Bionx PL500HS, Dahon MU SL, Schlumpf High Speed Drive

dennis

10 W
After testing the system for over 500 miles, I am going to give a brief review of the Bionx PL500HS system paired with a Schlumpf high speed drive. Top speed is 26 mph on the flats throttle only with a combined weight of rider and bike of about 200lbs with a spare battery carried in a backpack. When I pedal along at full throttle, max speed is 29 to 30 mph on the flats, but it's really exhausting to try to keep that up for more than a couple of miles but it's a great work out and the pedal cadence is kept at a normal pace with the Schlumpf HS drive, even at speeds above 26 mph at full throttle and when pedaling down a steep hill non assisted at over 40mph. Range is pretty good if I pedal alot, about 38 to 45 miles per battery. Full throttle blasts at top speed with pedal assist would reduce that to about 18 to 20 miles per battery, but at that speed I have not encountered many road bikes that can keep up with me for more than 2 to 3 miles on the flats, even when they are drafting close behind me. Except for one that did pass me at the end of a 43 mile ride during a 2 mile sprint when I was too worn out to pedal assist much above 27mph, but I still caught and passed him at mile 3 using throttle only at about 24 mph, when he reached his V02 max. Going uphill, No non assisted bike can keep up, speeds can be as high as 18 to 20mph when I pedal assist. On steep down hills, road bikes have about a 5-6 mph edge due to the cogging effect of the hub motor but because it's a high speed low torque motor, the cogging is not as bad as the higher torque PL350 motor that I used to own. Top downhill speed so far combined with vigorous pedaling is 42-43mph. If I use the throttle at these downhill speeds, I noticed that it actally adds drag to the spinning motor. Another thing I noticed is when pedaling with zero motor assist above 18 mph, the battery gains charge.
Schlumpf high speed drive specs: low gear retains normal ratio for the 52T front crank ring, but at high gear it's increased by 2.5 times, ineffect turns it into a 130T front crank ring. 14T-28T freewheel.
a few pictures of the bike at Malibu Bluffs Park, Calif. see link for more info: http://www.utahtrikes.com/ARTICLE-33.html
IMG_0567 (Custom).JPGIMG_0569 (Custom).JPGIMG_0568 (Custom) (3).JPG

Those are nice kits.. But heres the deal.. You pay over 10X the actual cost for the kit.

I have been buying those kits for $260 from Indonesia. Bionx has a 1 man european factory they built just for show. All the kits are made in indonesia then shipped throughout europe to have a few spokes installed for the made in europe sticker.

PM me and Ill send you the indonesian website with prices etc.

Sorry, I just hate seeing people get stung like this.

Yep, I'm sure. Canada/Europe same to me lol... I think they are great kits. I just dont see the need for them to rob from people and say they are made in Canada when only 3% of their kits are made in their 1 man factory.

Keep in mind these are out the backdoor sales. This is coming directly from the company that makes them for Bionx. When I ordered and the reason I said Europe was I ordered from a website that said it was in Austria, but my packages were all postmarked Belawan Indonesia. The $268 price tag includes air shipping from indonesia, so to be completely true the actual cost of Bionx kits are about $160. Theres nothing special about them except the pricetag. As american consumers we see a high pricetag and assume that that is the value of the product.

Also. You can buy cyclone kits for $144 (not including shipping) lol

here I thought I had better post the info.
You have to buy in bulk 2 or more. I purchased 6 and gave them as presents to family/friends.

I hate seeing companies like Bionx claiming they are made in europe or canada and ripping people off.

Same with the optibikes, they can be bought for $470 from the china manufacturer that actually makes them.

Features Specifications: Bionx E Bike Conversion Kit Lipo Paypal
Speed: Variable Speed Function: Driving Protect Feature: Waterproof
Usage: Electric Bicycle
Detailed Product Description

NEW ON MARKET

Description:

The BionX electric bike kitcan turn almost any bike into an electric Pedalic. A pedalic is a power assisted bike which adds motor power as you pedal. You can set the amount of assistneeded with the onboardcomputer. The BionX has 4 levels of motor assist from 25% to 200%. But you can also drive it without any assistance needed from you, just like a motorbike!

