ES Meetup and Project Showcase at SF Maker Faire, May 18-19

Oops, sorry for letting this thread slip for a bit. Good news is that our application was indeed accepted :mrgreen:

Maker Faire said:
Subject: [Exhibit] #3719 - EV Grins - Acceptance for Maker Faire
Dear Justin,

We are happy to inform you that your proposal for Maker Faire, #3719 - EV Grins, has been accepted. We're looking forward to having you participate in the 8th Annual Maker Faire Bay Area 2013.

Yippee! I promised earlier that we'd start posting some pictures of the projects that we'll be taking down, including some pics of a direct-drive skateboard hub wheel. Well, that's just one of a number of them, I'm going to set aside some time this week to start them build threads...

Hey guys, so the Maker Faire meetup is coming up NEXT WEEKEND! I'm still some 500 miles away but barring no bike breakdowns we should be rolling into SF a day early with time to setup etc.

We already have a number of fellow ES ebike builders planning to participate, but I can also get discount tickets for $22.90 each if there are more people who want to attend the fair (with or without their ebike) and join the hangout. So if there are others who want to join in, please post here a picture of your project within like the next 24 hours or so and the dates (sat, sun, or both) that you'd be coming by and we'll try to hook this up. If you are bringing your ebike and it's a worthy build, then we'll cover the ticket price :wink: Otherwise payments in cool refreshments or greenback will be appreciated.

justin_le said:
Yippee! I promised earlier that we'd start posting some pictures of the projects that we'll be taking down, including some pics of a direct-drive skateboard hub wheel. Well, that's just one of a number of them, I'm going to set aside some time this week to start them build threads...

Oh, and in case anyone missed it, that is here:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=49583

The project I haven't starting a thread about yet is the variable nuvinci geared electric assist unicycle seen strapped to the back of the touring bike. Well that's because I'm still working on it on the road of course, but hope to have her finished and running for the faire too.

With sk8norcal on your ride... that is infinitely cool... best luck, enjoy and take care!

Happy to bring 'Commuter Booster' build to fair. Photo attached if I can make it work. Not worried too much about ticket cost,
I can pony up a few bucks, but thank you for thought! Question: how would I get bike into fair? If I just ride up, they are going
to say "parking is over there, park it."

Can probably come down to fair late Saturday after classes, like 4:00. And all day Sunday is free!
Only question is... how could I get bike into the fair? They have bike parking, but likely response is going to be
'hey, parking is over there, park it'.

Steve

CB 1.jpg
CB2.jpg

I'm thinking of taking a ride up north to go see the show.

anyone from the Los Angeles area want to share a ride up there?

footloose said:
Happy to bring 'Commuter Booster' build to fair. Photo attached if I can make it work. Not worried too much about ticket cost,
I can pony up a few bucks, but thank you for thought! Question: how would I get bike into fair? If I just ride up, they are going
to say "parking is over there, park it."

We have a US roaming cell number for this trip that I might as well publish here. It's (773) 306-8584. So if you or anyone call or send us a text message when you get to the show, we'll be able to meet at the gates and make the case that the ebike is part of the exhibit and git it in that way.

See you then, and keen to try out a commuter booster! I'm not sure if I've ever actually ridden a friction drive ebike yet.

-Justin

Let me know what you think of the Commuter Booster. It should provide quite a contrast to your cargo bike. :D
I think it would be the perfect match for the BAC-500 controller you have been paying with. In fact I have just contacted the guys at ASI to try and arrange it.

Have fun at the faire. Sounds like a blast.

Justin -- I am way envious about your trip down the coast in this beautiful spring weather! See you soon. Late Saturday afternoon probably, Sunday for sure.

Adrian -- C.B. has been rock solid over last months, no problems. Just a pleasure! Beta tester reco: it's a winner. I think of it as "wind at my back". Still think friends review was best: "it's the tits!"

sk8norcal said:
Steve, i think if u tell the gate guy that ur bike is part of the event, they will let u in.

Can anyone play? I have an Aerovironment Charger mid-drive and my wife has a steel mixte with a front Bafang that I just put together. I'm still working on a battery box to fit in the very small mixte triangle, so it may not be Impressive since the current setup is a cardboard box on the rack, but it is quite functional.

