My diy electric longboard so far, parts list sk3 213kv

Hello everyone. After searching through the forums i have come across some very useful information and some very helpful people. To all the contributors of this site I thank you for your help! Anyway so after quite a long time and lots of planning I think I have finally chosen the parts for my board. Any feedback or suggestions will be much appreciated.

So I thought that i would start by building my own board, I glued 4 sheets of ply together and put it into my home build longboard press. Not taken it out yet so I hope it turns out well. I got some holey trucks, mini logo bearings and some rather nice Cadillac wheels which should be fairly smooth . This is a picture of it in progress PIC_0010.JPG SAM_0013.JPG

Right so on to the electronics. The basics i gathered from the forums is a low kv motor, reasonably high discharge battery and preferably more ma/h for range

The motor i think I'm going to use was what i thought would be a good middle between the higher speed ntm prop drive 270kv motor that is commonly used and the low 170 kv higher power motor that is sometimes used. I thought that this would also be a good middle in terms of speed and battery life. so it is an unbranded 230kv 63mm motor, please let me know your thoughts on this - http://www.giantshark.co.uk/n636409kv230-outrunner-brushless-motor-p-407740.html

For the esc i wanted to get something that is good quality to avoid having to purchase another in the future. I went for the hobbywing xerun 150a - http://www.giantshark.co.uk/xerun150asd-brushless-p-405858.html this has some great features and programming options, I will get the programming card for this

The battery decision is where i've gone round in circles, I went over several lipo's then onto LiFiPo4 on account of them being more tolerant to several aspects that may come about on an ev. I think i'm going to get 18 cells of nimh as they are easier to charge and don't require as much effort in my oppinion. However i'm still unsure whether this will work as well as i hope. Any advice will be much appreciated. But i'm thinking 3 these in series - http://www.overlander.co.uk/batteries-chargers/nimh-battery-packs/nimh-battery-pack-subc-3300mah-7-2v-premium-sport.html

For the controller i was going to get a flysky transmitter and reciever for rc car - http://www.giantshark.co.uk/flysky-gt3b-transmitter-carboat-p-407574.html

To actually make this thing move i will either make my own motor mont or order a nicely designed and machined one from Richard at Alien Drive systems. I am thinking of going for chain drive in a ratio of 12t to 32t. I thought that this would be a safer option as the area near me has some relatively steep hills, again thoughts on this will help.

Right so I think that's about it, i'll be glad if you enjoyed reading that and as I said any suggestions will be welcome.

Thanks

The 63mm motors are good and should work well. 50mm I don't think is too bad either. Both give a decent amount of power. I've been riding (1) 63mm but have a dual 63mm setup. My (1) 63mm does pretty well even uphill. I've also heard good things about the Xerun 150A ESCs too. I find my Lipos to work fine. I'm using 2x 5S 8000mah in series.

I'd like to make my controller smaller. I'm using a similar one but the orange HK one. If you have any experience with ripping it apart let me know. I'd like to make a plastic case for a smaller one.

I'm working on making my own motor mount. I already have it designed just need to tweak it and test it and it will be much cheaper than the current alternatives currently if you are interested. I do like the custom metal builds and being welded on. Those are definitely a strong and sturdy mount.

Keep it up with your build. I would like to see more.

Thanks very much on second thoughts i think I may go for the NTM Prop Drive 270kv which is 2400w of power i believe, do you think that this will be enough power if I set up the esc properly and with the right gear ratios to take an average sized man up a small incline? I think if so that's what I'm going to get. Yeah I am going to try and reduce the size of the remote if I can and lazer cut a case for it, main thing is that they use 8 aa batteries which can easily be replaced with a lipo so I think it will be possible. I'm planning to make my own mount now as well, ill make a design when I get the motor and belts and that. Thanks for responding and thanks I will post the progress of my build to the forum :)

Just a few of my dad's collection of tools in the garage :) we used some scrap wood, 10mm threaded rods and nuts and a drill to make the press. Then the shape was just marked out and cut with a jigsaw with a fine toothed blade to give a nice clean cut. Then just a file and various grades of sandpaper to finish it off, then we are putting about 4 coats of clear yacht varnish to protect it + make it look nice :)

Looks really great! Gotta build one myself once my deck is beaten up. What kind of wood and glue did you exacly use? Doenst look like the ply wood I had in mind.

Thank you both of you! the glue was evo-stik resin weather proof wood adhesive for exterior, apparently dries stronger than wood itself! Yeah its not the standard ply a lot of people use, it was just a sheet that looked quite nice and it was the only decent ply they had at the hardware store near us, I hope it holds up well, seems strong enough.

I got my first lot of parts in the mail today. In the end I went for a Turnigy aerodrive 213kv motor, K-force HV esc and 2 5000mah 4S lipo's to beconnected in series (silll awaiting the other battery) :D IMG_2702[1].JPG IMG_2706[1].JPG IMG_2708[1].JPG View attachment 1

There is more info and a more detailed look of these parts on my website.

Thanks for all your help on this forum, I am finally underway!

Looking swell :) What's your website?

*NVM, found it on your profile page

yeah it has, you can set it to off/soft/hard/very hard with a default of off. Looks pretty good so far. I haven't built the board yet, just awaiting a couple of parts before I can finish it. I'll have to do a bit of testing before I can recommend this esc to anyone. I hope it will be ok. I'll keep you posted.

Is that the 70a HV esc opto? I am curious how you power your reciever and how well the brakes work with it. Hope it works well, thats what I want to try next. I want to up the voltage and decrease the size of the esc. I am thinking of using a boat esc for the brake option and it is sbec.

dirkdiggler said:
Is that the 70a HV esc opto? I am curious how you power your reciever and how well the brakes work with it. Hope it works well, thats what I want to try next. I want to up the voltage and decrease the size of the esc. I am thinking of using a boat esc for the brake option and it is sbec.
Hi, Its the 120a version, i'll be powering my reciever with a seperate nimh pack, I haven't tried it yet but I will post it on here when I do, should be up and running in about a week, hopefully.

Back