E-S Stealth Electric Bike Owners

Most times when I ride when I put the bike away there is a smell. Is that normal?

Thx

1abv said:
Most times when I ride when I put the bike away there is a smell. Is that normal?

Thx

What from ur pants, cos u had a fast ride, :wink: ,,
Or is ur motor hot ?

So bending cranks is a common thing with the stealth bikes then? Went to look at one and it had a bent crank and a flat battery... so couldn't pedal... or not pedal... wasn't even a heavy push bike experience :(

I understand they're quite heavy but are there any other alternative cranks out there? Just musin'

Edit: found the answer 146+ pages back :oops:

boars said:
So bending cranks is a common thing with the stealth bikes then? Went to look at one and it had a bent crank and a flat battery... so couldn't pedal... or not pedal... wasn't even a heavy push bike experience :(

I understand they're quite heavy but are there any other alternative cranks out there? Just musin'

I've bent two cranks now from the weight of the bike. You want them to bend otherwise it will mess up the VBoxx. I've been debating about bringing a large crank straightening tool with me in my backpack for those times you get stranded.

Jimboyr6 said:
1abv said:

Thx

Or is ur motor hot ?

Both? Its the motor.. I've read that if they are worked hard they smell but mine walkways seems to smell... And then my pants. Normal? Or should I be worried?

Jimboyr6 said:
1abv said:

Thx

Or is ur motor hot ?

:lol: :lol:

Assuming the smell you are referring too is coming from your motor, when you ride and get the motor warm, that odor is the antirust coating Stealth uses on the stator, armature, and magnets. This is normal. Eventually it will go away.

Allex said:
Any one knows of a gear puller that fits to Our 5403 motor? Cheap!

Bought a 8" 200mm gear puller. ~25USD
Was afraid that it would be to small but you can even use it for bigger stuff.
I think My Stock NSK bearings are dry, they started to make metallic sound after one good wash. I will push them out and open upp the seals, clean them and relube. I could by some new SKF, but I dont think mine are bad, just dry...
BTW, Nice Board there, 1abv

Attachments

• DSC04486.JPG
    DSC04486.JPG
    116 KB · Views: 4,980
Allex, I have some SKF units in the 5404 on my er, dad's Bomber. They are better units then the NSK. Since you are removing them, I would get some SKF units and put back in. They ran about 11 euro each when I had Dlogic get them for me. Just my 2 cents. By the way, nice 3 prong puller, I got my 3 prong puller from Harbor Freight, it was the best 9 dollars I spent on a cheap tool, its quality isn't as good as yours, I can tell that from your picture.

The important bit is at 5 minutes 30 seconds. Watch those fingers!!!!

If the covers don't drop by the last half an inch or so then the bearings haven't seated inside the cover. A roll of duct tape placed sideways over the axle and a nylon-headed hammer makes a simple way to gently tap them some of the way home so you can get the side plates screws located with enough thread to pull the covers down..

Allex said:
Ahr, you make me spend more money. I know you mentioned this before, but what dimentions do I need on the bearings?

Get a 6005Rs and a 6004RS, The 6004 series is a 42mmOD x 20mmID x 12mm wide, the 6005 series is a 47mmOD x 25mmID x 12mm wide. The RS designates the bearing "Race Seal" between the inner and outer race and the 2 designates 2 race seals per bearing. This is universal so you can order this bearing from anywhere and get the correct one.

Rix said:
Jimboyr6 said:
1abv said:

Thx

Or is ur motor hot ?

:lol: :lol:

Assuming the smell you are referring too is coming from your motor, when you ride and get the motor warm, that odor is the antirust coating Stealth uses on the stator, armature, and magnets. This is normal. Eventually it will go away.

Thx sir!

proper159 said:
boars said:

I've bent two cranks now from the weight of the bike. You want them to bend otherwise it will mess up the VBoxx. I've been debating about bringing a large crank straightening tool with me in my backpack for those times you get stranded.

I can understand you don't want the force transferred into the v-boxx unit - that would be more expensive and all sorts of bad.

Was just musing that it'd be nice to have a really strong arm with a pivot that's locked out by a small pin (or some component) that's designed to take the force and get broken in a drop/accident. Knock the pin out if it's still in, move the crank back to where it should be and throw another pin in. Figure it'd be easier to have a bunch of pins/something than a big crank straightening tool :mrgreen:

boars said:
proper159 said:
boars said:

I can understand you don't want the force transferred into the v-boxx unit - that would be more expensive and all sorts of bad.

Was just musing that it'd be nice to have a really strong arm with a pivot that's locked out by a small pin (or some component) that's designed to take the force and get broken in a drop/accident. Knock the pin out if it's still in, move the crank back to where it should be and throw another pin in. Figure it'd be easier to have a bunch of pins/something than a big crank straightening tool :mrgreen:
Yeah that could be a good idea. I'm now thinking about carrying an extra crank for both sides in my bag because it's a complete pain in the butt to not be able to pedal when you are low or your battery is zero. On my longer trips I could end up in a major dilemma if I bend the crank halfway through the trip and then have to rely on just throttle to complete the second half. I could be stranded more than 10 km from my destination in the cold.

