BH Atom City 2019 - drive power cuts out at regular intervals

hbarsquared

1 µW
I have a BH Atom that I bought new in 2019 that has developed a very annoying problem. The pedal assist will cut out for a period of time (initially about 5 seconds, now up to 30), and then cut back in. This repeats on regular intervals - it isn't random like you would expect with a loose connection or a short, the intervals are never shorter than about 5 seconds. Initially it was infrequent, but it has been getting much worse. My wife has the same model so I've been able to rule out some issues.

• It is not the battery or control unit (computer?), I've swapped in my wife's and the issue still occurs
  • The computer never turns off or loses power. It reports a reasonable value for the instantaneous power even during the outages
  • I found a post on a different forum that claimed the connector between the battery and the frame had a flaw where it could sit too low resulting in an intermittent connection. I've shimmed the connector to raise it up about 1mm
What should be my next steps in troubleshooting this? Is there a likely root cause that can narrow down the search?

I don't know the BH Atom, but there are timeouts on some systems if they don't detect either wheel motion or pedalling, or other input; these happen when a sensor has failed or is not correctly spaced with the magnet/etc that triggers the sensor.

Back