6000 Watt continous 14.000 rpm at 44v

Bazaki

10 kW
Hi,

What is want is a light weight motor, about 1-2kg that can handle 6kw continious at 14.000 rpm at 12s lipo so 44v at 136a water cooled.

So I think of this motor :
http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/58mm/5850-inrunner-brushless-motor-rc-boat-750kv-12000w/

There is a 360kv version of this.

For me continious power is really continious power because it is for a water propulsion system.

Would that work with good water cooling ?

A bigger c80100 outrunner maybe would work better but I did not see them with 350kv winding and it is harder to get it watercooled, since the windings are inside.

Any idea's ?

Yes it is possible but it costs 1000euro.

But I prefer a cheaper China motor but didn't find them yet, so probably I have to spend the money

You might be able to get away with that, if you're very lucky. At that point, the questions become primarily about the thermal mass, commutation frequency of whatever controller you're running it with, and bearing quality. It says that you can get away with 181A on the website; that's got to be peak and I'm unsure about whether you could actually sustain 100-120A through that thing for more than a couple of minutes given that it's only a two-pound motor that doesn't look to have a ton of copper mass. You might be able to get away with 100A continuous if you mounted it such that the majority of the can was enclosed in some sort of water cooling sleeve, but even then I'd be surprised. The other two issues have to do with your motor RPM, both electrical and mechanical. Running that motor on 60-70V (required if you want to float around 6kW continuous) is going to give you somewhere between 45k and 53k mechanical RPM, and I have no idea if the bearings are rated to do that kind of RPM on a regular basis for long periods of time; furthermore, that high mechanical RPM will translate to somewhere between 300k and 360k eRPM, and I'm unsure what quality of controller you're going to be able to find that can keep up with that commutation frequency.

All very true. And I have a lot of experience with a lot of motors and normally I would say it is a no go. But a torqeedo 4.0 can have 5kw input power continues at a very small torcman brushless motor at 48v at 190kv without water cooling.

So maybe with higher quality motor and controler the efficiency is so good compared to our "hobby stuff" that it is possible. But it comes with a price.

4kw input, and unlikely to be continuous, and of course it has water cooling since it runs under water. There's apparently air in the thermal pathway but the water cooled shell must be enough. It baffles me why they don't go with an inrunner and eliminate the air for a great thermal pathway to the water. Get one running with a quality sensorless controller and then it would be a great candidate for an oil fill with ATF and run much higher power or at least better efficiency with a far cooler motor.

Bazaki said:
All very true. And I have a lot of experience with a lot of motors and normally I would say it is a no go. But a torqeedo 4.0 can have 5kw input power continues at a very small torcman brushless motor at 48v at 190kv without water cooling.

So maybe with higher quality motor and controler the efficiency is so good compared to our "hobby stuff" that it is possible. But it comes with a price.

Hello Bazaki
i see you talked about the Torcman brushless motor:
Do you know this System with Torcman Motors - perhapst its interessting for you - (sorry but link is in german)
This kind of motor has already an gearbox inside
http://greenroad.at/cpd%20system.htm

That is really looking nice, any is this a ISM gearbox ? I think it can handle a lot more than 2.4kw for a few seconds.

Back