Hubmotor is rated at 700W nominal power to 100W peak. 4 generation levels: The battery recharges slightly when riding, braking or going downhill. Addidionally you can regulate the power with the throttle, thatmeans that you dont have to pedal anymore. The motor can be installed on mostbicycles, simply byreplacing the rear wheel of your bicycle with the BionXwheel and wheelmotor. The BionX system can be installed on a tandem, disc-brakeoreven a 24-speed bicycle. The battery is 37V 18ah Lithium Polymer type, weighsonly 14 lbs. and can power your bike 70-120 miles depending on the assistance level you ride at. The battery is installed on thelowerframe using the water bottle mount. This technology allows aquickinstallation or removal of the battery.
It is also possible to install the battery on the rear bicycle rack (good for folding bikes) or as you can see on the picture..
The standard BionX kit ispedal assist which gives you motor power as you pedal.
The additional power ondemand (POD) kit comes with a handlebar mounted throttle so you can eitherpedal along with the motor or not pedal atall.
Available for 20",24", 26" or 28" wheels.
The BionX-Warranty covers themotor and control console for 2 years. The battery has a one-year warranty against any manufacturers defects in material or workmanship.

Package contents (= 1 conversion Set):

- Front Motor Brushless(700Watt)

- Handlebar throttle with cruise control

- Battery: Lithium PolymerTechnologie (37V; 18 Ah)

- Charger for LithiumPolymer Batteries(Input worldwide 100-250V), takes 2 hours to charge the batteries

- waterproof battery box

- Smart power controller

- All neccessary wiring

- Onboard computer

- Instructions

Specs

- Top Speed on a flat surface, no wind, 160lbs Driver: 26mph ( =42km/h)

- 700W (1000W max)

- 37V 18Ah LiPo battery

- 50 miles @ 26mph (tested)

70 miles @ 22mph

100 miles @ 19mph

up to 120 miles @ 17mph

- it can take inclines up to 15%

Pricelist:

(Minmium order quantity is 2 conversion kits. Ask for bulk discounts)

700 Watt Motor/37Vbattery Pack: 536.68$(Price for 2 kits) => $268.34/kit

All prices including worldwide shipping costs!

Important

Payment only via PayPal (very safe, very fast). We are PayPal verified!!

Shipping within 24h from Austria after receiving Payment

Shipping via DHL, UPS or TNT. Delivery times vary (Europe: 2-5 Business Days, Worldwide up to 10 Business days)

We will be happy to get to know you. Please view my other items for discounts, too!

I paid $1,800 for the PL500 kit. I'm pretty skeptical about a $260 price, sounds too good to be true. There are alot of internet scams. I would like your contact info, especially if you have the information for the asian manufacturer if this pans out to be true and not a scam. My back up battery is only holding a 70 percent charge after 2.5 years of hard use and I'm looking for a replacement, maybe I can even special order a larger amp hour battery that includes the Bionx controller that can be carried in a backpack.

Yeah you got ripped. Sorry.
It totally pisses me off to see companies like Bionx/Crystalyte/cyclone rip people off
They are total thieves and as consumers because we have $$ we are buying into stupidity.

I didnt wanna post the website but here it is. I bought 6 kits from them (2 kits 3 seperate times). I had to approach them like I was a dealer.
Bionx kits: http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?Type=&year=&month=&location=&keyword=&SearchText=bionx&Country=&srchLocation=&srchYearMonth=&IndexArea=product_en&CatId=0

BTW the montague bikes W kits are only $700. BIONX = THIEVES

Crystalyte Roadrunner:
http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/100595601/Roadrunner_Brushless_Bicycle_Hub_Motor_Kit.html ($144 not including shipping and you must order in quantity)

Cyclone knockoffs (these are the ebay ones that go for $700) If you buy in bulk they are only $120
http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/101237483/500w_Motorised_Electric_Motor_Bike_Bicycle.html

The bionx is all made in quebec the city is called asbestos and my friend who sells them actually went there for a tour and confirmed that motor and all electronic is produced and assembled there...only the batteries are made by sony.

Lifepo4 36V 20AH are $74 with BMS if you buy in bulk.. Im unsure about 48V etc

Do a youtube search of Bionx factory...

They made a "token" 1 man factory to make up 3% of their products.

Im not slamming them, they make a decent kit. Im just saying dont believe everything you hear about these manufacturers and I think we desperately need electric transportation, just at what cost?

No we need to let these people rip us off?
heres the bionx "factory video" Its about 2,000' feet, no machines are running and everything is covered in lexan. Its a fake factory.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AvRrytzSMKI

My wife and I have been on 3 china tours along with all the "factories" its all fake buddy. It is supposed to add value to their product. $140-$160 product selling for $1800 allows for alot of fake crap.

