72v replacement kelly controller hall sensor errors

dingo117

10 mW
Hello people, I recently got a 72 volt kelly controller to replace a 48 volt one for an e-bike, I copied the settings (120 degree hall sensor being the main one) and the wiring numbers when wiring up the new controller, it all works fine when I power it on, no errors are given, but the moment I try turn the throttle the motor jolts then stops and the hall sensor error pops up on the controllers light signal.

The motor is rated 48-72v, I have tested the resistance of my 3 hall sensor pins, they all show 5 k ohms between the pin and ground, so those connections are good. I also tested the resistance of the 3 sensor pins on the motor side and they show around 9 k ohms between the pin and ground, so everything seems to be connected.

Also after I reset the power but turn the throttle a decent way to begin with the motor spins very very slowly and in a jiggly way. and if I lower the throttle it stops and gets the error again. any ideas? the motor is a mid drive cyclone 3000w one, the new controller is the KBS72101X, the original is the KBS 48101L.

I should add, the pins used are the 3 hall sensors on pins 16-17-18, the 5v output on pin 5, ground/return on pin 21, power input pin 7, then pins 4 (5v power output) , 3 (analogy throttle) and 19 (ground/return) for the throttle. these are the same pin types on the KBS-X besides pin 19 on the KBS-L being changed to 20 on the KBS-X.

Well after talking with kelly controls they sorted it out for me, i need to use a voltage source higher than the 5 volt supply of the controller for the hall sensor voltage input, they suggest 6-12 volts, apparently the previous L controller uses a lower pull up value than the new one. sadly the controller they gave me doesn't have a 12 volt output so i will have to find it from some where else! i tried a 9 volt battery and that made it work.

Back