BionX refuses to connect to connect to BBI or BigXionFlasher

nantucket101

1 µW
Hi folks,

I Have a very strange problem, wondering if anyone may have heard of anything like this.

I tried plugging my P 350DV (works fine, but error code 60) into my PC running BBI offline using an OEM USB Bionx adapter (looks like this). The BBI software recognizes the adapter and attempts to scan the system, but always seems unable to detect the console. I don't get any "SLAVE CAN" status or anything that suggests the system is detected and connected. Tried everything I could think of, checked diagnostics, just not sure why it refuses to be detected.

My PC seems to have the correct drivers working, and it shows up as a Serial Port device and is detected by BBI. It seems like BBI can't talk to my BionX bike

Any ideas? My console is rev 66, a G2 console. Also tried code 41 (I2C) with no luck. Is there some way to hard reset?

BionX are funky. Dude named Syonyk, or similar, had a lot of info and knowledge on these.

Serial com devices are also funky. Seeing the adapter, but not the connected equipment, is very common. Sometimes the adapter just does not work, or just not on your particular PC config.

There are COM ports 1 thru 8, one may be mandatory, others may not work on your PC due to conflict. There may be several which should work or only one. Use of COM5 is fairly common.

There are multiple different speeds, most often 115,000, but possibly ranging down to 2400. There is usually only one that will work, any PC should handle any of these.

Also multiple packet configurations, two most common IIRC are N81 and E71. Again only one should work and there should be no PC conflict or issues.

These last three should all be selectable options from a menu, without accurate documentation, and often even if you do have it, stepping thru the possible combinations may be the best option.

Also try with another PC. Fairly common to have a conflict with the single COM port accepted by the hardware that is PC specific. SFAIK the port number specifically demanded by the device, if any, is not any kind of functionality limitation but just a labeling demand.

You might also try an old PC with a real serial port, and a fully wired cable, but pinouts required can be complex and variable. Might need a null modem cable.

Thanks AngryBob. Going to try for a legacy store for the right CANBUS. In this situation i think it's because the dealer had a v1 CANBUS and I have a v2 system. Then I'll try around with those serial port/baud rate settings you've mentioned.

Please report back on your findings as these may help others in the future who are having the same or similar problem.

Update: Unless I'm missing something bigxionflasher doesnt work with a bbi interface as i get the error code (21) where it needs a tinycan

I bought a surplus bbi2 interface and now everything connects to the dealer software. I guess its not compatible with a bbi1 interface

I'm still trying to figure out the speed limiter if anyone knows what I'm missing :)

Sorry I missed the update.

Just wanted to note the value of the response, and kudos to the OP for verifying a solution to the problem.

So many fail to do this basic step. A collective memory of what went wrong, without the workable solution, has little value other than detailing what did NOT work.

When the collective memory includes details of not just the problem, but ALSO the corresponding solution, Then, and only then, does it attain the level of value that is the object of the exercise.

Again, Thank You.

AngryBob said:
So many fail to do this basic step. A collective memory of what went wrong, without the workable solution, has little value other than detailing what did NOT work.

When the collective memory includes details of not just the problem, but ALSO the corresponding solution, Then, and only then, does it attain the level of value that is the object of the exercise.

in your estimation, on a scale of zero to 255 how would you rate ESFB in this regard??

IMO, Facebook in general is a useless, worthless, total waste of time that I have spent virtually no time at all looking at. It is, to me, a near-perfect example of the garbage produced by much of modern "social media".

Unless you really want to know who just farted at taco bell.

In terms of ESFB, all I know about is what I have read here, though I do have quite a bit of specific and fairly dramatically negative info about at least one of the more unpleasant individuals involved in some of the more objectionable interactions. Plus some of his running dogs, allies, and paid accomplices.

Too many bullies, and too many soft people who do not know how to deal with such. Also, too many cowards who are upset and disturbed by the methods necessary to do so.

EDIT TO ADD : 90 second evaluation of ESFB - Disorganized random tidbits of largely useless and unverified pseudo-information. No practical value whatsoever, IMO. Possibly useful as advertising space for vendors. Like and dislike buttons an important feature for many, which are contra-indicated for useful discussion. The unfortunate reality of life is that most people are uninformed idiots, and their opinions are largely useless and irrelevant. The trick is to find those who actually know what they are talking about, and shut up and listen. Listening to idiots is not often useful, unless you are in product development and you wish to avoid lawsuits and warranty claims. Can be useful to learn what NOT to do, and sometimes entertaining.

In terms of my personal area of interest, related to my profession, troubleshooting, diagnostics, and repair, not something I will bother to ever look at again, unless you feel that a more detailed analysis would be of use to you.

Back