Minimal Parts for Electric Longboard

INVAD3R

10 µW
Hello everyone I was thinking of a design similar to this video for an electric long board. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UtobFiMKk5M The components are very minimal and I truly like that. How much would one waste in all these components, looking forward to a motor that may take you from 20 mph to 30mph max if possible. I am looking for speed over torque so what is the price for components such as these? By the way I am a total noob but I comprehend the function and mechanics and how to build one, I am just not familiar with all the components.

Yes their build is an example of something that just gets the job done. Looking at the board it's probably a $30 motor, $25 ESC and $30 for the LiPo. Looks like he made the controller himself but you can get one for about $20 now. Depending on the gear ratio I would say you ould hit about 15mph on that. Add another lipo for more voltage if you want it to be faster.

That is very functional for what I am looking for. If I change the motor to a higher KV it should go faster right?

INVAD3R said:
That is very functional for what I am looking for. If I change the motor to a higher KV it should go faster right?

It could go faster but you lose the torque. The torque you need to climb up hills and/or push you over non flat terrain and the motor trying to spin but not spinning can burn your motor out. Ideally, you don't want that high of a KV unless you don't mind burning out motors.

Ideally the minimal parts that you would need is the following:

Standard Longboard Setup - Ideally ABEC wheels for the bigger size allows for more clearance.
ESC Speed Controller - Haven't found any for $25 IMO. Looking at least $50-60. You want a car ESC.
Lipo Batteries - From HobbyKing 6S 5000mah and/or (2) 3S 5000mah. Or 8S if you plan on going 8S.
Motor - 50mm or 63mm. Turnigy SK3, NTM 50mm, Tacon Big Foot about $50-80.
RC Controller GT2b, Quantum Pistol Grip about $20-25
Motor Mount for Trucks - $100-150 depends. Cheaper if you make your own.
Drive Train Setup - You need a motor pulley, belt, drive wheel pulley. $40-100 depends.

Motor Mount/Drive Train can be usually found on kits. $225 I offer the entire single mechanical kit. Trucks, Welded Motor Mount, Drive Train Setup, 83mm Wheels, Bearings, Spacers.

Back