20 inch BMX rims with (16 inch) motorcycle tires

kenkad

100 W
Hello,
I know that there has been discussion on this subject. I did not specifically see this information. Maybe Arlo1 knows these answers or anyone else.
1. Plan is to use the Sun Big Baller 20 inch rim, ERD 392mm, 32.5mm width, welded. Is there another welded alloy rim as an option?
2. If I use a 130x90H16 motorcycle tire, is the overall diameter of the tire 25.5 inches as is typically stated on motorcycle websites?
3. What is a good bicycle tire tube to use with this motorcycle tire?
4. I need these for the rear of a delta trike, and, I need to use the same 20 inch rim with a Schwalbe 20x2.35 tire for the front. Will the same tube work and what is the overall diameter of this tire/rim combination?
5. Is a Marathon Plus 20x1.75 a better front tire choice and how much smaller will the overall diameter be than the 20x2.35? Are the front and rear tubes requirements different then?
Thank you for this info.
kenkad

funny thing about bicycle tires. a 20" bicycle tire actually is 20" in diameter. bicycle tire sizes are the outside diameter. so all of your bike tires will be 20" in diameter within a few fractions depending on the rim width.

now for the 130-90motorcycle tire. i doubt that it will even fit on your rim. or even if it does i don't think it will stay on. the rims you have are much too narrow for it. those tires are meant for a rim that is at least 3" or 3.5" wide. your rim is about one third of that at 1.25" wide.

but regardless. i would use motorcycle tubes with motorcycle tires. with those really heavy cycle tires who would care about a little extra weight with the thicker cycle tubes. they still fit on the rim

rick

If it were in my budget i would buy these:
http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=415661

they have a good selection of wheel building suplies.....best pricing I have found anywhere.
& the motorcyce tubes are the way to go. a bit heaver but you will NEVER get a flat with this set up on a bicycle.

bike tubes:
http://www.niagaracycle.com/product_info.php?products_id=16355

Kenda motorcycle tubes are the same price at Bikebandit:
http://www.bikebandit.com/kenda-dirt-bike-inner-tubes

Thud,
Thank you. I had looked at that website and had overlooked that rim. I would prefer a welded rim, but I can use a pinned rim with the spoke method I am using. Thank you again for this link.
kenkad

Hi KenKad,

You can put any 16" motorcycle tires on a 20 inch rim (bicycle) but 32.5 is narrow, 36 mm like Thud suggest is a way better. If your plan is to use a motorcycle tire, I recommend using motorcycle tubes, those tubes are generally thicker than a bicycle tubes and is better for pinch flat and road debris.

Good day!
Black Arrow

Pirelli Tire ML75 2.5-16 is officially (according to Pirelli) 21.3 inches in overall diameter.

Does anyone know if there is a motorcycle tire size that can be fitted on a Surly Large Marge 24 inch rim?
kenkad

the 2.5" wide Pirelli should be okay on a 36mm wide rim. i have a couple of the wider 2.75" wide ML-75 rear tires mounted on some 45mm wide rims.

640002.jpg
640001.jpg

these are going on my "Granny Trike" if i ever get back to work on the darn thing.

these rims are pinned but not welded. they are also painted so i would not use them with rim brakes. Ypedal may have a few more of these rims to sell. PM him if you are interested.

rick

Thanks everyone who has responded. I have found the following 2.25x16 moped tire (http://www.innovatires.com/tire_serch.php?xPA=IA-3103) and will also use their 24x3.0 city tire (http://www.innovatires.com/tire_serch.php?xPA=IA-2018), assuming that I can get these in the USA. I will email them to see if they have a USA distributer. Else, the choice is Large Marge rims and Endomorph tires for the rear and a 2.75x16 moped tire and 20 inch rim for the front. Thanks for the help.
kenkad

your going to love the feel of the motorcycle tires :D

here's my set-up sense feb. (this bike is constantly changing)

pirelli ml-75 2.5 in the back and 2.75 in front

Picture096.jpg

kenkad said:
For Colby,
What is the rim brand so we can see the rim specs as far as width, etc.
Thank you.
kenkad

hey kenkad,

they are just some no name brand lower quality rims.

there about 1 inch wide :oops:

but, they work!

eventually i would like something better/wider...

dbaker said:
Looks great! And you managed with such narrow rims!

amazingly it works!

i just have to keep an eye on the proper tire pressure to keep the bead seal on the tire/rim in check :wink:

AussieJester said:
Looks very supermotardish love it 8)

Nice job colby...any vids of the bike in action mate?

