E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

kmes_2000 said:
Hi guys

I ran my fighter with the cycle analyst disconnected. It ran better than when the cycle analyst was working I got full power back.

Will it damage my fighter if I run it with the cycle analyst disconnected? It accelerates and goes faster with the ca unplugged.

I brought the bike to grin yday and they gave me a free sync cable and were very helpful. now Im waiting on the custom stealth cycle analyst firmware to be e-mailed to me.
I can't use the stock firmware found on their website because it won't have the correct parameters.

I post again when I flash the firmware.

Yah, you can ride it around disconnected, but the problem is you don't know how much current you are using. Even though the battery has a BMS that shuts things down to prevent over discharge, you want to avoid BMS shut down as well. That said, if you got a way of tracking distance, then figure you got 26KM @ WOT on flat hard ground and around 40KM pedal assisting and taking it easy. In reality you got more than that, but these guidelines are erroring on the side of caution.

1abv said:
If this is an issue for you why don't you start a new thread? Seems simple enough.
The answer to that is simply because there is no forum section dedicated to Stealth bikes. Only a moderator can make a new forum. Without a Stealth E-bike forum any new topics about Stealth get lost in the noise of the massive "Electric Bike" forum, and impossible for interested readers or contributors to browse or search. Which is why this topic is what it is. Massive with cross-topic chat. Sadly it's the only way to keep information together about our bike brand. What you suggest will not work, so people don't do it. Clearly there are enough Stealth owners to justify having it's own forum. Anyone used to motorcycle forums expects a forum for specific brands or makes of bike. So this is not a new idea. Just a common sense approach. I think this is change in inevitable on this site or elsewhere. E-bikes are just going to keep growing in popularity.

Allex said:
http://www.selleroyal.com/en/comfort/look-athletic
I use this one, never had a sore butt with it even after several hours (over 100km non-stop) of riding.
Did I tell you that my ass is skinny? I like this seat...
Thanks Allex! That seat looks like what I need. That is longer for/aft, so I can shift my weight well forward for rough corners where I still need some connection between by arse or at least thigh and the seat to help lock onto and settle the bike. With the heavy rear hub causing control problems, when standing and leaning forward over bumps, it's too easy to slip off the weighted outside pedal and when I do it's not pretty. That extra padding makes that seat more practical too. I'm 74Kg so I'm not going to break most seats.

The absence of a semi moto style seat is great for keeping the Fighter looking stealthy (like a push bike), but it's also a big limiter for fun, in my opinion.

Currently on my fighter I believe I have a good all round setting for the front vs rear height balance. With my arse in the saddle or hovering over it, I get good straight line stability over rough or soft ground in fast more open trails. Around tighter corners to turn tight or commence a two wheel drift I can stand and shift forward and get my head over the bars, like any mountain bike and it's usually great. But the Fighter is much heavier than any mountain bike, plus you can apply power while aggressively cornering, so for some corners you need to be both forward AND sitting, to lock everything in. That longer seat will help. :)

Heres a vid
frock sake how u put vids on here with iphone ??

Attachments

• trim.KthVJl.MOV
    3.3 MB
Emmett said:
Hey this thread is obviously insanely long. It feels weird posting anything, because anything anyone writes is off topic in some way. There are a 1000 topics in this one thread. If the name means anything, then this thread/topic was originally intended to contain photos and videos of Steath E-bikes. Sure there are many pics, but it's also such a mess.

I want to ask about seat options for the Fighter. But I wont, because there are already 10 active topics in this one thread. changing the subject is in many ways rude. But what to do?

I'm a new user, but the fix seems simple. I don't even know if someone has suggested this already because I don't have the patience to search a zillon posts.

1. A moderator creates a forum named "E-bike Stealth Topics". Then inside it interested people could create separate threads for different topics? Like "Bomber sag settings", or "My cool timber look", or "My Fighter axle problem", etc.
2. The moderator puts a freeze on this thread preventing more posts, with a final post referring and linking to the new forum.

Flame me if I deserve it. I just don't get it, and had to ask.

