ES DIY Motor Challenge

We need to have a time constant to hold the torque for on video.

I think 5mins would be fair. Anyone have objections to 5mins showing the given torque output on a dyno?

Miles said:
I'd rather lower the torque target but ensure that we have something that could be described as a practical continuous rating. Just my thoughts, though.
Thays perfectly fine my man. I have 250amp 120vdc chargers next to my dyno. I was just thinking about Farfel trying to sustain say 16kW out of his battery for a period of time without running his battery out. But, if he is keeping the speed low, he could be making max torque at a low rpm amd only drawing a few kw, in which case 15mins would be fine for a couple kwhr pack.

liveforphysics said:
I was just thinking about Farfel trying to sustain say 16kW out of his battery for a period of time without running his battery out. But, if he is keeping the speed low, he could be making max torque at a low rpm amd only drawing a few kw, in which case 15mins would be fine for a couple kwhr pack.
Good point. What would the efficiency hit in the motor be, from running it at a low duty cycle, though? I guess that's all part of the "practical" :)

What do you think of the idea of increasing the target by 10% each time it's reached?

How about lowering the targets to these to get things under way?

Under 3kg.........3Nm/kg
3kg - 10kg.........4Nm/kg
10kg - 20kg........5Nm/kg

Is the weight differential fair?

I got another 8 nano packs I was planning on adding this winter that I can toss in on a heavy gauge extension cord. Hopefully should be enough for 15mins. The thermal rise time is gonna be slow, 24 pounds of this motor is in the stator. Plus when I replaced the sidecover, I didn't drill any cooling vents in it :oops: .we will see what It will do.

Hmmm, freezing ass cold garden hose water sprayed on the heatsink should do the trick. What is the cont phase amps on the baby controller Luke?

hah, maybe an equation for torque, like y=.2x+3 where Y it's max continuous torque and x is the weight in kg. When that's achieved, then you could do .3 then .4 etc...

That's quite a thought..... We'd need to research what the "weight factor" should be, though, unless it was realistic, it would be less fair than having separate categories...

Yeah, I like the 3nm starting point, that puts it in the ebike realistic realm, puts your motor at 3.16 nm, and mine at 5.72nm both realistic goals. I think flux gap area and radius may come into play, but then we end up in a formula nightmare. How about a formula where you plug in the stats of the motor and it spits out a score number, than all entries are ranked?

Farfle said:
Hmmm, freezing ass cold garden hose water sprayed on the heatsink should do the trick. What is the cont phase amps on the baby controller Luke?

If you can control temps on that controller (which isnt always easy), I believe you can do 240 or 260 phase amps continously. If you can control temps, it automagically dials back current to protect itself.

Farfle said:
Yeah, I like the 3nm starting point, that puts it in the ebike realistic realm, puts your motor at 3.16 nm, and mine at 5.72nm both realistic goals. I think flux gap area and radius may come into play, but then we end up in a formula nightmare
Yeah, let's keep it simple. Can we devise an algorithm that's self-correcting for the weight differential :)

liveforphysics said:
Farfle said:

If you can control temps on that controller (which isnt always easy), I believe you can do 240 or 260 phase amps continuously. If you can control temps, it automagically dials back current to protect itself.

thanks, that might be enough to find the upper limits of this motor at a near stall rpm. Lets say with shoddy thermal paste and a fan blowing on it it could to 220A for the duration.

Using the calc on this page it is giving me .341 ohms per 10m for one strand of 18awg at 180C
.341 ohm / 15 strands is .0227 ohms lead to lead.
p=i^2R 220^2 x .0227 is 1098W of heat.

On second thought, might not be able to push this motor to its limit with the little guy Luke :twisted: :twisted:

Miles said:
Farfle said:
Yeah, I like the 3nm starting point, that puts it in the ebike realistic realm, puts your motor at 3.16 nm, and mine at 5.72nm both realistic goals. I think flux gap area and radius may come into play, but then we end up in a formula nightmare
Yeah, let's keep it simple. Can we devise an algorithm that's self-correcting for the weight differential :)

doh, I meant 3.16 nm/kg and 5.7nm/kg , not just nm lol

I propose that we use your formula in conjunction with my 3 categories. That way we can keep a better handle on the weight differential and adjust it separately for each category as the target is reached. What do you think? It would give more of a sense of competing with similar motors.

Miles said:
I propose that we use your formula in conjunction with my 3 categories. That way we can keep a better handle on the weight differential and adjust it separately for each category as the target is reached. What do you think?

works for me, now we need more than two entries lol.

Ok, we have a more equitable system, thanks to Farfle.

Three weight categories:
3kg or less
Over 3kg to 10kg
Over 10kg to 20kg

The initial formula for the continuously sustainable specific torque target, in each category, is:
Specific torque (Nm/kg) = 0.2 * motor weight (kg) + 3

This will be adjusted by category (raising the bar), as it's achieved.

Anyone unhappy with this?

that is just fine Miles.

but to stimulate activity, perhaps we should bump the prize up to 2 kudo's
:lol:

Back