Chopper with Cyclone kit

commanda

100 W
So I bought this chopper off eBay for $80.00. Unwanted Xmas present with very little use. Ordered a Cyclone 180watt kit direct from Taiwan. The battery mount is thin plywood, held on with cable ties, and not painted yet. The 2 x 12volt 7AHr SLA's I already had. Didn't use the Cyclone crank axle, as this bike's axle is already longer. Took it for a quick blast up the street, ran fine.

Problems at this stage:
1: the freewheel crank slides on too far, and fouls against the bearing cup. I shimmed the square taper with some heatshrink for now, just to get it going. But this will require further engineering to get it right. Possibly some very thin brass shim material.

2: The tubing where the motor is mounted will need some support tubes added through the bolt holes, to prevent crushing. The motor has already rotated, and the chain no longer runs straight over the motor cogs.

3: The rear dropouts are 170mm wide. I found a Sturmey Archer 3 speed hub specially designed for this frame, and am awaiting delivery.
http://www.choppersus.com/store/product/770/Wide-Hub---3-Speed-Disc-SLVR/

DSCN0809.JPG

View attachment 1

DSCN0811.JPG

Original weight 21Kg. Weight now 29Kg.

The intended use is the 6Km trip to work, which is a little bit hilly.

Amanda

Hi

Thats a nice looking little bike! well done, like the battery box as well will look nice painted up and plenty of room for more batteries as well, in fact if you are using lead you can stack a lot more lead inside that frame.
The cyclone is a good little kit for bike like this, the sturmey archer will make things better as the chain wont skip about as much.

Knoxie

Nice to see a member of the 'fairer' sex into the e-biking gig AND an Aussie too boot :) Neat lil setup to Amanda, Alan from ChoppersRus is excellent to FYI very quick response to emails and gets the product away promptly with very reasonable freight charges compared to some of the suppliers i have had quotes from in the USA... 107 dollars US delivery for a scooter shockie that cost 17 bucks for example :-| I would look at slipping in a couple more batteries if you have the room there Amanda just to be sure you make the return trip from work without having to pedal... Will you be painting the battery 'box' up when your finished with the design etc? or keeping with the 'ghetto' look?

Top job anywayz well done :)

EDIT: The shim material (extremely thin brass sheet) your after can be picked up from Model shops (as in the planes/helicopters/cars/boat models) to FYI in case your not sure where you can pick it up...

Looking good. :mrgreen:

(kinda like mine, before it was stolen by a gang) :(

re the motor mount: perhaps a metal plate (or two) that reaches as far back as the the chainstays.

Cheers...

Ah bugger TD what a pissa i gather you never saw it again? Curious how one of them 'gang members' you Americans have over there would actually get onto a bike in the first place what with the crotch of their pants hanging around their ankles with 27 inches of underwearz showing be a bit of a struggle to swing the leg over wouldnt it hehe ;-S

FWIW Commanda,
You could perhaps mount the motor above the pipe and keep your orig ground-clearance.

@ Jester.. it's usually kids <18yrs. Part of our goals with the inner-city bike co-op is to teach kids how bikes can be a part of good citizenship.

Maybe give those "gang" members (not the real ones) summer jobs like they used to! Then they'll buy the bikes!! Nice job Amanda! Start saving for Ping,cause he's baaaaack!
otherdoc

Time for an update & some fresh piccies.

IMGP1160.JPG
IMGP1161.JPG
IMGP1162.JPG
IMGP1163.JPG
IMGP1164.JPG

The batteries are now 8s * 20AHr Foxx prismatics which cost me $300.00.
And you can't put the motor on top, because the idler will be under tension, and it will bend the shaft.
Peak current to the Cyclone 180 watt motor is 30 amps.
The Sturmey-Archer 3 speed hub works a treat, and is a great combination with the Cyclone in our power restricted Aussie nanny state.
The little rack at the back is used to support my back-pack, which is held on with bungee cord.
The handle bar supports 2 mirrors, a bell, a horn, a Watts-up meter, and a gps.
Gearing is now 52 tooth front, 16 tooth rear. Top speed is about 30Km/Hr on the flat with a little pedalling.
BMS is custom, same as in my EVT scooter. Charger is currently a 30volt 3 amp benchtop power supply, but I do have a 27 volt Meanwell which I haven't implemented yet.
Power is enabled with a keyswitch driving a 24 volt automotive relay.
Last 2 weekends I've taken it out, done about 20Kms and used 9AHrs.
I've also ridden it to work a few times over the last few months. Only 5Km each way, but still a pleasure to arrive at work not sweaty.

Still to-do is find some decent material for the battery box, and put a lid on it so it is more weather-proof.
And find a cure for the rust.
It does get a lot of looks when out riding.

Amanda

1: the freewheel crank slides on too far, and fouls against the bearing cup. I shimmed the square taper with some heatshrink for now, just to get it going. But this will require further engineering to get it right. Possibly some very thin brass shim material.

Bike looks nice. I had the same problem when I put a freewheel crank on my trike. My quick solution was to grind the "removal" tabs off the freewheel. Of course now I can probably never get the freewheel off again. :D

If (when) I have to redo it, I plan to just get a bottom brackett cartridge with a slightly longer axle.

If you're removing a freewheel like that because it's broken, you can just tackweld across the core to sprocket line, and then use a chainwhip to take it off. ;)

Back