Manufacturers and dealers to avoid

Lessss

1 MW
OK horror stories about specific manufacturers, got any?

I hear the manufacturer of the X-treme scooters often have quality isses. Anyone know the actual Chineese manufacturer or if this is true?

just a note to say, I've been trying packs from lots of different iron phospahte suppliers, advanced battery company in china I would avoid them like the plague, they sent me a mixture of cobalt and magnesium cells, after ordering iron phosphate battery
and waiting 6 months for it too arrive.

Add to this list GEBattery..

http://www.gebattery.com.cn/

Workmanship is second to worst, and will not honor any warantee on their packs, for their Vendors or Buyers !

:evil:

Edit : Their cells may work, and i'll report back as the testing continues.. but top quality cells assembled in a manner that would cause their destruction within a few months use = useless.

Maybe you can try some Xyster battery? :roll:

If every ebike component vendor begins posting here -- which will happen as its free, targeted marketing -- we won't have a usable forum anymore. At some point, before we get inundated with commercial spam, the Yesa's, LifeBatts, et al should get booted to their own little advertising section, and any who won't play nicely in their sandbox permanently excised from the forum.

Ypedal said:
least contribute something to the forum in exchange, reply to some questions and contribute free information to compensate for the ratio... at least. :cry:
+1

:D

I think its great that yesa is participating. It gives us a chance to give feedback and get questions answered. Hopefully he'll make a good case for us all to buy his batteries. And hopefully we'll be able to ask him questions on this forum.

There's a thread called "yesa" in "battery technology" where they could use his input.

To his credit, he's not trying to misrepresent himself. He makes it obvious that he's affiliated with yesa. We're all adults who can judge for ourselves.

Sh---t - you call that participating? :?

Every time one of us mentions "battery" we get an infomercial?

DK

swbluto said:
I've heard things about Razor scooters. But that's no big deal as I'm over the Razor scooter weight limit.

OT, but FYI, my Razor 24 volt 750 scooter with a 450 watt motor carries my 300+ lbs almost two miles without complaining. That's up and down some little hills on sidewalks and bike lanes in South Austin, Texas. Doing that twice a day, and I can leave the truck in the drive all day!
that's probably not enough for most commuters, but I'm out of the job market and it works for me. END/OT....

Now let's get the dirt on the MFRS to avoid! Line forms to my left!

BC

64ragtop said:
swbluto said:
I've heard things about Razor scooters. But that's no big deal as I'm over the Razor scooter weight limit.

OT, but FYI, my Razor 24 volt 750 scooter with a 450 watt motor carries my 300+ lbs almost two miles without complaining. That's up and down some little hills on sidewalks and bike lanes in South Austin, Texas.

Do you have a link for this scooter? I can't seem to find a "Razor 750" scooter.

Anyways, TO THE DIRT!

There's warnings about Golden Motor to be well heeded by past experience. One forum member recently ordered a LiFePO4 pack and ended up clearly received a well-used battery(who knows how many cycles it's been through) and upon requesting a replacement, got another used one. About a year ago, ebikes.ca ordered a shipment of Golden Motor wheels and illegitimately received used ones. Needless to say, they aren't dealing with Golden Motor again. It appears to buy from Golden Motor is to get used.

Buyer Beware!

swbluto said:
Do you have a link for this scooter? I can't seem to find a "Razor 750" scooter.

OOPS! I'm gonna blame this one on inhaling the blue dust from the plastic electrical boxes that are slowly becoming homes for my Bosch 36es :oops: :oops: :oops:

it's a Schwinn 750 with the unitized drive train.... My point was that the little bugger does do MY short commuting trips, surprising and pleasing me greatly :D .

The Razors that I DO have are an ES500, and an MX350. Perhaps bearing out your original post, both were DEAD when I picked 'em up from egag for $20.50 and the gas for a 70 mile trip to pick 'em up. Both came with replacement controllers, and DEAD batteries. But they haven't risen to the status of NEXT in the project pile yet, so autopsy results are not in yet. :?

ATB

BC

I'd say if you order a kit from Wilderness Energy, buy a charger on ebay the same day. If you're lucky one of the chargers will work. WE is very good about replacing the bad charger, its just that it's gonna take time. You'll want to replace the charger plug right away too.

I hate to diss Crystalyte, but that ver. 2 digital controller is a piece of crap. I don't know if they have resolved all the problems with it yet, but certainly the earlier ones had an abnormally high failure rate. The biggest problem related to the capacitors, and perhaps most of the other problems were a result of that.