I think this could be a good idea, the Stealth thread is definitely big enough as we go towards 400 pages. It would save some of us time when we have to search back through the history because we encountered a problem that someone had already had and the solution was posted.

To all,

I am brainstorming ideas to email to Stealth about offering frames only. Something such as a Bomber frame with a Fighter Swingarm DIY, and this is just an example. As we have all seen with other threads, there seems to be quite a big niche in the DIY ebike market. Anyway, before I fire off emails, I want to know what everyone thinks such as, would it be better to propose a wider frame with a battery compartment of say 135mm x 360mm x170mm tall, or go with the Bomber battery compartments current dimensions on the frame which is 120mmW X 360mmL 165mmT? Or maybe 126mm wide for an even 5 inches? Second and more importantly, how many people would be interested in this or think there would be an interest in Stealth offering a frame/swingarm DIY combo? If I email Stealth and tell them, hey here's an idea :idea: they may listen, but if I say hey here are some ideas, and lots of people on ES said XYZ or what ever, they may take that into consideration even more. I am serious about this, please tell me what you think, send me PMs about it, bounce some more ideas off me. The worst that can happen is nothing, the best, is something new and another option.

Rick

Funny you bring this up. I was emailing sales about similar request. I asked if there was a possibility to buy the Fighter without Battery and Controller. The answer was:
We only sell complete bikes - so it will be the same price as any other Fighter $7900.

But maybe you have a better way in, email directly to the Creator/Owner John? Tell them if they will offer this option they will have a Lot of customers.
I say go! But I think if this go through, the frame price will be more than Phasor and Raptor frame together :)

Rix said:
To all,

I am brainstorming ideas to email to Stealth about offering frames only. Something such as a Bomber frame with a Fighter Swingarm DIY, and this is just an example. As we have all seen with other threads, there seems to be quite a big niche in the DIY ebike market. Anyway, before I fire off emails, I want to know what everyone thinks such as, would it be better to propose a wider frame with a battery compartment of say 135mm x 360mm x170mm tall, or go with the Bomber battery compartments current dimensions on the frame which is 120mmW X 360mmL 165mmT? Or maybe 126mm wide for an even 5 inches? Second and more importantly, how many people would be interested in this or think there would be an interest in Stealth offering a frame/swingarm DIY combo? If I email Stealth and tell them, hey here's an idea :idea: they may listen, but if I say hey here are some ideas, and lots of people on ES said XYZ or what ever, they may take that into consideration even more. I am serious about this, please tell me what you think, send me PMs about it, bounce some more ideas off me. The worst that can happen is nothing, the best, is something new and another option.

Rick

I think your idea is a good one. There's probably a lot of diy builders that would be interested in buying a genuine Stealth frame. The frame is the hardest part of a diy bike to make, and there's not many good choices on the market right now.

This is what I would like to see.

The bottom bracket should use standard bicycle parts. For diy, I'm probably not interested in a VBoxx, because of cost , and complexity.

For the battery box, it doesn't need to be bigger than a stock Bomber. Even Fighter size would probably be ok, because I expect battery technology to improve soon. Allex's bike proves we don't need more room now, and after one more breakthrough it could probably even be smaller.

Aside from these 2 changes about the only other thing I can think of might be to consider alloy, but I don't think it's that important.

Rix, If I could have bought a Fighter frame + swingarm, at a reasonable price, then I would have, and done a DIY build.

As TV already wrote, I too expect that batteries will get better and optionally smaller. Plus I want the narrowest battery compartment. The Fighter is a good width for my use.

It must be difficult for Stealth to configure models to reach the widest buyer market. Various requirements for range, terrain type, top speed vs torque.

I use mine mostly as a powered version of a DH mountain bike. So it's for downhill like fun, but not just on downhill. That means I want more motor torque (H4080 hub overheating always limits my ride duration), narrow frame ergos, and not too heavy.

All that I plan to keep from my original 2012 Fighter is the frame and swingarm. Everything else will be sold off and better components purchased to build a better bike. I would rather have started with a Bomber frame and a Fighter swingarm. The Schlumpf drive seems like a better choice than the V-boxx.

