the Green Norco A-line frame, but I'm still working on the Red Frame, so this wheelset will go into storage for the moment.

JRH reports that my 5403, laced in 18" rims with 2.75" Gazelles, will be following shortly - and that wheelset will go on the red Norco frame built out in the previous pages of this thread. When that arrives, we will see progress again on the Red Norco!

-JD
looking good!
whats the weight like? particularly with that front tire...

sn0wchyld said:
oatnet said:
looking good!
whats the weight like? particularly with that front tire...

Weighed them today, the front is 8.6 lbs, and the rear is 38.6 lbs. Reminds me of the old Tidalforce wheels, that IIRC were 35+ lbs. I took a longer look at the lacing job, really a work of art, thanks JRH!

-JD

adam333 said:
Did you run enough with it to have some statistic? Like max speed, and average Wh/km for a given distance? Oh, and what is the total bike weight ?

I've built many, many, many ebikes in the past 6 years, and I've found that for a given speed and distance, I pretty much use the same WH/M, so I expect about 40whm. That said I need to get the motor installed, before I can get statistics. :mrgreen: Plus I am changing out the brakes and the CA and missed a part on the headset and... well, I have a lot of work ahead of me still.

Anyhow time for pictures of the crystalyte 5403 wheel build that will go on this bike, thanks again to JRH for a great job. I think they were delivered Saturday, but last night was the first chance I had to open the box. These are 2.75" michelin gazelles on 18" rims, the complete front wheel weighed 11.4 lbs, and the complete rear was 40.5lbs. Heavy, but DOT certified and suited to the abuse I plan to dole out.

-JD

800_IMG_7271.JPG

800_IMG_7273.JPG

800_IMG_7274.JPG

800_IMG_7275.JPG

Awesome looking rear whhels man!!!.

Hey I have a 5404 here that I would really love to get into a smaller rim than the current 26incher that is on it.

Something similar to what you have done in your pics. Either an 18 or 19 inch rim, with a nice tire like that.

Trouble is here in Oz I don't know where to find a similar rim? I am happy to buy from oversea's but still can't seem to locate any 18 or 19 inch rims.

Once I have the rim here, I can probably get spokes made at the motor bike shop and think I can build it up myself.

SO, can anyone please direct me to where I could buy a similar 18 or 19 inch rim similar to the ones in your pictures "Oatnet"?
Or, is there anyway I could order the same rim and spokes from the guy you got it from? And then get it posted to Oz, and I will just build it up here myself. That would be the most awesome solution!.

Cheers everyone.

thanks for the good words, mattyciii!

SkyCaptain, these wheels were laced by JohnRobHolmes (JRH) of Holmes Hobbies, and he also supplied the rims. Here is a link to his for-sale thread, tell him you would like to buy rims like the ones he put on oatnet's:

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=35442

-JD

SkyCaptain said:
Awesome looking rear whhels man!!!.

Hey I have a 5404 here that I would really love to get into a smaller rim than the current 26incher that is on it.

Something similar to what you have done in your pics. Either an 18 or 19 inch rim, with a nice tire like that.

Trouble is here in Oz I don't know where to find a similar rim? I am happy to buy from oversea's but still can't seem to locate any 18 or 19 inch rims.

Once I have the rim here, I can probably get spokes made at the motor bike shop and think I can build it up myself.

SO, can anyone please direct me to where I could buy a similar 18 or 19 inch rim similar to the ones in your pictures "Oatnet"?
Or, is there anyway I could order the same rim and spokes from the guy you got it from? And then get it posted to Oz, and I will just build it up here myself. That would be the most awesome solution!.

Cheers everyone.
I have been looking for 18" rims lately and yesterday found this site on AliExpress.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/WM-motorcycle-aluminum-wheel-rim/114049_635082223.html
I'll be ordering this rim as soon as I receive a reply from the seller.

Being from china, don't be surprised if the rim doesn't lace up straight. I've yet to find a rim factory from china that makes round wheels. Taiwan is the place to go.

nicobie said:
Nice tire and wheel set!
Think you could measure the total dia. with the gazelle tires on?

Thanks!

Diameter measures to exactly 23.5" - which I guess makes sense 18"+2.75"+2.75".

The widest part of the tread is 2.9"/74mm, so It turns out I could have fit the 3.00" gazelles instead... although 3" is the only size that is sold as rear only, all the others are front/rear by reversing the tread direction.

JRH said:
I've yet to find a rim factory from china that makes round wheels. Taiwan is the place to go.
:lol:

Hey JRH! Thanks again for the wheel builds :D and I disagree - I think you are the place to get these rims from!

-JD

oatnet said:
Diameter measures to exactly 23.5" - which I guess makes sense 18"+2.75"+2.75".

The widest part of the tread is 2.9"/74mm, so It turns out I could have fit the 3.00" gazelles instead... although 3" is the only size that is sold as rear only, all the others are front/rear by reversing the tread direction.

-JD

Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Nick

Back