Manufacturers/Dealers to Gravitate Towards

I picked up a used Xootr Swift folder via CL around the middle of Kansas (Salina) - my dad was in the area and handled boxing it up 37"x25"x13" @ 38lbs but when he went to ship it to NYC from a Mail & Package store he got a rather high estimate. Online calculated UPS about $65, FedEx ground about $53 - much lower than the bids he was quoted - over $100.

However, I also discovered shipbikes.com which contracts via FedEx ground to deliver at more affordable rates. The final quote came out to about $45 using our own acceptable box & packaging. They offer several choices of shipping containers and even eBike specific shipping carton.

Searching the forum I only found two direct mentions http://endless-sphere.com/forums/search.php?keywords=shipbikes of so I wanted to share this service. Perhaps it belongs in one of the Marketplace sub-categories, Wiki or some other area to help others befuddled by often outrageous shipping quotes for bikes?

I'm not sure that this company has been mentioned yet but if not here it goes. Xiongda 2 speed motors are very good quality and stand behind their products. I just go the latest KT controller and it makes the motor "automatic" for the 2 speeds. This was sent with no charge after I told them about problems with their first generation controller. The new one works great on 36 volts and even gets my heavy trike up a 7% hill 1.5 miles in length without heating more than a few degrees from normal. Lightweight motor with good power and can be boosted if you choose to 44volts without a problem. Very nice folks in this family run business form China with a high quality, unique product.
otherDoc
Check "2 speed motor" thread for lots more info.

Edit: All the parts that I need to fix the motor arrived today via DHL. I put these folks on the highly recommended list. The motor is a new design but the developer and staff are really willing to work with you. You still gotta be a bit handy to run the motor, but as far as I know I am the only one with this kind of catastrophic failure of gears.001.JPG

docnjoj said:
Astroflight makes great motors and has our recumpense (Matt) to build and sell them. Truly a can't go wrong experience for RC motors. All made in the USA. Can't beat that with a stick!
otherDoc
Thank you for the great advice, Doc. I've built two prototypes now, both using the Astroflight / Shumaker drivetrain, and they work extremely well. You can check out my latest prototype on the thread where people show off pictures of their e-bikes. I can heartily second your opinion and personally vouch for both the quality and customer service that Matt provides, along with the impressive quality and performance of the Astroflight motors.

Elliott

Id like to pay some Kudos to Samd from Ballaratebike.com.au
So far I have purchased a MXUS motor, Geentime controller, Cycle analyst, three speed switch.
http://ballaratebikes.com/

Saved me a fortune as opposed to buying them individually and getting them shipped from the northern hemisphere.

He has a great workshop setup and knows his stuff! As he increases his range I'd invite all Aussies/Kiwis to deal with him.
First night I was to head up to his house, I was invited for a BBQ. That's my kind of business man, and as you all know, Sam is an active member
that replies to questions etc. very quickly.

-Sean

If I lived in Australia, I would definitely be hitting up Sam D for some of his BBQ. And his bikes. :mrgreen: It's always a pleasure to see what he is cooking up on a given day.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/Mountain-electric-bike-motor-mid-drive_1751971891.html

any dealings with these people? looks like price doesn't include lithium battery. but I have seen some 8fun 250 go for 500 dollars and this I presume includes a bike.

steps...

Wattage:
200 - 250w
Voltage:
36V
Power Supply:
Lithium Battery

Wheel Size:
26“
Motor:
Brushless
Certification:
CE

Frame Material:
Aluminum Alloy
Foldable:
No
Max Speed:
<30km/h

Range per Power:
31 - 60 km
Place of Origin:
Zhejiang China (Mainland)
Brand Name:
Lohas