I'll take one Bomber frame setup for a Fighter swingarm. Awesome, I hope this works!

SamM

LOL, sign your petitions and wish lists, people have been trying for years to get stealth to sell frames only but the answer has always been the same.
If they sold bare frames then few people (atleast in this demographic) would buy their complete bikes. I suspect a good percentage of stealth owners aren't interested in their own assembly project and happily pay the premium for a turnkey bike with a proven track record.
Unless you're 100% fixed on the shape of the bomber frame I think those looking to build their own ebike probably know what the best alternative is if you want a schlumpf capable swing arm with (more than) bomber storage capacity. I won't say though because it'll sound like a sales pitch and you could argue that I'm biased :p

If stealth wanted to cash in on the DIY market I reckon a good move would be to come up with a different frame design and supply that for those who want to make their own "stealth" ebike. Or better still, bring out an updated 2015 model with a new shaped frame (long overdue IMO) and sell the old style on the side for enthusiasts. I guess stealths concern would be that if you build something around the frame and it was a piece of crap or you made a dodgy lipo pack that caught fire it's bad publicity for them.

All good points, Jay!

I looked seriously at the Raptor but felt it was too big for me. Honestly, I like the size of my Fighter better, than I would ever like the Bomber. A wish list is just that thought, a wish. Don't ever expect it to happen but it's nice to think about.

SamM

Thanks everyone for the quick comments and feed back. This is a good sign, helps the cause, I am going to type of a nice pursuasive letter and email to Stealth. Worst they can say is no. But you never know. As Allex has experienced, I also wanted a Fighter frame, swing arm, and ATS crank assembly. Wasn't going to happen. Thats okay, I ended up getting Fighter anyways. Its a great machine, as is the Bomber.

Rick

Great idea Rick. I hope Stealth goes for it. I'd like a Cro-Adaptto BombFighter please :)

No I really would. But then I think back to the handful of times where something happened requiring more complex repairs.
If I built it myself, it wouldn't be nearly as easy as it is factory built...I just put the part in a box and send it to Stealth. It only takes a few days or so to get rolling again.

Maybe if I had a proper workshop I'd consider it. Otherwise for me, factory built, with full warranty & fast turnaround is worth a lot.

Rix said:
Thanks everyone for the quick comments and feed back. This is a good sign, helps the cause, I am going to type of a nice pursuasive letter and email to Stealth. Worst they can say is no. But you never know. As Allex has experienced, I also wanted a Fighter frame, swing arm, and ATS crank assembly. Wasn't going to happen. Thats okay, I ended up getting Fighter anyways. Its a great machine, as is the Bomber.

Rick
Couldn't hurt to try.. On a slightly similar note I asked if they would have an upgrade to the new 5.2 bomber from last years model.. Sadly the response I received was there are too many new parts and it would be better to simply buy a new one..it would be great by the time my pack is dead to get a new one that is as idiot proof as the stock with more range..

On another note I went out this afternoon on the bike and really started to push the suspension. For my riding style the revalve is so much better. Specifically on high frequency square edge small stuff its nice and plush, jumping is as flat as can be. The rear does not kick up, I have been hunting for kickers! I have not tried the rocky hill climb yet. I put a bit more preload in the front...I've heard that the 888's loose stiction after they get broken in. They are better then when I first got them but still could be better...
By the way:
http://asracinginc.com
Did the revalve..
On the subject of seats I have this:
https://www.serfas.com/products/index/saddles/rx-saddles
Some folks don't like gel seats but I love em...

Rik did you tried the avalanche 888 fork kit? What were you trying to get out of a revalve on your 888's if you don't mind me asking?

Made a couple of tools.. Pretty basic but useful thought I would share.

Since the v boxx cranks like to bend I made a board that has measurements on it at specific distances so when I bend the cranks back that would be in spec.

