BBSHD Lefty Build

johnboy

10 mW
Before

Started with a Cannondale Lefty 29er I purchased used off craigslist for $500. New the bike was around $2300!
The kid who owned it didn't keep it very well. I cleaned, degreased and regreased every bearing in the bike that I could to get it feeling like new.
The shock was serviced last year so it's like new.

I upgraded the brakes to Shimano M785, Shimano Ice rotors, 10 speed Shimano shadow+ rear derailleur, Maxxis Hookworm tires.
I took the Cirrus seat-post from my wife's e-bike (came with it for free) since she does not weight enough to benefit from the elastic polymers installed.

After

As for the electric side of things I went with a BBSHD from Luna Cycle for my 73mm BB.
I converted the original 73mm BB30 bottom bracket to a conventional BB using FSA's conversion kit and a homemade press from a large bolt and a couple washers! Took some elbow grease.
42 teeth Luna chainring. Cassette is 34-11 t.

The battery is 52v 24ah from Luna.
I also hooked it up to the batt-man display to keep an eye on my battery/watts.

Between the lefty shock and the Cirrus seatpost/hookworm tires it rides like a dream. No fatigue, cruises over potholes doing 30+ no problem.
For some specs it weighs 51 pounds, max speed of about 35 mph on flat on a fresh charge in an aero tuck with motor only and I put out 1500 watts according to the batt-man.
On a slight downhill I have had it up to 43 mph and I'm sure I could have gotten more.

I have thought about trying a new controller to up my amps to 40-45 and squeeze out a bit more performance but after consideration I have decided not to as I feel gaining a few more mph is not worth it for the added cost, work, less reliability and diminishing returns, and the bike would be less stealthy (sometimes I carry my battery in a backpack)

If I want to go faster I'll just buy the Honda VFR I have had my eye on!

I have many more pics of the build I can post in a separate thread if it would help anyone.

Nice work. I Like that bike.
I should be receiving my BBSHD + battery pack, tomorrow. I'll be putting mine on a Fuji Roubaix road bike. Battery will go in my back pack for more stealth. :)

How is the cabling for the BBSHD? Does it need some protective heat shrink over it? Or are they fairly well insulated?
Is the head unit removable?

How long did it take you?

Thanks!

BBSHD is awesome!

The cables are very well insulated and mine came covered with an outer plastic coating for extra protection.
Yes both the bafang head unit and battman display are removable (just one wire).
Not sure if the bbshd will function without the head unit or not if that is what you are asking.

Entire build took about 8 hours but that includes basically rebuilding the bike from the ground up.
The electric portion of the build took about 3 hours taking my time.

Nice stuff. I got mine today, but I'm an idiot, I didn't check to see what type of BB I had. It turns out I have a FSA bracket.
So I've ordered the FSA BB30 conversion kit from wiggle. Should arrive next week.

Back