BBSHD PEEK and/or Metal Gear Wanted

whitebsw

1 µW
Hello everyone. Trying to complete my first ebike build and am in need of either a PEEK Gear or metal gear for the BBSHD. This is a "souped-up" build w/ the BAC 855 controller and pretty large battery pack. From what I've gathered the nylon gear just isn't going to hold up for the riding I plan to do. Seems like Luna never has either of these in stock and I worry they may never again. Tired of waiting. Figured I'd reach out to see if anyone had either laying around they wanted to get rid of. Willing to pay for shipping and whatever reasonable price you ask. Appreciate any assistance you can provide.

Keep the motor spinning in an efficient RPM range, and torque in the reduction gear will be moderate. Leave it in top gear and beat on it like you're trying to break it, and it will oblige you.

Switching steel-on-polymer gears to steel-on-steel risks tearing up both the metal gears, because the design didn't accommodate that. A steel gear intended to run on nylon doesn't have to be hardened or generously lubricated like a steel gear pair. Substituting a second steel gear for nylon would be like getting a tungsten carbide crown on a bum tooth. Yeah, sure it will keep that tooth from wearing, but it will trash the natural tooth that bites against it.

The steel gears are not around because they were a failure. those peanut butter gear stories are from those that don’t control temperatures. Or ride a BBS01-02 like it’s a BBSHD.

Appreciate the feedback. Will experiment with the nylon gear and see how it holds up taking into consideration both motor temp control and keeping torque within reasonable ranges. Will likely upgrade grease here soon and see how that helps things.

Back