Model Number:
KCMTB013
Color:
Optional
derailleur:
SHIMANO

Package Weight:
30 Kgs

Specification

Motor High Torque 8FUN Middle motor Frame 6061 aluminium alloy.
250w hub motor Tyres 26" ×1.95
Battery 36V,10Ah Li-ion battery Rim Al alloy double wall and CNC side wall.
Middle motor with LCD Front fork RST Suspension fork( With TNL Function)
Front brake Tektro Disc Brake
PAS PAS sensor (with 12Magnetic on disk plate) Rear brake Tektro Disc Brake
Controller intelligent bruhsless. Speed gears Alivo 7 SPEED
Charger AC 100V -240V 2amps smart charger Rear derailleur SHIMANO
Charging time:4-6hours Stem al alloy
Performance Brake lever Al alloy with power off switch.Tektro
Max speed 32KM/H Chain KMC Rust resistant chain.
Range Chain wheel al alloy crank.
65km with 36V/9Ah li-ion battery(PAS). Mudguard PP plastic MTB style.
Max load 90kgs Saddle saddle from Italy
Net weight 26kgs Lighting front & rear light. LED
Gross weight 29kgs Pedal Mountain style pedal .
container load 86pcs/20ft container,200pcs/40HQ container Packing size 148 x 28 x 75cm special for exporting

wow...lol your right. after some investigation. I have found you can get a sample order. one item. the price for example of mid drive motor like 800 bucks but shipping is like 400 bucks.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/new-designed-18-speed-electric-motors_60015269260.html?s=p

you know even comparing prices on amazon or ebay the prices are about the same. it looks like a 20 percent drop in price on amazon or ebay price if you go through the trouble. assuming your just getting one unit.

a lot of these place I have been to on alibab the shipping is 300 400 500 bucks.....is this right? what shpping options do you have shipping to states and it seenms if you go to an international port the price is almost half. and port could be mississipi or ohio river ports.(I believe they are considered international ports.) any of you experienced people have a good idea on how to buy something from alibaba.

sorry if these questions are obviously noobish but you got to start somewhere...

If I had it to do over again, I'd have used http://california-ebike.com as my stateside vendor. Future parts suport will come from them.
Responsive, communicative, reliable, and fair. They answer every query without a delay. Yup, it's a permium but if you want service, support, and leadership that's what your premium will get you. As it is, my premium to another USA vendor got me 15% less in my pocket, nothing more. If I were in OZ SamD would be the man.

I just had an occasion to do a small piece of business with California EBikes. Out of the 10 resellers I've dealt with I've found this stateside business to be simply the most responsive, helpful, honest, and communicative. I retired from a career in the hotel industry where customer service was paramount. Doug and CEBike are simply the best. Heck he is even willing to help on issues my stateside Bafang dealer abandoned me on. Thanks Doug! All the best with your enterprise, you've earned my respect and applause!

If you are looking for support and can afford to pay a small premium to a US based business please make oug your first choice. All I can say is WOW! And Thank You Doug!!!!

Tom

http://california-ebike.com/product/eprodigy-whistler-electric-mountain-bike/

this middrive looks like the bofeilli mid drive. very cool.

mountain biker said:
http://california-ebike.com/product/eprodigy-whistler-electric-mountain-bike/

this middrive looks like the bofeilli mid drive. very cool.
Interesting bike. Apparently a 48v option and a belt drive option also.

A good experience to report on 2 vendors. I am very pleased with my 48v, 15 ah Calibike Li ion pack I bought from Rafe. The order was filled promptly and received well packaged. I also had a good experience with ElectricRider, they were slower to ship my order (36v 20ah LiFePO) but sent it out about 8 days after I ordered it. It also was well packaged. Yes, I paid more for both batteries then if I had ordered from China, but it saved me from dealing with loss of time due to shipping or defective components within the battery.

I have been VERY happy with the products and service provided by Long Island Electric Bikes. I purchased a Haibike Xduro AMT Pro 27.5 (with the 350 watt Bosch system) from this firm (owned by Chris Nolte) from their original shipment in July. I love the bike and have had excellent follow up service/support from this dealer.

