Triangle battery bag

It's a good one. Look how many straps it's got. Not hanging it by a thread.

Make a hard shell box for your lipos, unless they already are hardpacks. I like to use coroplast political and advertising sign material. Easy to cut and fold to make a very tight fitting box to protect the lipos when the bike falls over. Prevents chafing of the cells too.

neptronix said:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29211

Read my review and info on the falconEV triangle bag.
I believe the em3ev bag is basically a variant of it, maybe even coming out of the same factory ;)
I've purchased both bags attempting to get either of them a bit faster... I plan to make 2 ebikes too so I'll use them. I'll make a comparison post when I get both. The em3ev is coming from China and the falconEV from Florida.

neptronix said:
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=29211

Read my review and info on the falconEV triangle bag.
I believe the em3ev bag is basically a variant of it, maybe even coming out of the same factory ;)

Let me make 1 thing absolutely clear, our EM3ev bags are Absolutely, Definitely, 100% Not Made in the same Factory as the FEV bag. In as much as any triangle bag that is meant to carry batteries and fit in the frame off a bicycle is gonna have some similarities, our bag has lots of differences and dare I say it improvements in design, materials and workmanship. I had my own bag custom made by a Taiwan owned company with a Chinese Factory, that do lots of work for some very big names in the Bicycle Industry. We had to buy in pretty serious quantity to make it happen, but that is simply the price of entry to work with the good companies, they will not mess around.

I needed triangle bags, it was no longer practical to buy the FEV bags and it was not the product I wanted to offer. I had no choice but to do our own. Our bag was all built to our custom spec, with advice from the maker. You'll find lots of stuff that you don't find on the FEV bag. The guys we use are experts, we built at least 4 or 5 different samples before we settled on the final design. I'm happy with the result, we've not had any complaints. I know it could be sold for a whole lot more than we sell it for, if it was retailed by an expensive Stateside supplier. I've not pushed them very hard, I'll let the customers do the talking.

Without a good triangle bag at a reasonable price, how are we gonna sell triangle packs? As anyone that has tried a frame mounted battery pack knows, it is hard to beat a frame mounted battery pack. I'd like to do other bags in the future as well, just have to get a few more of these sold 1st :)

Here it is:
http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=41&product_id=125

Sorry for posting some speculation that was off about the factory, i didn't mean to insinuate anything about build quality. It's just that the bags are similar enough as is.

I have ordered one of yours and will review it and compare. I still have no complaints with the FalconEV bag other than the green FalconEV logo that cheapens the look of the bike, but i do need another bag for another bike anyway.

I own both the Falcon EV bag and the EM3 bag. Both seem to be the same quality of material and straps. In the EM3 there are straps on the inside of the bag as well, I assume to strap your batteries in place inside the bag if you want.

The one major difference I've noticed was the shipping time. The EM3 came from China I believe and it took a solid month to arrive to Texas, USA. FalconEV comes from a guy in Florida which is good for shipping time, but he also wouldn't allow me to pay via PayPal. I had to send him a money order / cashiers check of the total amount and then he would ship out the bag.

I like both bags and use both.

I agree with Dogman, my most recent case I used coroplast (ive built an full sheet aluminum box, and have a FEV bag) and it is a great material to work with. Super lightweight, very easy to fabricate, and provides plenty of protection. I cut slots in mine and ran velcro straps through, along with using sticky back velcro to close hinges. Has been working great all summer.

I will second that. It sounds interesting.
I guess you don't fix velcro to the packaging, you just cut a slot in the packaging to pass the velcro through?

My bag is 3.5L and claims to be the biggest on Ebay. £9 delivered within the UK. They sent it too. There not totally full of it :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Big-Frame-Bag-Bicycle-Cycle-Bike-3-5-Litres-Capacity-/321052604190?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&var=&hash=item4ac039f71e
Quality unknown. Looks OK sat on my floor, but I keep expecting to find a shaving brush and tooth paste in it. At 20mm wide the straps can't hold on forever. There nicely stitched on though, through the bag and also some hidden corrugated plastic board that lines the bags roof. Strong enough for rain gear, but forget batteries. My batteries will have there very own straps round the frame, This bag will be more like a cover. My battery straps will be cable ties that rise up through the bag by punching eyelets in where needed.

That does not look like it's designed to carry batteries.
The secret sauce of the falconEV/em3ev bags is to rest a good fraction of the battery weight directly on the frame. And then there is also padding in the bag itself. Plus the straps are huge.
No other bag i saw while shopping around for good battery carrying options comes close, in terms of ability to carry a 5-20lb battery!