The earlier 'analog' versions of the controller have a relatively good track record.

dogman said:
I'd say if you order a kit from Wilderness Energy, buy a charger on ebay the same day. If you're lucky one of the chargers will work. WE is very good about replacing the bad charger, its just that it's gonna take time. You'll want to replace the charger plug right away too.

Ditto with the Golden Motor kits. Unfortuntaly GM won't replace the fried chargers. I couldn't even get a reply about the 2 chargers that failed on me.

I must add that everything else in their kit seems to be ok. It's holding up fine for me so far. (knock on wood :wink: )

Nick

On WE and chargers.

My kit came about 2 months ago with a bogus Cansai charger. It took a while but WE replaced it with a Soneil that works like a champ. I am wondering what they are shipping with their current kits? Perhaps they changed their evil ways :)

My WE charger that came bad was a soniel, and put out exactly 18.5 v instead of 36. I thought it was very wierd that it half worked. I don't know about the cansi's but I heard a lot of them were no good.

OOOO...easy question!!! DO NOT BUY LIFEPO4'S FROM: The BAD lifepo4 guy!

My friend, Lau Chan has non functioning bms and under power delivery from his lifepo4 batteries would be enough of a problem, but he has no history of following up on problems or promises with members of this forum.

" Tell me trouble with battery. I fire someone." school of management. No hope of getting technical battery help from lau...typically "It's fine to take off bms. Not needed."

Or the old cheque''s in the mail ploy. Next week, two days, shipped, will ship in two days (repeat as necessary)

Motto: "Quality is job ummm..."

aka East United Music, aka jimmywuu66, aka peterwong228, aka mp3hk. I haven't got a complete list here, because he will have additional identities in additional countries.

I had to hold myself back and only post about bad stuff I have got. Figuring out who this seller is using as an ebay identity this week is the hard part. Solution, buy only from sellers that have been around a few months at least. Ping for sure, Cammy is trying. The hi=power cells look nice, but who knows who the seller is.

Re the second generation Crystalyte controllers: I fried my controller in the rain and ordered a new one from Electric Rider. It's true it was expensive, $229.00 as I recall. The inital difference I noticed was the case, it had cooling fins built in and the reverse option wasn't on there. The wiring for the motor was simpler utilizing a single three wire plug.

After wiring it up however I find it a better controller with more power delivered to the motor from a dead stop. I have had NO problems with it and so far it has performed flawlessly. Unfortunately Electric Rider determined my old controller was beyond repair and that cost me another $75.00 to find out so I figure the cost of the new one at over $300.00 plus shipping. So far though, except for price, it's great.

It's a 48/40 and I put well over 40 through it going over bridges according to my watts up.
Mike

GOLDEN MOTORS - avoid like the plague!!!!

Let me tell you my story. In August I ordered the 500 whatt Motor kit (including battery) from Golden Motor. They took my money immediately, then sent me 2 USED broken batteries in a row. After about a month of arguing (politely) I started a dispute with Paypal with GM and asked them to tell me when they sent my motor because that hadn't arrived either. After not bothering to reply to six paypal emails they finally said , "There are no 700c wheels in China so we can't send you a motor." China is the bicycle capitol of the planet - no 700c wheels - bollocks!! So, they took my money when they knew they couldn't fill my order, their site says they sell 700c wheels though (that's why I ordered), knowing they couldn't send me the GM kit they still sent me batteries to use for a kit they couldn't send me, and then to add insult injury they send me USED BROKEN batteries!!!!! Finally they say they will give me 745 dollars of the 840 I paid because of they wanted to charge me for shipping. So now I have two used pieces of junk that, here in Japan, I have to pay to get taken away!!!!

So, Golden Motor sux in my view beyond any possibility of redemption. I know some people are happy with their golden Motors, all I can say is that they were lucky that the parts they received were probably stripped from bikes that had problems with their bells or something.

I'm not attacking Ampedbikes or Ping here, I hear good things about them, I'm talking about the company Golden Motor and Philip.

If you have any doubts about this scammy little company (6 million dollars total net worth - think about it (actually I don't even believe that)) then go to the Golden Motor forum and see how many other people are furious with them too.

I'm off for a beer....I'm pissed off, I might as well be pissed too!!!

PS It's amazing that they have got me this disgusted and pissed off, nothing usually pisses me off, I give people a lot of latitude, I've never had this kind of problem in years and years of buying online - so if they can piss even me off, it would turn any normal person into a raving knife maniac!!

AVOID - Don't even think about it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS Golden Motor just banned me from their forum for saying this , not surprised, the facts are a bit damning.

Back