Sorry, didnt want to burst any bubbles. I just hate seeing people get ripped off.

jboss,
Something is not right for the specs of the Bionx kit on your link. 1st Bionx kits are usually rear motor kits unless you special order it and 2nd the PL500HS kit's nominal output is 500W not 700W and peak is 1200W not 1000W. Here is a link to the dealer I purchased the kit from, the kit specs do not match yours. http://www.greenspeed.us/bionx_500_lithium_battery.htm

Yes... You both are correct............

Obviously you paid to much, dont want to believe it. Im not trying to step on any toes. The very first place I went was LAGUNA ELECTRIC CYCLERY. Im in OC . The owner hushed me 4x because customers were in there then I came back with a kitabout 3 weeks later to show him. He got angry and made me leave.

The 500W kits are actually 700W kits. Not clones. These are exactly the same kits he has on the $700 or "$2300" Montagues he uses for test rides up that hill next to his shop.
We matched them up exactly thats them alright. lol he got mad and made me leave. I am a bit loud and he had a couple customers there, I started fiddling around in my bionx box pulling out the parts matching them up, then he remembered who I was lol.

Anyways. Just a heads up.

The reason Im posting is because I was just reading on DIgg about e-bike kits then saw the huge markup and got angry. Especially cars/trucks..

Take it as you will. or even better call that guy at laguna electric cyclery lol.. He doesnt even know the difference between lipo, lithium ion, or Lifepo4. I was questioning him about the Bionx batteries all he knew was they were lithium lol..

At laguna electric cyclery.. where you bought your kit.. All the e-bikes he has drop shipped for him from all over asia cost no more than $300 (Except for the montague w bionx $700) and he sells for $1200-$2800.

Before you pass judgement on me take a look through Alibaba.. you will find every kit on the market there, not knock offs the actual kits. I understand you want to believe your kits were made in Canada.. and they are worth $1800 but in reality they cost about $140-$160 to manufacture.

Not trying to be a jerk... Just trying to stop these kinds of people from ripping off the end users

well, Im not interested in "making" you believe.. I was just trying to help out and keep more consumers from getting duped.. How about if I send you pictures and you upload them.

Kinda sucks being harassed for trying to help the community. :(

sorry, just tired..

I'll try and get close ups this week..

which board would you like pictures of

The controller's PCB would be nice. High-res, if you've got a good camera.

jboss said:
Kinda sucks being harassed for trying to help the community. :(

If it sounds too good to be true it usually is. The proof is in the pudding. Put up or shut up. A picture is worth a 1,000 words. Etc. etc. etc. :)

Hmm, before we overjoyed with the discovery of this rather inexpensive and supposedly real Bionx kit, check out the Alibaba site itself.

Here it is:

http://resources.alibaba.com/topic/311001/RC_Distributors_Ballack_eK_anyone_.htm

And it clearly shows that this person who sells these kits is extremely suspicious..

Personally, I own a Dahon Mu SL with the P250 Bionx kit (the real expensive thing) and knows the dealer who distributes the system. The expense of the kit is actually the battery and motor, especially the Lithium Ion kind..

One concern I have with the 37V 18Ah battery is this. The original poster who claimed that we were all suckers claimed that this is a LiPO battery so its special Lithium Ion. Yes, it is special, but it is a Lithium Polymer battery, which means it is not encased in any solid casing or chassis. Weight wise and capacity would only be improved by about 20% or so against an original Lithium Ion variety. And this battery is very expensive and very cost prohibitive, especially at the capacity the guy's selling. In fact, if his prices are right, then Toyota themselves are clearly riping off their customers too! LiPO for $100 or so? You tell me where I can buy it in Asia considering that it is true, I know of many companies that will place millions of orders today. The fact of the matter is, his battery type does not exist..

By the way, a Lithium - Ion battery is a Lithium Ion battery. The only difference is in the capacity, size and chemical composition used in the electrolytes, cathode and anode terminals, so the dealer you argued with was right. You simply referred LiPO, but it is still a secondary cell.

Another odd thing that he mentioned is the motor wattage. He said the motor is really 700w, though it's printed as 500w. Assuming that it is 700w, that's a lot of current required to spin up the motor itself, which means it requires a significant discharge, or a deep discharge from the battery. Bionx was right is stating the fact that a 500w can literally kill the lifespan of the battery, especially the LiPO kind where a significant deep discharge to zero will damage the battery and it's ability to regain its full charge. And the specs on the mileage seems suspect. I did some calculations myself and the figures don't seem to pan out. Unless ofcourse you plan on disposing batteries every few trips or so. Oh sorry, the LiPO battery is only less than $300.

And the battery voltage. I can understand a 36v, but 37v? What kind of cell is this? And at what arrangement and does it adopt load balancing digitally or analog. I really like the original poster to explain to me.

Back