14S3P SPIM08HP passively-cooled pack design

Thecoco974

10 W
Hello everyone !

I’m in the process of building a pack out of those SPIM08HP cells. Thought I might share the process here.
They have been presented in some other threads I think. I know they are not that good of a cell but at the price we can get them it was the cost-effective option for the power I need.
In case someone reading this hasn’t heard about those, they are advertised as 8Ah 3.7V cells and rated for 200A continuous or 400A burst.

SPIM08HP.jpg

I plan on building 2 x 14S3P packs out of the 84 cells I already got, it make for two 24Ah 51.8V packs or 1.24Kwh each. The use case is going to be a 10Kw friction drive two wheels racing vehicles (kind of a special one, I might share this build in another post). I plan on doing endurance races so the pack will suffer several rapid discharge and quick charge.
So my requirements are :
- Managing heat
- Auto balance charge/discharge
- Structurally good to endure quick replacement or crash.
I have two of those 16S 320A Chinese Bluetooth BMS : https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32997552090.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.66166c377h02Vd
I need to quickly change batteries so for the heat management I have thought of a passive tab cooling ideas, here is what it could look like :

pack.PNG

Cells are bolted on aluminium bus bars, then an aluminium box section isolated with kapton is bolted to all the bus bars with nylon or polyamide screws for not shorting all the bus bars and some thermal paste. Those bars can then transfer heat to the outer aluminium sheet metal shell and serve as structural part.

cell_tab.PNG

I plan on pressing the cells together with two plates and threaded roads. I’m not sold on this because some test results on pouch cells cycling show better life cycle when under pressure and some the other way around … I like this idea because it keeps the cells firmly together and give a rigid mounting option for the sheetmetal shells.
I’m still working on this design especially the quick connexion part.

What do you guys think ? :oops:

:bigthumb: I could see this working. From my experience with these cells they seem to last longer when compressed(I just wrap them in Kapton), otherwise they bloat pretty fast. Did you have any luck with this configuration? Or did you end up going a different direction?

Back