4WD Electric Off-Road Recumbent Pedal Assist "E-Bike" Build

Hi Ben,

I have the same Roboteq motor controller as you. I chose it after a good experience with a previous brushed Roboteq AX2550HE but haven't fired it up yet. Well, I almost did but when I hit the switch I let the smoke out of the power source. We killed the first AX2550 by getting water inside. Roboteq sorted me out even though it was quite clearly my fault. It was on the thing in the pic below, which was a previous iteration of the current project:

iQuad.jpg

Despite the slicks it was amazing on swampy ground and sand. Also lots of fun on grass.The Roboteq HBL2360 is for the new version, driving brushless hub motors that I'm putting together myself. Power will be from an A123 pack using the 26650 cells.

Here's a link for what I think is the recommended temp sensor for the HBL2360 just in case you want it: http://nz.element14.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?sku=1187031

Cool looking project, I'll be watching this one!

Best regards,

Jason

Ps - are you the Ben who designed the ATIB? That thing was awesome.

Hey Jason, awesome looking machine, checked out video too, nice work! Good to hear a good experience with Roboteq too, looking forward to seeing what these controllers can do. Will check out the temp sensors you mentioned also.

Yeah I designed the ATIB, it's just sitting collecting dust now unfortunately. But there are plans for version 2, full electric. One thing at a time I guess haha!

I love the clean look of the bike. the battery pack mount is great. Neat pack too. I'm also a fan of the new 18650 cells, I just wish there was a simpler method of connecting them. Something like those holders with integrated spring mounted connectors would do wonders for DIY battery packs.

That's an awesome design. My students and I are working on something similar.

Where did you get those wheels/tires?

How hard is it going to be to turn this vehicle at low speed?

Thanks, its coming along well. Should be all together and running by Christmas!

Sounds interesting, what is the purpose/target-user of the one you and your students are working on?

My wheels/tires are a custom made specifically for my design. And its probably not going to be super easy to steer at low speeds, and especially when stationary. This first build will be to test things like this, plus I have ideas in mind of how to overcome it.

Cheers,
Ben

Back