Alternatives to Cycle Analyst for current throttle

RC_guy

10 W
Hey there, sorry if this subject has been covered but here it goes...

I have a MAC 7T hub motor running with a 40 amp enfineon 12 x 3077 fet controller.
I run the system on 48volts 12S lipo so I have 6 5000mha turnigy lipos 3 are in parallel and connected in series for 12S.

I currently have a watt meter for telling me the voltage and mha taken from the battery. http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10080__Turnigy_130A_Watt_Meter_and_Power_Analyzer.html

The main feature that I want from the CA is the current throttle possibility. On my setup, using whatever kind of throttle, thumb or half twist, its very difficult to give throttle smoothly.
The motor just peaks at 40+ amps until it reaches a speed.

Is there another say sexier unit that allows you to modify to a current throttle?

Thanks

None that I know of,,,the CAis pretty much the top of the tree for these sort of devices

if your ok with a bit of programming ( arduino ) you can put together all the electronics for around $20 to make a current controlled throttle.

NeilP said:
None that I know of,,,the CAis pretty much the top of the tree for these sort of devices
+1
But - if your throttle is non-linear, a current throttle will help, but still not perform up to snuff - the idea is to get 1:1 0-100% current vs throttle rotation. So - you need a good hall throttle or something like a Magura resistive throttle (I like). Here's a post or two about 'fixing' cheap hall throttles, although it seems to need more sweat equity than I would give...

Anyhow, a better throttle might be a place to start - Holmes Hobbies always has a very good price for Magura and is a respected ES member.

Here's a thread about a DIY current throttle....

Depending on exactly what is happening and how you use the throttle, etc., Zombiess' Throttle Tamer may also help. It's not a current-throttle unit, but it has ramping settings and such that might do it for you. You can read about it in his thread and see if it might do what you want.
http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=50244

Thanks for the replies guys so just to explain my understanding and my current situation.
I use the thumb throttle from cellman along with the MAC motor.

I also used a half twist grip throttle but did not like that one (also from cellman). There was a big dead band at the beginning and the end of the rotation. The thumb throttle I am using now has pretty much no dead band.
The throttle seems to perform very well but the only problem is if I go to 1/2 throttle from a stand still, I get full power(peaks and then settles) until I reach a certain speed.
I would like my throttle to work more like a car or motorcycle, the more you give gas, the more power you get, regardless of speed.

I would then be able to accelerate smoothly instead of peaking at 40+ amps,,,right?

Would a combination of the CA with my cheapy thumb throttle achieve this?

RC_guy said:
Yep - although for a MAC the V3 is a nicer choice if you can swing the added cost because the throttle ramping can soften the load on the gears/clutch. It also has dead zone adjustments. If you got the upgraded MAC with temp sensor, the V3 will do temp display and power rollback to prevent overheating.

Here's a post with features and links to manuals - see if you feel comfortable with the installations....

Thanks I looked at bothe v2.3 and V3. I like the fact that I can get the temp reading but my motor just gets to about 48 celcius after a 20km ride at 50kph on a hot summer day.
It just seems that the v3 has so many wires I would never use. Are those wires easily removable and can your re-seal the CA.

teklektik said:
RC_guy said:
Yep - although for a MAC the V3 is a nicer choice if you can swing the added cost because the throttle ramping can soften the load on the gears/clutch. It also has dead zone adjustments. If you got the upgraded MAC with temp sensor, the V3 will do temp display and power rollback to prevent overheating.

Here's a post with features and links to manuals - see if you feel comfortable with the installations....

If you have no hills and don't flog your motor into overheating running flat out, then the V2 may be fine.

Both the V2 and V3 use the same case - it has 6 open holes in the bottom (not sealed) through which the wires exit. The upper/lower case halves come sealed with silicone but you may get away without replacing it after you open the case (I never re-gooped mine and they never gave me a problem in the rain).

You can unsolder anything you don't need from the PCB and just pull the wires, although some connectors share a single Gnd and +5v lead to the PCB (a little more work to separate out). I started out with a minimal V3 custom harness and ended up adding everything back in within the year.... :roll: The new ebikes.ca plug-and-play PAS wheel is great and a nice addition (kind of like foot-activated cruise control...)

I just saw a dc power for bike lights comming out of the V3. Whats the power and voltage output?
Is it customizable?

Thanks

I came to the CA party late but running a CAV3 for 'couple months I can say the range of throttle adjustment is extremely useful. Plus, CAV3 offers 3 presets that store/recall various parameters which makes it easy enough to quickly switch operating modes. I love having mild, medium & max parameters readily available.

RC_guy - You have a programmable controller? If so, you've tried different primary and phase current settings and set "overcurrent detection delay" to zero (0)? Modifying these parameters makes a big difference in acceleration from a dead-stop. Also sets power usage/draw. Cellman or Lyen have the controller programming cable for sale (inexpensively, too). XPD has a great user friendly interface and works perfectly with both 12 FET Cellman and Lyen controllers that I have.

See: XPD Open Source Keywin e-bike Lab Replacement (anpaza)
http://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27927

Having said all that, and not to diminish the many attempts at power control, I'd go ahead and start saving your pennies for a CA with its many benefits besides mere monitoring. The pre-released V3 may offer you more, but that's the bleeding edge where you may not want to play.

http://ebikes.ca/drainbrain.shtml

Could be a great stocking stuffer .... if .....

Back