If you want a bunch of inferior bags though, i can sell you them real cheap because i wasted plenty of money on that ;D

friendly1uk said:
I will second that. It sounds interesting.
I guess you don't fix velcro to the packaging, you just cut a slot in the packaging to pass the velcro through?

My bag is 3.5L and claims to be the biggest on Ebay. £9 delivered within the UK. They sent it too. There not totally full of it :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Big-Frame-Bag-Bicycle-Cycle-Bike-3-5-Litres-Capacity-/321052604190?pt=UK_SportGoods_CyclAcces_RL&var=&hash=item4ac039f71e
Quality unknown. Looks OK sat on my floor, but I keep expecting to find a shaving brush and tooth paste in it. At 20mm wide the straps can't hold on forever. There nicely stitched on though, through the bag and also some hidden corrugated plastic board that lines the bags roof. Strong enough for rain gear, but forget batteries. My batteries will have there very own straps round the frame, This bag will be more like a cover. My battery straps will be cable ties that rise up through the bag by punching eyelets in where needed.
May have to steal this method. Ought to help prevent most of the bag wear anyway.

It would be nice to see it done, because the chances of me getting round to it are not great lol I need to get the cars cylinder head back on to take the bike out of service. I'm spinning it out though. I have had 2 months out of it so far. I'm going for a 3rd but there is a wedding coming up. I might need it.

I like the falconEV/em3ev bags, they look like they will perform there task well. Full side opening is an instant plus. My 5Ah 12s is just 1.6kg though. The bag I showed here will have lots of room. It would of been nice to mount the weight lower, but with the uk flooding all the time, I had actually been looking at top tube panniers. Three sets later, it appears they are all 13.8cm wide, even the 170mm wide ones. A hardcase is 13.9cm. It would of made a great little 5ah pack, or as some people call it, a booster pack :wink:

Rode in both cold continuous winter rain this morning & warm rain this afternoon. At least 3 hours of rainfall riding. I do have a good set of rain fenders to keep direct spray to a minimum. Also, sprayed most of the bag with fabric waterproofing spray. The EM3EV does the trick fairly well at keeping elements out. The insulation padding on the bag's sides also help with moisture control. I'm sure the insulation also helps with frigid temps to some degree. Very pleased with the bag :mrgreen: .

I have no experience with the Falcon bag, but I just couldn't be happier with my EM3ev frame bag.

It's just superbly made, mine is still looking and working good as new after a full summer carrying 12 pounds of 15 ah 48v battery. No little tear outs of the Velcro, no zipper issues, and it's very water resistant. Happily, in winter riding the bag has kept the pack toasty warm increasing winter performance a lot compared to metal boxes I had in the past.

The padding on the bag has both insulated and protected the RC packs inside. I have the pack divided into two sections, one 10 ah and one 5 ah. Generally I ride with both connected.

My review of it here, http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=51549

I've had both and I prefer the em3ev bag, I had the zipper on the Falcon ev bag fail and the mesh on the outside of the Falcon bag was cool at the start, but soon ripped and became useless.

Guess I should've posted my post in this thread, but this is what I think the Em3ev bag will look like on a bike like Montague Paratrooper. 2 questions - 1) does anyone have both the bag and the bike to compare and 2) wouldn't it make more sense to make the 'battery output' hole on the lowest point on the bag (where it says '7cm' on the pic) as opposed to the front (the Em3ev logo)? This way, there's way less wires to dangle around, plus somewhat less resistance.

Attachments

• Em3ev bag on PP.jpg
    Em3ev bag on PP.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 3,897
There are two holes for wires in the bag, the one at the front below the EM3EV logo and one at the top of the rear of the bag. They also have an extra elastic sealing layer around the holes, as compared to the Falcon EV bag

Secondly, I don't recommend the bag for a frame like that as a battery even of just a few KG will swing around a lot.
Stick to triangle frames with this bag.

Has anyone lately gotten Falcon EV to take Paypal. I read back in this thread that he made someone else order by sending a check or money order. All over his site he has logos and stuff saying he accepts paypal. This business practice seem shadier than ordering something off an infomercial and sending a check and waiting 4-6 week.

icecube57 said:
I read back in this thread that he made someone else order by sending a check or money order. All over his site he has logos and stuff saying he accepts paypal. This business practice seem shadier than ordering something off an infomercial and sending a check and waiting 4-6 week.

I thought the same thing when I recently purchased a bag from them. They seem reluctant to accept paypal. I sent in the money order and received the bag the next week. It reminded me of my first eBay purchase back in the 90's. They responded to emails in a prompt fashion and notified me when the check received and when the bag was shipped. Overall a good albeit strange transaction.

Back