I damaged a couple of small parts and they promptly sent me replacements at no charge. Next I was having trouble with the Avid XO Trail hydraulic brakes and learned that these brakes are quite problematic. I talked to them about it and they went back to Avid and got and sent me a complete new set (front and rear) of Avid Guide RSC brakes (~$400 retail) to replace the problematic units at no charge and I got the within a few days of contacting the dealer. These Guide brakes are a different technology that by all accounts is far more reliable than the XO Trail model I originally had.

So THANKS to Long Island Electric Bikes!

Greenbikekit.com
I received a bottle battery from them 8 days after ordering. It was packed ok and matches the ad description. Good comms from the help dept including after sale. Not bad for China imo.
http://www.greenbikekit.com/

User "carlitos2406" appears to be posting the same link over and over. Possibly not too "bright"?

ElliottE said:
docnjoj said:
Astroflight makes great motors and has our recumpense (Matt) to build and sell them. Truly a can't go wrong experience for RC motors. All made in the USA. Can't beat that with a stick!
otherDoc
Thank you for the great advice, Doc. I've built two prototypes now, both using the Astroflight / Shumaker drivetrain, and they work extremely well. You can check out my latest prototype on the thread where people show off pictures of their e-bikes. I can heartily second your opinion and personally vouch for both the quality and customer service that Matt provides, along with the impressive quality and performance of the Astroflight motors.

Elliott
I've been using Astroflight products since the 1960's and they are competitive with anyone in the world for quality and price. I do remember flying their Samarium Cobalt electric motors in contests using Sanyo Red Nicads pulling 50 amps for 30 seconds straight up. The motors did not melt!
otherDoc

I'm probably not the first or last to recommend California e-bike http://california-ebike.com/. I can't recommend them highly enough. Amazing service from Doug. Had a minor issue with my order (BBS02 100m conversion) with a missing cable and he sent it DHL on the Friday and I received it on the following Monday (that's to Norway). He's always been quick responding to email queries - and he even replied to one of my mails on Thanksgiving.

Unprompted, he's now informed me he's going to send me a controller to fix an "er 12" I get on my console.

What can I say? No hassle or haggling; this company is a gem. :)

jamesd168 said:
JinbaIttai said:
docnjoj said:
...http://www.americruiser.com/ Inexpensive and long lived! Easy to modify. Love it!
otherDoc

From the website:

2eg7djn.jpg

Lol! :D Do you think he will drool on you while you ride?

That one looks so cool. But I dont think my dog can stay on the bike, also how much does it cost?
I cut my "trike teeth" on a Tricruiser. I think they are around $800. Great trike to midify and to ride.
otherDoc

Ade said:
I'm probably not the first or last to recommend California e-bike http://california-ebike.com/. I can't recommend them highly enough. Amazing service from Doug. Had a minor issue with my order (BBS02 100m conversion) with a missing cable and he sent it DHL on the Friday and I received it on the following Monday (that's to Norway). He's always been quick responding to email queries - and he even replied to one of my mails on Thanksgiving.

Unprompted, he's now informed me he's going to send me a controller to fix an "er 12" I get on my console.

What can I say? No hassle or haggling; this company is a gem. :)

An amazing fellow. Doug never misses an email or a support question. It took me MONTHS to get an answer from a vendor I spent $1400 bucks with thinking stateside support would be a plus. After 3 months I received and answer and was referred to his "sales manager". That email has now sat unanswered for several days. A far as I'm concerned there are two resellers that are worth their weight in gold. Doug and Paul at EM3ev.

Pingbattery.com is having a clearance sale on their previous gen V2.5 packs, and I'm ordering one. You get them at the same price, but with free shipping, which amounts to $70 or so off in most cases. I've had no problems at all with my almost 3 YO Ping 24V 20AH pack. It may just now be starting to lose capacity, or it may just need a good long EQ charge, but I wanted a second pack anyway. The 2C output rating may not be super high, but for those using SLA packs it's a huge increase in power just from the lack of voltage sag, and I'll take a bulletproof 2C pack over a 3C or 4C pack that only lasts a year or two, any day.

Back