Bomber board with measurements.
15555352172_0ce9fd4ac2_z.jpg

I clamp a piece of square tubing and back the crank up against it, and now I can use it to measure how bent my cranks are and where they are bent.
15551835181_6b04303958_z.jpg

finally I get a ruler or tape measure and line it up to the marks.
14933761354_cb476683dc_z.jpg

I put the cranks in a padded vice, wrap them in cloth and bend em back in shape.

This is version one of the board but its been real helpful. Hope it helps....

Tool #2
Bomber strut. I used this when I removed the rear shock to hold up the bike. pretty basic but here you go..
15367888259_c46627835e_z.jpg

hi guys, quick question,

today i was riding my bomber , the motor was hot and i stop a little be , lay down the bike on the side and some oil star coming out of the motor and tiny be of smoke , didn't smell burnt anybody know what is this oil?

cheers

1abv said:

Since the v boxx cranks like to bend I made a board that has measurements on it at specific distances so when I bend the cranks back that would be in spec.

I clamp a piece of square tubing and back the crank up against it, and now I can use it to measure how bent my cranks are and where they are bent.

I put the cranks in a padded vice, wrap them in cloth and bend em back in shape.

it is good to heat it up with heat gun before bend it back in place :)

Tool #2
Bomber strut. I used this when I removed the rear shock to hold up the bike. pretty basic but here you go..

Man...second crank to bend. Took a nasty spill on some wet leaves turning into a bridge. GForm elbow pads really really work. Got a bit of a concussion though even though was wearing my DH helmet. At the bike shop right now waiting for them to open (I had ordered extra Suntour cranks a few months ago). Tried to upload a photo but forum app said it was too big.

Nice ABV1, that will get them perfect. The few times I bent the Bomber cranks, I just threw them in the press and eyeballed them, your method is more precise that's for sure.

Great idea Rick. I hope Stealth goes for it. I'd like a Cro-Adaptto BombFighter please :)

No I really would. But then I think back to the handful of times where something happened requiring more complex repairs.
If I built it myself, it wouldn't be nearly as easy as it is factory built...I just put the part in a box and send it to Stealth. It only takes a few days or so to get rolling again.

Maybe if I had a proper workshop I'd consider it. Otherwise for me, factory built, with full warranty & fast turnaround is worth a lot.

Remf, there is nothing that beats a turn key ready to ride ebike like our Bombers and Fighters, and with the excellent support original owners get from Stealth, no argument at all. Which brings me to my second point. Now that I have a few years of ebike riding, and almost as long with one Stealth or another under my ass, I learned a lot. For me, the next evolution is to build a Ebike, and get it right. I have been fuqing around with 1/2" x 1" Cromolly square tubing (Like Drunk Skunks) trying to build my own frame. Its much harder than it looks, I spend several hundred dollars on tubing, and countless hours, I aint got it right yet. So my next step is to buy a frame, such as a Phasor or Raptor and go that way. But if Stealth comes out with something, I am going that route, because I am a Stealth rider, and if I have the option, going to keep it Stealth. For those that don't know, I am partial to Stealth bikes, even though I do appreciate the Raptor and Phasor guys and their builds. Such as the basis for my email to Stealth along with the feed back I got from the guys here. If and when I get a response, I will share it here.

Rick

Here is the face book link to Stealth North America, to include northern hemisphere.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Stealth-Bikes-Nth-America/1484068655178945

1abv said:

Tool #2
Ah very cool, wish I read this before I put on new cranks (although I've bent them twice already).

Latest outing:
The rear just does not kick up at all. Pretty impressive from where the suspension started. Between the 888's and the revalve of the rear its night and day.. I'm still working on getting more plushness and bottoming resistance out of the front. My bar is set at my moto suspension. I may never be able to get there but side like to try. On the rocky hill climbs the rear wheel skipping and hopping issue is much better but not gone. I've been really impressed with the quality of the magura mt4 brakes.. I need to do some tweaking to them yet, the motorbolts are still rather close. I'm going to get a shop to macheine me up a proper spacer instead of the ghetto washer thing that I'm doing now to space the disc...

More to come...

Back