The Aerovironment is a frustrating mix of clever and janky. The best part is probably how they use chain tension for torque sensing. The control system is quite seamless.

sk8norcal said:
^ scroll up and look at Justin's post.
i guess he can get u in.

I don't mind paying the admission, and I don't even mind parking my bike outside, I was more asking, is there any interest in either of these bikes given that inside space may be pretty limited.

footloose said:
Adrian -- C.B. has been rock solid over last months, no problems. Just a pleasure! Beta tester reco: it's a winner. I think of it as "wind at my back". Still think friends review was best: "it's the tits!"
Fantastic news. Thanks for the feedback. The screen has been the biggest source of issues across all the beta testers, with interference causing display glitches.

cool meeting everyone today!
rode the commuter booster, thx footloose.
rode the aerovironment charger, thx -dg
rode the weight sensing board, thx Justin and ur two buddies.
rode the Juicer, http://emotorbicycle.com/
Bob Schneeveis's ebike was pretty wild.
Luke got his Deathbike there,
AcuteAero with his bmx

next door was the Semaha trike
http://semaha.co/
the Kranked guys were there also,
http://www.krankedbikes.com/kustoms
and electric choppers of oregon
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Electric-Choppers-of-Oregon/453433298004345
and Frank Bletsch e-motorcycle
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21567

Really enjoyed meeting folks, riding some very cool bikes and seeing some pretty amazing builds!
Plus terrific weather.
Luke -- thx for offer of ride on "DeathBike" -- I'd like to take you up on it at some point, in a venue where I wouldn't have to worry about running down innocent bystanders. Cool that you could ride it in a crowd, but watching what happens when you just blip the throttle... That bike wants room to move!
Justin, Robbie, big thanks for putting this together -- safe and sunny ride home!

I was so glad to meet all the talented buddies from the electric bike booth. Below are the photos of the ES members I have met (Warning, bandwidth intensive! :)):

Justin & Lyen:
05.JPG

Methods & Lyen:
21.JPG

Lyen & MrBill & Luke (liveforphysics):
40.JPG

Lyen & MrBill & Justin:
47.JPG

56.JPG

Lyen & Luke & MrBill:
60.JPG

61.JPG

Lyen & GreenMachine & Luke:
75.JPG

MrBill & Justin:
22.JPG

GreenMachine & Justin:
62.JPG

64.JPG

Luke & Justin:
69.JPG

Luke & GreenMachine & Justin:
71.JPG

Luke with his light weight & high efficiency electric bike:
81.JPG

82.JPG

Justin being interviewed by Engadget:
01.JPG

02.JPG

03.JPG

Another awesome electric bike:
73.JPG

Other stuff from the faire:
86.JPG

77.JPG

78.JPG

104.JPG

106.JPG

110.JPG

113.JPG

115.JPG

117.JPG

118.JPG

120.JPG

124.JPG

126.JPG

128.JPG

133.JPG

135.JPG

137.JPG

144.JPG

146.JPG

147.JPG

148.JPG

149.JPG

150.JPG

151.JPG

154.JPG

155.JPG

157.JPG

158.JPG

80.JPG

More videos to come...

That looks like a blast! I am a sucker for epic ebike journeys.

It looks like someone photo-shopped you Luke :) Looking fit brother.

I had never been to a Maker's Faire before. It was WAY more than I expected.

I went just to meet Justin and hoped to meet methods. Got lucky and was able to have a chat with both.

I had last seen LFP at the riverside race and almost didn't recognize the new, way thinner, bearded edition. :mrgreen: I need to do whatever he did and get rid of my gut.

nicobie said:
I had last seen LFP at the riverside race and almost didn't recognize the new, way thinner, bearded edition. :mrgreen: I need to do whatever he did and get rid of my gut.

It was great to see you too my friend!

My diet is simple. 1500kCal a day, try to get that energy in the form of fat as much as possible with carbs being the least energy sourced fraction. Then I pedal my roadbike up the steepest hills I can find for recreation. :)

Back