KiM

hey kim,

thanks so much!

hehe, it kind of sounds like one too with those two overvolted geared unite motors lol. however, i like! makes you feel a bit safer being heard in the noisy city.

this bike has been threw many changes(and many more to come)...here is a earlier one.

http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=235&start=420

i don't have any video yet, but i will soon and post it :wink:

Hello,
Just a bit of an update.

I received my Innova tires (IA-2018 style, 24x3.00) from Achieva Rubber and they fit the Ryno-Lite rims I already had. For those who need to know, the overall diameter of this tire mounted is 25.75 inches. The rims are about 28-29mm in width. I am actually going to use 38-39mm rims (Alex DX32) for the final design. I also tried with terrible results to place a 20 inch OF-215 90/100-20 motorcycle tire on one of the narrower rims. The result was dramatic. When I inflated the tube, the tire bead came off the rim and the tube exploded. The ISO diameters are correct, but the bike rim simply does not have a tall enough sidewall. I will try it again with the DX32 rim, but I do not expect the result to be any different. Interestingly enough, bike rims do not provide the side wall height, only the value listed as 'rim depth'. This is not the sidewall height as all. If anyone on this forum knows of 24 inch bike rims that have a tall enough side wall (and can provide actual metric dimensions) and are around 38-39mm wide, please provide us this information.

I have not received my 20 inch bike rims as yet and will post similar info on these, for both the Perilli ML7501 moped tire and the Innova bike tires. I hope this info helps those involved in advanced trike designs.
kenkad

Hello,
Here is the final update on 20 inch rims and various tires for determining overall diameter of a particular mounted tire. These are mounted on Alex DX32 rims, but that really makes little diffreence in the final number.
1. Perilli ML7501 overall diameter is 21.375 inches (543mm)
2. Innova 20x2.125 (IA-2047) overall diameter is 20.00 inches (508mm)
3. innova 20x3.00 (IA-2018) overall diameter is 21.625 inches (549mm)

There will be no further updates on this thread.
kenkad

I realize the OP has left the thread but I would like to continue onward, searching for that best 20-inch wide rim and tire. My next ebike is turning out to be rather tall and my answer to that is to go with the smaller rims/tires to drop me down 3-inch. The options suggested here are exactly what the doctor ordered! 8)

Rims:
I would really like to have a Mavic-927 equivalent, but then I woke up. :roll: Large Marge wouldn't be too bad either but N/A for 20-invh. The Alex DX32 may not be the optimum choice. Searching, I am trying to locate a 36h 20-inch rugged (DH-strength) that is wide >32mm and preferably with offset holes.

Also in the search I found references to “pinned" rims which apparently have distaste for some enthusiasts; can someone explain that to me please?

OK, found these REVOLUTION RIM 20X1.75 36H - BMX - BOMBSHELL RACING
Thoughts?

Tires:
Of the two tires discussed here, the Innova (20 and 24x3.00 IA-2018) and the Pirelli ML75
How does the weight and durability compare relative to say a Hookworm?

Many thanks in advance, KF

Kingfish,
No, I have not left the thread. I have nothing more to add at this time. I have no experience with offset rims so I cannot help you there. I am doing a four spoke solid spoke conversion on the DX32 rims. These rims are being discontinued anyway as far as I can tell. They are not easily available. For my solid spoke conversion, It does not make any difference if the rims are pinned or welded. I have some welded Rhyno-Lyte rims as well. I do not care whether the rims are 32, 36, 40 or 48 spoke hole. My solid spoke conversion accommodates either (4 divides into each of those spoke numbers). I will be using the Innova tires for now because they are the right size for my application. Innova may be able to provide me DOT certified tires later (punchure proof and thicker thread). That is up for discussion. I have no experience with Hookworm tires. The attempt at using 20 inch motorcycle tires is a bust at this time. I am also using Rhyno-Lyte welded rims and Marathon punchure proof tires, but they are smaller in overall diameter and I do not want that for my delta trike design. Good luck with your efforts.
Kenkad

Back