Hi All,

I am a complete noob and just about to take the plunge into the stealth world - however like many people who have posted before, I am torn between both the fighter and bomber - fighter for its light weight and handling, but bomber for its range (and speed :)).

I have just spent the last week going through this forum from page 1 to end - man there is a ton of info here, and its amazing to see how the bikes and technology have both progressed since 2010 and the knowledge shared by the enthusiast here!

I am sorry if these questions sound stupid, I am only trying to help make the hard decision of which of these awesome bikes to buy a little easier :)

Coming from a pure MTB XC background I am more swinging towards the fighter as it is more classed as a MTB rather than closer to a gasser like the bomber.

I like the idea that if really needed, you could manage to carry the fighter up a set if stairs.
If you give the Bomber a small squirt on the throttle, can you walk one up stairs or does it just skid out and bounce around on the rear tire?

My rides would most likely be split 60/40 road / offroad.
I'm not too fussed about an insane high speed, the stock 60 ~ 70 km of the fighter is more than sufficient, but I would love to push the max range out the machine.

From reading through the posts, it seems a stock fighter ridden at 40Km/h (keeping in check WOT) will run for about 40km.

I have seen some people mention they run two stock batteries in parallel, with one sitting on a seat rack.
Does running this setup essentially double the range you can push from the bike?

Also, how heavy is the stock battery on the fighter? If it is close to 20Kg then this setup makes no sense when that would simply push the bike weight up to that of the bomber which can run to 80km range anyway.

Does this setup require additional battery care? I read there is some potential issues sag in this setup.

I also saw from a more recent post Hyena mention something about 18650 li-on cells.
I am completely new to all the tech, but it seems that these are quite stable and very light weight in comparison to others.

Is there performance of these comparible to the stick stealth battery and can you squeeze more into the bike for extended range?

Hyena, I noticed you are still working on your new fighter and looking at the possibility of a number of ready to go upgrade kits - would the battery kit improve the stock ranges?

As mentioned earlier, I am not too fussed on pushing the speed at this stage but much more interested in pushing the range.

Once again, love the forum and these bikes - hopefully I haven't posted too many stupid questions!

woot, Bombers are pretty heavy to take up stairs. If you need to do that, you'll probably be happier with a Fighter. The speed difference isn't that big a deal. Range is the issue, and it doesn't matter whether it's a Fighter, or Bomber you'll want more. When battery's improve, and I don't think it will be much longer, range will be a lot less of an issue.

Thank you a lot Rick!
Woot, I'd say Fighter, fill that skinny frame with 18650 and you have a nice setup. They work pretty good. I have them in my bike. Actually better as I do not have the tremendous Voltage sag unlike the stock "old tech" Lifepo4 cells.

woot81 said:
Hi All,

I am a complete noob and just about to take the plunge into the stealth world - however like many people who have posted before, I am torn between both the fighter and bomber - fighter for its light weight and handling, but bomber for its range (and speed :)).

I have just spent the last week going through this forum from page 1 to end - man there is a ton of info here, and its amazing to see how the bikes and technology have both progressed since 2010 and the knowledge shared by the enthusiast here!

I am sorry if these questions sound stupid, I am only trying to help make the hard decision of which of these awesome bikes to buy a little easier :)

Coming from a pure MTB XC background I am more swinging towards the fighter as it is more classed as a MTB rather than closer to a gasser like the bomber.

I like the idea that if really needed, you could manage to carry the fighter up a set if stairs.
If you give the Bomber a small squirt on the throttle, can you walk one up stairs or does it just skid out and bounce around on the rear tire?

I'm not too fussed about an insane high speed, the stock 60 ~ 70 km of the fighter is more than sufficient, but I would love to push the max range out the machine.

From reading through the posts, it seems a stock fighter ridden at 40Km/h (keeping in check WOT) will run for about 40km.

I have seen some people mention they run two stock batteries in parallel, with one sitting on a seat rack.
Does running this setup essentially double the range you can push from the bike?

Also, how heavy is the stock battery on the fighter? If it is close to 20Kg then this setup makes no sense when that would simply push the bike weight up to that of the bomber which can run to 80km range anyway.

Does this setup require additional battery care? I read there is some potential issues sag in this setup.

I also saw from a more recent post Hyena mention something about 18650 li-on cells.
I am completely new to all the tech, but it seems that these are quite stable and very light weight in comparison to others.

Is there performance of these comparible to the stick stealth battery and can you squeeze more into the bike for extended range?

Hyena, I noticed you are still working on your new fighter and looking at the possibility of a number of ready to go upgrade kits - would the battery kit improve the stock ranges?

As mentioned earlier, I am not too fussed on pushing the speed at this stage but much more interested in pushing the range.

Once again, love the forum and these bikes - hopefully I haven't posted too many stupid questions!

Bomber all the way cos u just always want more range etc
I spose unless u do the leg work and learn how to upgrade battery etc then the fighter would b perfect
The bombers not light and 9 gears aint that useful

woot81 said:
Hi All,

Woot, welcome to the thread. So, lets dive into some of your questions shall we?
Coming from a pure MTB XC background I am more swinging towards the fighter as it is more classed as a MTB rather than closer to a gasser like the bomber
I think you are on the money with this. Having been the owner of both the Bomber and Fighter, this is the best guideline I can give you, if you prefer MTBs or MCs, the Fighters the better route, if you prefer MCs over MTBS, the Bomber is the better route. Even though I have an extensive, Motorcycle Offroad racing background (80s), to me, mountain biking was always more enjoyable. Anyway, my first bike was the Bomber, I loved it. Then I got a Fighter, I liked it even more. Now my dad on the other hand has an extensive MC Offroad racing background as well, from the 60s to the 80s, and he always liked motorcycles more than mountainbikes, but that makes since to me since there were no MTBs in the 60s or 70s and the 80s MTBs had no suspension. Anyhoo, my dad prefers the Bomber over the Fighter, not because of power increase, but because if feels more stable to him, like motorcycle compared to the Fighter, and this is why I liked the Fighter more than the Bomber, it feels more MTBish.

Also, how heavy is the stock battery on the fighter? If it is close to 20Kg
The stock battery is about half that weight. And the way battery tech is evolving, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see that the next generation of batteries from Stealth will have a lot more energy storage. In fact, its inevitable, just a matter of when, not if. In the mean time, yah, there are guys here that are running custom built batteries, Hyena figured using the 18650 cells, he could cram a 72 volt pack by 24amps into the Fighter's battery compartment. That's pure awesome. I can personally vouch that what ever kit he puts together, will work, and will be awesome. Also Allex's battery is the $h!t. Of course his Bomber performance wise is the best Bomber out there. Of course Keplers was faster than snot as well.

it seems a stock fighter ridden at 40Km/h (keeping in check WOT) will run for about 40km
That what I was getting with my original battery. Keep in mind, I was running a an 18x1.4 rim with a MC tire and tube, with the MTB rear wheel tire/tube, figure a few more kms @ 40Km/h. If you rid around pedal assisting with speeds around 30Km/h or about 20MPH, you will probably get closer to 60km out the stock battery on pavement with minimal hills.

[quote two stock batteries in parallel, with one sitting on a seat rack][/quote] Yes, I think it was Paul form New York that did this. Obliviously with the weight increase up high, handling characteristics will change. I don't know how much that was affected though. Hey Paul, care to comment?

can you walk one up stairs or does it just skid out and bounce around on the rear tire
yes, with a little throttle blipping, these bikes can be maneuvered up stairs. Even though the Fighter is about 18kgs less weight than the Bomber, I would want to pack either one of them up stairs by carrying. Elevators are easy also, Just lift the front wheel and walk in, if its not crowded.

[quote the stock 60 ~ 70 km of the fighter is more than sufficient][/quote] Yah, the Fighter can hit 60Km/H all day long in stock trim hot off the charger. And that's with a 265# gorilla like me on it.

If you got any additional questions, post em, we are here. I know the toughest part of spending the money on a bike like this is not being able to test ride one first. Both my Bomber and Fighter were purchased that way. I can certainty tell you that if being on two wheels contributes to your quality of life, and you are not expecting power output of a 450 motor crosser, not to worry, whether you get the Bomber or Fighter, you will be happy with it.

woot,
My first thoughts about buying a Stealth eBike were along the same lines. Which model do I get? When I checked the classified adds, I found a Fighter for sale not far from me. There aren't many of these for sale in the U.S. Finding one sealed the deal. My first Stealth would be a Fighter. I just figured that I would get a feel for the bike, save up my money, sell the Fighter and buy the Bomber that I really wanted. As I rode the Fighter more and more, I realized that this was the bike for me. As I read of other people modding them, I am even more convinced that buying the used $4000 Fighter was a good decision on my part. My wife is VERY happy that I will not be spending $14,000 on a new Bomber as well. Paying $4000 and then modifying the Fighter is well within my comfort zone of spending discretionary funds.

If buying new, there isn't a huge difference in buying one model over the other. It's a few thousand dollars one way or the other. That's a lot of money but saving a little longer is easy. I'm not sure if anyone is financing these bikes. Get the bike that will serve you the best. Just remember that eventually, battery technology will level the field between the Fighter and the Bomber. Weight and use will be the deciding factors. You may as well decide that now!

SamM

Back